View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I find it a bit odd that someone referred to being 'bossed about' by a rescue... My dog is a rescue and I know several other folk with rescues. None of us has ever felt remotely 'bossed about' !

To answer the original question:

Yes, I would feel guilty if I went to a breeder. My Lab is a rescue and I was planning until very recently to get a second dog - a GSD puppy, in about a year.

I even started researching breeders.

Then I visited one of the GSD rescue sites and realised pretty swiftly that I was kidding myself if I thought I was getting a dog from a breeder - I won't be. If and when I am able to get a second dog, it will be a rescue, like my Lab Dexter. He had many issues but I learned an awful lot over the past year and now he is a calmer, pretty well behaved, utterly lovable, adorable boy
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
It's personal choice really. If you want a specific age or specific breed, then you are better off buying a puppy. I prefer to get dogs from rescues, just because it is cheaper.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by DexNjj View Post
It's personal choice really. If you want a specific age or specific breed, then you are better off buying a puppy. I prefer to get dogs from rescues, just because it is cheaper.

Not necessarily; there are many breed specific rescues.

And it's not necessarily 'cheaper' to rescue either. I spent quite a lot on one-to-one training with Dexter because I desperately needed the help because of some of his issues.

When we rescue we also run the risk of adopting a dog from parents that were not health tested so ultimately, it can work out more costly to rescue than going to a breeder.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Nope, wouldn't feel guilty at all. Of the three of mine, two are rescues and one from a reputable, ethical breeder.
I fully intend to have another from the same breeder, but would always have a rescue as well...........its all about balance for me

Jann xx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I think I would feel a bit guilty to be honest. I'd feel like I could have saved an adult dog instead of getting a puppy. Having said that, I do want to bring up a puppy once in my life, but it'll be when I'm not working as many hours.

I have to say, I really don't like the comparison on this thread between getting a puppy rather than rescue, and having a baby that is genetically yours over fostering or adopting. I feel like it's a totally separate thing. A baby you give birth to (or help make) is 1/2 genetically yours, that's special. No dog, puppy or adult is ever going to be genetically related to you, it's a different thing altogether. I can understand why the comparison was made, just don't like it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
the comment about being bossed about is in relation to being told my existing pet would need to be neutered, one rescue even saying what dog I should have before meeting...that the dog MUST go to group classes (regardless of WHICH dog it is and their needs) that I MUST have x-height of fencing (again regardless of the pup/dog) that I cannot leave my own home for more than 3 hours a day....and so on.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
the comment about being bossed about is in relation to being told my existing pet would need to be neutered, one rescue even saying what dog I should have before meeting...that the dog MUST go to group classes (regardless of WHICH dog it is and their needs) that I MUST have x-height of fencing (again regardless of the pup/dog) that I cannot leave my own home for more than 3 hours a day....and so on.
i know what you mean. i wanted to foster for many tears, but all dogs in the household have to be spayed/neutered just for you to foster...
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i know what you mean. i wanted to foster for many tears, but all dogs in the household have to be spayed/neutered just for you to foster...
And needing 6ft fencing for a Basset Hound!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I think I would feel a bit guilty to be honest. I'd feel like I could have saved an adult dog instead of getting a puppy. Having said that, I do want to bring up a puppy once in my life, but it'll be when I'm not working as many hours.

I have to say, I really don't like the comparison on this thread between getting a puppy rather than rescue, and having a baby that is genetically yours over fostering or adopting. I feel like it's a totally separate thing. A baby you give birth to (or help make) is 1/2 genetically yours, that's special. No dog, puppy or adult is ever going to be genetically related to you, it's a different thing altogether. I can understand why the comparison was made, just don't like it.
no offense but tbh, I dont like your own comments on this much!
for some people family is family, canine or human and 'genetics' dont come into it in that sense!

People who have no desire to have their own 'genetically 1/2 of them' children still foster children long term and gain fulfilment, some to the point where the child is accepted as their own, and that is special to them!

Some people cant have children of their own but I am sure they love their adopted children as much as if they could have had their own. Because the ARE their own children who are very special to them! (plenty people have their own 'genetic' children and couldnt give a damn about them too)
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I think it is awful that so many dogs are in rescue and far more springers than i would have thought.

But i got rolo as a puppy because of my job i didnt want to trust an older dog from a rescue around other peoples children we wanted to know the history and upbringing etc.

Since having rolo we did take a small chance with ruby but she was 9 months and came from the breeder that bred her and rolo, but had come back to him at 7 months old as the owner had fallen on hard times and had to move so keep less dogs, last in first out etc. We found out a lot about her and decided it would work.

I dont think a rescue would possibly consider us for a dog because we work at home with other peoples young children so dont think we would pass the homechecks. I have seen some springers that i would be tempted with so maybe one day we might be in a position to help, but i cant allow myself to feel guilty because i have two amazing dogs, and have learnt a lot with them, when i have needed to from a puppy, and maybe an older dog would have been too much for a first timer.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »