Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 10:47 AM

Rescuing a third dog?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so please accept my apologies if the question has already been asked, or I'm in the wrong bit.

A short intro: we have two rescue Border Collies, 1 bitch, 1 dog. We've had the bitch from when she was around 10 months old, so she's about 8 now. We rescued the dog 2 years ago when he was about 5.

We live in a very rural area (village in Derbyshire), and have access to the most amazing walks, and all the free-roaming (with us) the dogs could want. We both work from home, so are here 98% of the time, and the times when we do have to go out, my mum looks after the dogs, as she lives next door.

I would really like to rescue another Border Collie, and my husband would too, but I'm just wondering what your experiences are of having three dogs? My sister had three at one point and she said she'd never do it again, whereas one of my friends has three and loves it!

Any guidance and experiences you would like to share will be gratefully received!

Thank you!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I cannot give you any advice but I am sure someone who can will be along shortly, but in the meantime

Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks Malka, and Pereg is beautiful!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
You can never have too many border collies! If you've got the room and the finance, then go for it! I did find six hard work but that was on my own and I knew it wouldn't be for too long ( ). Now I'm down to four and find that's just right.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Thank you Tracy - I also think Pereg is a beautiful girl - I am sure your border collies are also beautiful and look forward to seeing pictures of them!
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
You can never have too many border collies! If you've got the room and the finance, then go for it! I did find six hard work but that was on my own and I knew it wouldn't be for too long ( ). Now I'm down to four and find that's just right.

6!! I'd be shot! I'd love to though

I've been told they become more removed from you when you get above 2, and less dependent on you?

Please don't think I want dependent dogs - Holly currently hangs around my neck at every opportunity to give me love, which can be hindering to say the least!

Also, people have told me I'll be looked at as the "weird dog lady" if I go above two, and that I'll never go on holiday with them, as no-one wants more than two dogs at a time. I've looked into it, and there are loads of places we can go, so I know people are talking rubbish when they say that.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Hello and welcome to dogsey . I have no experience of having more than 2 dogs (in my adult life anyway) but I have a few friends that have more than 2 and each one has always said that the transition from having one to having 2 was more difficult than from 2 to 3 and up. None of them have had problems with their lot, I would say if you have the time, space and finances for another, and you don't foresee any problems with your existing collies, I don't see why not. Good luck whatever you do .
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Thank you Manyana13 - we do have the time space and finances, and the other 2 are very dog friendly and playful

I had to check with my best friend who dog sits if we go on holiday, as she has 2 Lurchers, therefore 5 dogs if we got another. Her husband adores all animals and called me to say I could have as many as I wanted, he'd look after them all for us, whenever! They work from home too, and he is some kind of Dr. Doolittle with animals

I think my mind has been put at rest now. So, after Christmas we'll be visiting rescues
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Oh that's brilliant, and very exciting . Do keep us updated
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you all - I will.

I was trying to post some pics of the current resident dogs, but my phone hasn't e-mailed the pics through to me yet
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >