Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
If everything is above board I dont see a problem

They are helping in the way they feel is right, if people dont agree with their methods then they can support another organisation that they do agree with

not for profit/charity - I dont think the dogs care either way
Getting rent from the charity for the use of their land - dont see a problem, if they dont have an income, cant pay their bills, cant help the dogs

Taking dogs from puppy farmers - well it gives the dogs a chance at a nice life - the PF would still keep on breeding and find less nice ways to get rid of the dogs - and at the end of the day at least they as trying to help the dogs right now, I am doing nothing for puppy farm pups, so who am I to critasize someone who has found a way they are happy with

shipping from Ireland - lots of people do - I did, DT do when they are quiet - clearly there is a way bigger problem there than here

So yes we should be trying to stop the PF and the Irish bad breeders - but someone also has to do something about the dogs NOW
You sum up my exact thoughts.

Although I do wish that they'd campaign more against PF seeing as they do take in the ex breeders and see the horror. (If they do then my last statement should not be regarded)
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I feel I had to reply when I read about questions being asked about Rescue Centres over and over again whether it be MT or others! I love animals and I feel someone needs to speak up for them.

1.Rescue Centres making money,

2. Why are they bringing Dogs in from Ireland when we have enough of our own?

3. Why doesn’t MT report the Puppy Farmers if they know who they are dealing with.

4. What are they doing with all the money they make?

I for one don't care about the money anyone makes, would anyone want to do that job, cleaning up after sick dogs, on beck and call 7 days a week, seeing the despair and misery of the dogs they rescue, never being able to go on holiday in peace.

I say thank goodness there are people out there willing to do this type of job, because first and foremost it's us humans they have created this disaster in the first place by greed. Firstly by the demand that we create to produce them, and then to produce them quicker and with more profits man creates puppy farms, which spews out its sickly puppies quicker than hens laying eggs in a battery farm. Then we humans buy these fashion puppies on a whim, even from the backs of cars as we are too busy and easily duped by the cretins who deal in this gruesome trade.

Then 3 to 6 months down the line they find they don’t want them anymore so lets dump them in a Rescue they will take care of the problem, and so the uncaring humans can get on making their Thousands without a care as to what happens to the little dog they have outgrown, like the latest FASION OUTFIT being chucked in the back of the wardrobe. When you think about the whole thing realistically if these so called Puppy Farms were doing their business correctly, why do they have to hide their whereabouts out in the middle of nowhere, in rural parts of Wales and other places “BEHIND CLOSED DOORS”

The question about bringing dogs in from Ireland, at the end of the day, they are dogs needing rescue, needing new homes, not being placed on “Death Row” awaiting their fate, because again what have they done wrong. Does it matter where they come from, if someone can help them, that's are all that matters?
Or could it be that they love animals and care about their welfare and want to do something to end their misery?

If MT were to report the puppy farmers, the result would be, a few would be caught but what about the many more hundreds that wouldn’t, they would just go back to doing what they did before, people like MT went to the trouble to find these people and gain their confidence to hand these poor unfortunate creatures over to hopefully be re-homed. The puppy farmers would either be drowning, poisoning, shooting or other, they wouldn’t care (just get rid of.)

The money they collect and make etc., goes on expenditure that costs them to look after the welfare of these dogs, and like everyone else they have to live, pay bills, and eat. So I say, to all the people who try to stir up trouble, you go and do it, you get off your backsides and do some hard work for a change or go along and volunteer with these same people and see what you think after a week.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
You sum up my exact thoughts.

Although I do wish that they'd campaign more against PF seeing as they do take in the ex breeders and see the horror. (If they do then my last statement should not be regarded)
I have wondered about their seemingly close relationship and constant supply but..
I agree with BM too. The problem with campaigning against the puppyfarmers is that they would then be pressured into "shopping" them (I would have thought) and the second a relationship between MT and the PF breaks down, the PF's move on, or face charges from RSPCA, or whoever the equivalent is, in some way, something would cost the PF money (even if its just bad word of mouth costing them business) and so off they go to another location and the bond is gone......and the dogs not so fortunate.

I do not think there will ever be a 'perfect' way to help....at the end of the day the supply will stay as long as demand does. So the onus is actually on puppy buyers to beware but to also think about things past the 'i want a puppy and they have one' part..if they (consumer) exercise patience, stop buying from PF's then the puppy farms wont be there. Problem solved. Many people are tricked by 2nd hand dealers etc (posing as families re-homing..) many are not, I do not believe that the sheer amount of pups being farmed out, equals that amount of stupidity. Lack of 'care', denial of resposability maybe.. Everything in society (seems sometimes anyway) to be now, now, now or I stamp my feet, and this is what is wrong here IMHO. People are less compassionate and think only about, I want it, I can have it, block out the bad stuff, theres a puppy in my living room. How people cannot care what sort of environment their pup comes from when splitting with sometimes hundreds of pounds, just because it has a totally rediculous and embarassing "plaything" name I do not know but there you go....I do know that the dealers will often "undercut" the good breeder prices but even so..
Some people are fooled, some think, 'its just a dog' IMHO, so can always forsake it later I suppose.
There really isnt a win-win situation here, I dont think.
Just another novelty style, disposable, consumable purchase. For some a very cheap way to start their very own little BYB'ing scheme....

anyway, I think thats my rant over
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 05:54 PM
oh, yes and I am with Claire on this too, actually being a charity can be more expensive despite tax benefits etc at times, so they should operate as best they can I would have thought. I'd much rather it was run as a business which hopefully also means theres a sense of organisation etc than not. At the end of the day, a charity still IS a business.....

Edit; suppose I wasnt finished ranting then
I will stop now

promise
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Doberman - there is no easy fix to these things and a lot of common sense goes out of the window.. I agree with most things you have said and others, but there always that suspicious side to things - be it slander or not..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Doberman - there is no easy fix to these things and a lot of common sense goes out of the window.. I agree with most things you have said and others, but there always that suspicious side to things - be it slander or not..
Have you checked the MT's site, I think they have commented on this and their reasons...least there used to be a 'why we are not a charity' type page. I think where they got some of their comments from in that article.

Perhaps the lease fees are a bit questionable considering their boarding kennel business should really be able to pay their living costs, not the charity but then the RSPCA pay their staff, SSPCA pay their staff....where do you draw the line? But then as someone else said, unless we look into these things for ourselves and start doing the work...how can we say it isnt right when the dogs are getting homes when they would otherwise, possibly, be left in an old location for dead, shot, drowned, strangled, whatever saved the cost of a vet/recognition, and thats after they have lived in those conditions with neglect, rather than recieve treatment and then hopefully a suitable home.

Have to say though I wont be taking on any of their dogs, either as a foster or to adopt, even if they had transport to bring a dog(s) up here, the very fact that Loui is entire means they wont rehome to me anyway (even if its a spayed female I was getting)
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 06:58 PM
A rescue near me (and in fact the rescue where I got Jessie from) has regular trips over to Ireland to take dogs, and also has ex breeding bitches and puppy farmed dogs in. They are not well respected by other rescues and have often been called dog dealers.

I dont know what to think about things like this. All I know is, at the end of the day, I saved a dog from whatever fate it was heading towards and got a fantastic companion in the process. That is all that is important to me.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I note there is more revealing info on the op link about owner of MT. Makes me think mmmm
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Must say I share many of these concerns. If you do the sums some 'rescues' have a massive turnover. Makes you wonder what their main intentions are.

And surely they know by taking on ex-breeders (which I wonder if they're given fifty quid or something for their help in their 'disposal') is just giving puppy farmers an easy but more importantly 'legal' method of disposing dogs that no longer serve a 'purpose'.

What should be a Rescue's main aim? That's easy - to help dogs who might be homeless or protect them from suffering. But what should be their second most important aim? IMO that is to do everything they can to STOP the same from happening in future. The actions of rescues that take on ex-breeders, imo, go completely and utterly against that.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
(which I wonder if they're given fifty quid or something for their help in their 'disposal')
Where does this assumption come from? Is it going to do anyone any good to make up details like this from nowhere? Would you appreciate it if it was suggested you were taking £50 from BYBs to allow them to post on here without any evidence?

On your second point, where do rescues draw the line? Don't take dogs from a breeder because the breeder will breed more. Don't take dogs from individuals because the individual may adopt another? Heard plenty of cases of people getting rid of a problem dog/dog with health issues/etc. to replace it with a "shiny new" puppy
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »