Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by tjhoe68
Awww, glad he's a little better. I've cross posted but still no luck I really do hope that someone will come to his rescue soon
Thanks for crossposting TJ every little effort helps
I've had no furher news about Dizzy today, which I take as a good thing as he's no worse. Sadly it also means that we haven't had an offer of home for him either
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Its a shame i am so far away and that dizzy can not be put with another male as i have had a lot of experience with blind dogs. My last shar pei had a cataract forming in her eye when i first got her then went completely blind within as couple of years. She was also almost deaf too as she had narrow ear cannals. At the same time my dad went blind due to diabetes. So when he came to visit i was well aware of not leaving anything about that he could trip over. Also during that time my Akita grew very frail and would trip over a paper bag if it was on the floor. Although it sounds really difficult to look after a blind dog its not, its just like having a puppy really you dont leave anything lying around and you cant let them off the lead unless they know the area really well, as they are likely to get lost. Bridget the shar pei would trot round the fields that are at the back of my house at her own pace sniffing to find her way. I would normally have to tell people she was blind and deaf before they realised she just appeared disobedient when i called her but she always used her nose. After a while it just comes natural to you to think for them and compensate for it . My two grew up with her and as lively as they are they seamed to know of her disabilities. The same with my dad everyone else they knock about but they know hes blind and dont leap all over him. Morgan sits quietly by him licking his hand. So dont let it put you off if you are in a position to foster or take on dizzy you just have to be aware as Linda says.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Morgandy
Its a shame i am so far away and that dizzy can not be put with another male as i have had a lot of experience with blind dogs. My last shar pei had a cataract forming in her eye when i first got her then went completely blind within as couple of years. She was also almost deaf too as she had narrow ear cannals. At the same time my dad went blind due to diabetes. So when he came to visit i was well aware of not leaving anything about that he could trip over. Also during that time my Akita grew very frail and would trip over a paper bag if it was on the floor. Although it sounds really difficult to look after a blind dog its not, its just like having a puppy really you dont leave anything lying around and you cant let them off the lead unless they know the area really well, as they are likely to get lost. Bridget the shar pei would trot round the fields that are at the back of my house at her own pace sniffing to find her way. I would normally have to tell people she was blind and deaf before they realised she just appeared disobedient when i called her but she always used her nose. After a while it just comes natural to you to think for them and compensate for it . My two grew up with her and as lively as they are they seamed to know of her disabilities. The same with my dad everyone else they knock about but they know hes blind and dont leap all over him. Morgan sits quietly by him licking his hand. So dont let it put you off if you are in a position to foster or take on dizzy you just have to be aware as Linda says.
thats wonderful and thanks for posting that - perhaps it will encourage someobody out there to help Dizzy !!

your sharpei sounded lovely
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks Morgandy

Your sharpei did sound lovely and yes Dizzy is absolutely wonderful... Sadly we have had no offers of a foster home for him
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Awww, poor Dizzy I really wish there was something I could do. Poor little man
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Still no home for him, that is really sad

He sounds like a lovely dog, I hope he doesn't have to wait much longer.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
Still no home for him, that is really sad

He sounds like a lovely dog, I hope he doesn't have to wait much longer.
So do I since his quality of life isn't as good as we would like
Gemba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Wow he is a gorgeous little man, Shame you are far away I am looking for another doggie and male, as I have a female, was originaly going to wait until next year after my female is spayed, is he castrated?. Have kids as well though youngest 4 and I am not sure if he would be spooked by them although they are really good with dogs ....

Edited to say 'wonder if they could move Cumbria on the map a little
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gemba
Wow he is a gorgeous little man, Shame you are far away I am looking for another doggie and male, as I have a female, was originaly going to wait until next year after my female is spayed, is he castrated?. Have kids as well though youngest 4 and I am not sure if he would be spooked by them although they are really good with dogs ....

Edited to say 'wonder if they could move Cumbria on the map a little
Sadly, I really wouldn't reccomend Dizzy with a child as young as 4 since he is blind and could easily knock the little love flying without even noticing them being there. We would also prefer a home within Cumbria since he is still receiving medication and having frequent vet checks.

However, we appreciate your kindest thoughts for Dizzy and hope you understand that we have to be certain that he goes into a home which is suitable to his needs as well as theirs. Otherwise, he'd just bounce from home to home which woud do more harm than good.

In answer to your query, yes Dizzy has been castrated, vaccinated, de-flead, and wormed
Gemba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2005, 11:48 PM
That's what I thought children could probably startle him, Good luck though and I will keep fingers crossed he finds a home very soon.
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »