Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
And needing 6ft fencing for a Basset Hound!
Thats what I thought about a dinky Jack Russell.
Two days after bringing her home I found her walking along the top of a 5ft 6inch breeze block wall, from where she made her escape into next doors garden
Now you tell me how!

I believe all their rules and stipulations are there to protect the animals.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Do rescues do CRB checks on people who foster or adopt dogs?
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Thats what I thought about a dinky Jack Russell.
Two days after bringing her home I found her walking along the top of a 5ft 6inch breeze block wall, from where she made her escape into next doors garden
Now you tell me how!

I believe all their rules and stipulations are there to protect the animals.
JRTs are agile though, my basset is as agile as wardrobe
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't feel guilty but I would love to rescue in the future.

I can see why rescue requirements are stringent but they rule out lots of good homes.. I couldn't even consider a rescue in the knowledge they would never rehome to me.. I hope in the future I will be eligible but people do have to work for a living!

Also the fact that I went to a fab breeder and still ended up with a dog with a poor temperament has made me realise even getting a puppy and doing everything (as close as possible to) correctly, things can still go wrong!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Why would I feel guilty? Both my dogs are FROM rescues - neither's massively emotionally damaged, neither are rabid-child-eating monsters like many people I'd expect more of seem to be trying to paint in this thread either.

Layton in particular is NOT some damaged monster - he's just an unlucky ****** who happened to end up with some people who WERE callous monsters and kicked him out. I object to people making assumptions en-masse about rescue dogs all having issues - most of the ones who are totally off the wall at dog class with issues - came from breeders.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
As I said on another thread---there are many more ways of getting a rescue dog than going to an organisation with stringent rules.

There are loads of people who rehome privately, vets often have adverts or know of dogs looking for homes, the papers are full of them, breeders get rid of ex breeding stock.

All are second hand dogs in need of a home. So please don't make the stringent rules an excuse for not getting one. OTOH---why should you have to get one?

rune
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a rescue, but I doubt I'd even be considered! A lot of the rehoming policies I've read have stated how many dogs you can already own and I have too many, all the dogs I do have aren't neutered, and I don't have a secure garden!

I did look into getting a 6 month old springer but got told they wouldn't rehome to me as I expressed an interest in working the dog! It was a working bred springer!!!!

For my working dogs, it'll always be pups from breeders or adult dogs that have come from friends for what ever reasons. Should I/OH decide to have a dog that we aren't going to work, then we'd maybe try for a rescue, but probably go for a private rehome.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I absolutely would feel guilty buying a puppy, seeing the Staffies that come into rescue that are just turfed out for the silliest of reasons there is just no way I could go and get a puppy. Having said that nor am I a puppy person so don't feel the need for that. I like young things you can stick a nappy on to housetrain and you can't do that with puppies!! Lol

However I have to question the attitude of many assuming they "wouldn't get a rescue anyway" . Every rescue has different policies and most are flexible where they can be, if you can show you have thought about your own personal circumstances and can show your arrangements for said dog. Then there is no reason that a rescue would turn you down.

For those that are saying this are you assuming that you wouldn't get one based on one experience or many?

I got my boy living in a flat with no garden, was inexperienced but they obviously considered what I said and had planned so I got my beautiful boy.

I think people get an idea that they will get refused and so dint even try. I know few rescues who insist on existing dogs being neutered unless there was underlying reasons for it.

As for the fencing mostly we expect if it's s private garden then it should have a fence, if it's shared then we wouldn't insist on it but would look to the owner to show what they would do- ie: long line etc.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As I said on another thread---there are many more ways of getting a rescue dog than going to an organisation with stringent rules.

There are loads of people who rehome privately, vets often have adverts or know of dogs looking for homes, the papers are full of them, breeders get rid of ex breeding stock.

All are second hand dogs in need of a home. So please don't make the stringent rules an excuse for not getting one. OTOH---why should you have to get one?

rune
but the thread is about dogs sitting in rescue....so thats why my posts have been around that area of rehoming
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:22 PM
And many of us feel no need at all to justify why we do not have rescues, we have merely stated SOME of the reasons we do not have them, not ALL.

Thank God we live in a democracy (last time I looked) and we ALL have freedom of choice which includes where we get our dogs from, whether we breed, whether we neuter, whether we compete in some discipline etc etc etc.

And long may those choices remain!
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »