View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi my friend bought her Great Danes from Germany, The commands she gives are in German. i.e Sit, Laydown etc.
I only know sit in German. Eventually a dog would proberbly understand the words change. But it is different and will be confusing for the dog.
I understand that a dogs interests are put before your own. Why shouldnt i get a dog. Ive said i wont get one right now, but you ask me why do i want one. I love dogs, and i want to share my life with one. My children go to creche, ive got them booked in as soon as i arrive at the next place, they can start. So i would have more time for a dog. However as i said before i have discussed this with my husband and we are going to wait until the time is right.
With dog breeds, you will always be inexperienced with a breed until you have owned it. My relatives have always owned rottweilers.
I didnt actually get that far with the rescue place before changing my mind..with telling them about my two dogs before. Why are you holding a grudge against me because it didnt work out with my labs??? Yes i tried to keep one, and she destroyed more stuff.
Anytime i ever decide to do something and go for advice before hand, everyone tells me its a bad idea, and not to do it...when they already have things like more than one dog themselves. Why shouldnt i want a dog.
Im always being told not to have or do something. Ive agreed now proberbly isnt the best time. I wont even bother trying to rescue a dog then, ill just go out and buy a puppy. I thought people wanted more people to rescue dogs and buy less puppies, obviously i was wrong.
Well thanks for all your advice. Im not going to bother with advice anymore, im just going to do it.
Also i didnt have any intensions of getting rid of my dogs when i bought them. I tried my best and two were too much, and the other carried on with eating my house and clothes, anything she could get a hold of.
So dont criticize..i didnt give up after one thing chewed up, i tried until she ate my mother in laws floor which costs £1000 for me to replace, and my brand new leather sofa. Im sorry you all dissagree with me.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2006, 10:04 PM
(I just feel like you pick & choose when you feel like you want a dog.)

I do not thank you very much!!! due to a so called friend i lost my dog. Then i tried with another breed, after it apparently being such a good family dog. They dont mature until 5. So forget it, I tried my best, thats all i can do.
What do you want me to do?? keep buying new sofa's and petting the dog when it destroys something? maybe even give him/her a treat.
Besides if i wanted to buy a dog when ever i decided to pick and choose, its my money and i can.
But im not, im not like that...so dont judge me!! i told you i tried my best and it didnt work out. Not everyone is perfect!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by jade&sky View Post

I do not thank you very much!!! due to a so called friend i lost my dog. Then i tried with another breed, after it apparently being such a good family dog. They dont mature until 5. So forget it, I tried my best, thats all i can do.
What do you want me to do?? keep buying new sofa's and petting the dog when it destroys something? maybe even give him/her a treat.
Besides if i wanted to buy a dog when ever i decided to pick and choose, its my money and i can.
But im not, im not like that...so dont judge me!! i told you i tried my best and it didnt work out. Not everyone is perfect!

I repeat - you asked for the advice - so we are entitled to give it. Honestly I dont think you know or sound like you know what you want - what breed/what age whatever.

Noone could satop you from going out and buying a puppy - you are right its your money to do with as you wish - i would sincerely wish though that the breeder would be reputable and advise you in your choice - or would you not take advice from them either if they didnt deem you suitable?

I am not personally attacking you - i am responding to what you are asking about and I genuinely believe a rescue placement is FOR LIFE so if a rescue didnt want to rehome to you with your circumstances I would back that decision and if someone told me the same thing in my circumstances i would respect that decision too - sometimes one has to step back and look from someone elses eyes and see the situation to recognise its perhaps not ideal. From previous posts etc thats what i am doing.

I asked why you want a dog - for exactly that reason - Why ?? Its a genuine question - what do you want from your dog ??? if its company etc whilst your husband works long hours etc and kids are in creche - great thats a fair thing - but make sure you choose your breed wisely and that is what advice is for is it not ? to make an informed decision based on all the information ?

To be honest your last response doesnt exactly instill maturity does it ? There is no need for sarcasm as i wasnt particularly unpleasant in my comments just truthful and sometimes the truth hurts.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Just remember this i'll buy what i want IS a living animal with a beating heart and strong feelings.
Its not a jumper from Next.

Just answer this. Who do you blame for the behaviour of your dogs?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 10:58 PM

I can understand you being on the defensive, but please understand that the comments being made are not just in the interests of your potential dog but for you and your family as well, in the hopes of preventing further heartbreak all round.

The simple fact is, any dog of any background, any age, and any breed, can chew and be difficult to manage.
In taking on any dog, unless an owner goes in to it with eyes wide open, assuming the worst possible scenarios can and often will happen in these regards, then that owner is fooling themselves.

No one anywhere can say they had one or two dogs of this or that breed or age and that because they were a disaster all like dogs will be, and no one can say that their one or two dogs of any breed or age were perfectly behaved therefore all like breeds will be so.

Most puppies chew while teething and this can become habit.
Many older dogs from rescue might chew because of the stresses they have already had to deal with including from puppyhood chewing which became the aforementioned habit.
There are no guarantees in that regard, least of all with a young pup if the owner does not know how to deal with it or to get help from someone who is experienced in that regard.

I lived in married quarters myself until recently and yes I was able to adopt during the ten years of that lifestyle, and I made sure money was put aside for any potential MQ damage charges too - not that I ever had any but thats by the by.

I never have and never will have expensive furniture *in case* of doggy damage happening, I`d rather get second hand sofas for £30 however often, than put the cost of an inanimate bit of replaceable furniture as a higher priority than the living, breathing, thinking, feeling, dogs which `may` damage it.

It saddens me greatly that possessions are considered more important than the love and companionship offered by the animals we bring in to our lives.

The stark but true choice is this - dog or furnishings.
Which ever comes highest to anyone is what they should choose, then live with it, including accepting the ups and downs of living with that choice, and frankly, having a home devoid of a dog is a more ethical decision to make than taking on several dogs [ briefly ] which end up going through however many other homes or rescue centres because they develop habits some are unable or unwilling to work through for whatever reason, which get passed on to other homes again and again in all too many cases.

To anyone wanting a dog from any source - please consider this first - do you want a dog for the dogs sake, or just for your own wants ?
A dogs life and future as our companion is of our making, we shape them, we put them in situations which they may find difficult to cope with at times, and if we are not prepared to work through the rough as well as the smooth, including swallowing the financial consequences whatever they may be, then we must ask ourselves if we are up to the commitment involved for the *dogs`* sakes.

They have to come before what we, as a species, think is a `right` - dog ownership is a privelige, not something we have any right to demand just because its what we `want` and beggar the consequences to the dogs lives.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I have read this entire thread, and have to agree with other posters, it seems to me,you have asked for advice, but do not like it when its given...You want a dog, but having already rehomed 2, wonder if you are thinking with your heart or you head...Puppys be it 1 or 2 are a lot of work....they will chew, they will mess in the house, the first few months is very hard work...
Rotties are fantastic dogs, in the right hands, but like all the big breeds need to be socalised and trained from day 1
I too, don't want to sound harsh, but do feel its the wrong time for you to get another dog, and really feel a rottie is not the right breed for you........
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't post on here very often. I just like to enjoy other peoples threads. This post saddens me deeply & unfortunately i have to voice my opinion.
This thread is a prime example of why dogs end up being rehomed due to irresponsible owners.
The only advice i can give is if you really want a dog.... go to Toys R Us. They don't cost anything to look after. You can put it in the cupboard when you get bored of it & they won't chew your new furniture when your asleep.
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Hi my friend bought her Great Danes from Germany, The commands she gives are in German. i.e Sit, Laydown etc.
I only know sit in German. Eventually a dog would proberbly understand the words change. But it is different and will be confusing for the dog.
My two dogs know commands in a variety of languages including English, French, Chinese and Indonesian. They also know 5 different words for sit depending on who's asking them and where they are :smt002. As previously stated, dogs don't understand English or any other language and are very adaptable to learning. You don't have to use German commands with your dog just because you're in Germany

On a less pleasant note. Currently there a very strict laws in Germany regarding certain breeds of dog. There are national dogs laws and local dog laws that you'll have to learn about. Rottweilers are one of those breeds affected by the laws. In general the German people are not too fond of the guarding and bull breeds at the moment and you may find you get a lot of negative reaction to a pet Rottweiler there. Please also check out the local dog laws in your area in Germany before you get there as you may not even be able to import a Rottweiler into that area. If you can, you may have to register the dog and obtain a dog handler's license. (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news)
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 05:58 AM
i personally dont think that now is the right time for you to be considering getting another dog or puppy. you need to sort out your priorities in life and your financial situation so that you have the funds to purchase the dog and pay vets bills ect.

please dont take this as a critiscm but a dog is a commitment for quite a number of years and not something that should be entered into on a whim or desire.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 08:45 AM
I too can understand you being defensive - the truth hurts, and you are being asked to face up to it, which is never easy is it?

I wouldnt expect you to throw your hands up and admit that you made a mistake, because that would mean admitting you have failed...the human ego is a very fragile thing.

Please stop and reconsider. The reference to 'creche' indicates you have a young child/children, and the way you have written (and I am sure i isnt the case in real life), suggests a trade off - the children being in the creche gives time for training. What happens when the children are off sick, or the creche is closed...and at weekends? Dogs need ongoing training - they dont keep creche hours.

What happens when your husband has to go off on a course, or away for weeks at short notice (and I do know how unpredicatible army life can be, having been a 'squaddie' myself!) - your back up and support is lost for that time. When your husband returns, the pack hierachy is turned on its head, which can cause all kinds of problems.

I think your husband sounds a sensible chap, and I agree that you you should wait until you are back in the UK, and settled before having another dog. The children will be that bit older, your finances will hopefully be on a more even keel, and you will be able to give time to the dog you welcome into your family.

Its not easy to set aside our own selfish needs, but please try. I have read what you have written, and it all seems to be about you - no mention of your familys needs, or the dogs.

Dogs that destroy houses, do so because they have not been taught what is expected of them, and usually because they are not given enough attention...or enough of the right attention.

One question to consider: If your children were to break a vase or two, or the neighbours window, or had scribble in indelible ink all over the new wooden floor, would you rehome them?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >