View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

30-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
If MT were less inclined to give so many PF an easy way out it stands to reason that they would start to become less prolific as life for them would become more difficult.

There are two options:
  • Rescue all puppies and ex breeders from PFs and allow the suffering to continue inexorably.
  • Stop rescuing all puppies and ex breeders from PFs and prevent the suffering of many dogs forever more.

Of course the latter may result in the suffering of the first few ex breeders and puppies, but if it meant it would prevent the suffering of many, many others then so be it. Everything in life comes with a price sadly.
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I suppose you have the same critism of greyhound rescues and staffy rescues then? If they didnt take dogs in it would reduce the problem?

Or all rescues in fact - if they didnt take these dogs in there wouldnt be a rescue problem at all! True in a sense I suppose.
I would ask the same question as I asked Tazer then.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I would ask the same question as I asked Tazer then.
And Tazer's response is.....that I'm not sure I can be bothered to give one, as I feel I'm wasting my time with you...and thats knew for me.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I have not read the whole thread so someone may have already mentioned this.

Many Tears do not hand over animals to Breed Rescues which means they could save more dogs and save money.

It is one of the reasons that people like myself would not support them.
Good point SB.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes it's very easy to imagine things! Do you have any stats to show PFs haven't increased because of people like MT?

Who's to say that they wouldn't have decreased if MT didn't take all of their unwanted animals in the first place?

The truth is you'll never know for certain, but what I do know is continually taking unwanted animals from PFs ensures the suffering of a lot more animals for a long time to come. Especially if MT are paying money to take the dogs off their hands, which sounds feasible when PFs are meant to be so cold hearted and as such should be killing all their unwanted stock anyway!
But you don't know that for certain, and you missed the point (or maybe just the whole post) so im not going to waste my time on this.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 05:53 PM
To think that PFs will stop if rescues stop taking their dogs is a bit nieve to say the least imo. As long as they make money, they will keep going. Think it would be safe to say that it's going to be more than one rescue, keeping them open for business. end of.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
To think that PFs will stop if rescues stop taking their dogs is a bit nieve to say the least imo. As long as they make money, they will keep going. Think it would be safe to say that it's going to be more than one rescue, keeping them open for business. end of.
Totally agree!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Maybe you are all right.....can folk stop being all Daily Mail about it.

*some* puppy farms may close

or they may just become smaller

its unrealistic to say that if many tears stops going every week they puppy farms would actually go out of business.
its also unrealistic to say that many tears going to them week in week out wouldnt be an encouragement to them.

i perfectly understand why many tears would not wish to alienate the puppy farms thru any activities that may bar many tears from rescuing and rehoming.
However, one would also assume that such a strategy would be undertaken as part of a bigger long term strategy of trying to reform puppy farms?
So at what stage does the bigger objective start taking precedence?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i didn't suggest it did, vbut when you hear the same stories over and over again it begins to bring you down, and quite frankly one horrific case of abuse can stay with you for a very long time.

I would say every other home check or assessment brings you into contact with someone you would rather not. Bearing in mind i deal solely with staffies....the most abused and neglected dog owned by many a not so pleasant owner.

( or certainly the ones that are giving them up!)

Further we are on the committee opt the rescue and work for it but we don't get paid?? we do this out of our own time and time spent way from kids/family/life etc. I am not expecting violins its my choice but its damn sight easier to have a say when you haven't experienced the hard stuff than if you have... I think its easy to be critical from the outside.
I agree with all the above, especially your last line.
Their is also an assumption that everyone working in rescue is suffering some sort of perpetual emotional trauma and they dont get any time off etc, which is kind of a reverse glamourisation, as its not *quite* that bad

Although dealing with staffies all the time you would get the worst of it
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8