Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 11:30 AM

help please shadow boxer

hi my boy is now nearly 2 and in the past he has been really good on his lead and off but in the last couple of months if he sees another dog or person when we are out walking he goes mad barking growling and pulling to get to the person. my girl who is the same age doesnt do this and just wanders along ignoring him and anyone else she sees is it just his age and how do i stop this behavior as taking 2 out at a time when he is like that is a nightmare . i have recently when on my own take them out at different times i also bought 25ft lunge leads which i put him on so he can still have a run any advice would be great

thanks
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 11:36 AM
or anyone who has dealt with this thanks
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 12:28 PM
just realised SB isnt on
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 12:59 PM
does he still behave the same way offlead or on a long stretchy lead if hes not at the end of it
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:06 PM
not all the time when he is of lead he is normally very good on recall when he isnt he will go running up to people and stand about 3 feet away from them and just bark and growl it must look very frightning for people at other times i will be out with him on the lead and he does the same its like hes daring them to come closer its only just started and he does it with me but not with my partner its like hes got in to his head he has to protect me and my girl dog
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:09 PM
perhaps he feels restricted on the lead?
if he is nervous or feels threatened by whoever is coming and he is onlead when he barks and growls, its possible that its the only option he feels he has to him. He has 3 options that are fight, flight or freeze. Onlead he cant run away so he will fight. If he is good offlead and doesnt growl at anyone then im betting that is wot that is.
Indie is the same, if she is onlead and she feels threatened or thinks there is somethin to worry about she will bark and growl, but offlead she is fine cos she has more space
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Im sure SB will answer next time she is on. Usually later on at night here or early in the morning.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by doggy mad
not all the time when he is of lead he is normally very good on recall when he isnt he will go running up to people and stand about 3 feet away from them and just bark and growl it must look very frightning for people at other times i will be out with him on the lead and he does the same its like hes daring them to come closer its only just started and he does it with me but not with my partner its like hes got in to his head he has to protect me and my girl dog
I think its excatly whats going on.
Your dog´s being the leader on your walks. Simply because it doesnt see you as one.

Off course I´m no SB but atleast thats what I think
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:13 PM
so do you think i should do more off lead work with him and that might help . he is a very soppy dog and if we are out and we meet someone we now hes slobbering all over them he does love people but maybe just the ones he knows . we have lots of places round us i can take him and let him off lead safely. he does seem to become he man when he is on the lead thanks for that jenny just to add i do seem to be alpha dog in the house and he is very well behaved and will do as asked first time
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:18 PM
thanks to all that have answered i will try later to c if SB is on
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >