Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Can i ask something?

Dan, do you believe River to have "wolf" content?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
To be honest I'm rather suprised at the tone of some of the replies, if the dog attacks the child and god forbid causes harm then will we all with hindsight hand on heart be able to live with ourselves for the advice we've given.
Lots of members have had to rehome animals for aggression and these haven't been castigated this much.
But the dog hasn't show aggression. It has shown a prey drive, and shown that it will follow this through to killing animals, but this is not aggression. My dog has a very high prey drive, I have no doubt that if we had a cat in the house then she would kill it, so I would never trust her with one - as it is, I have pet rats and they're kept 2 doors away and in an all-metal cage for that very reason, no chance of them meeting outside of their cage. However, she is fabulous with people and kids of all ages. Prey drive does not equal aggression and this dog is being rehomed because it "might" bite when that "might" is just as likely to happen with the other dog in the household. By your logic, should we not be telling everyone on here with a baby/kids to rehome their dogs because we'd feel terrible if the dog did attack?

I agree that rehoming isn't the worst thing to happen with the dog and it may be best in this situation - dogs pick up on nerves so if the OP doesn't feel that they can regain that trust then it's probably best for River to be rehomed. Speaking for myself, I just wanted to make sure OP hadn't made this decision solely on the opinion of a vet (who, as others said, is trained more towards the medical side than behavioural) and just one behaviourist (not all behaviourists are good/give good advice). If there was a chance that there were things OP hadn't thought to try but was willing to have a go at, and that saved a dog from being rehomed, then it was worth a shot asking.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
So she was in the list a month after bby arrived you spoke about her prey instincts Before bby arrived sooty but this poor dog didn't stand a chance. She was labled without actually doing anything
ATD x
How about you read and digest everything that is written about this situation.

This is not someone unwilling to try and keep a dog they love, it is someone who has payed money and explored solutions and had found that the best one for them, the baby, the other family dog and River, is for River to be carefully, sensitivly and slowly rehomed.

Well done to them, they haven't refused to spend money out (most people come to forums BEFORE getting someone in), they haven't put the dog in rescue, they did contact the breeder and they haven't simply dumped the dog.

BTW----have you tried letting local vets know? Sometimes they have lots of contacts, and local trainers. The more people who know the more likely she is to find somewhere.

rune
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Dan, this is probably irrelevant ref rehoming but at the same time I am sure some of us out here with NIDs will have dogs related to yours, would you be willing to tell us River's parentage?

Also, I think we all need to focus on the fact that River needs a new home, maybe, just maybe someone on here may know someone who is looking for a dog and would be able to offer River a suitable home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I really think youve scared yourself. I really cant see the problem. Everyone with a youn child should be careful, it sounds like you are paranoid. Loads of husky types live with kiddies with no problems.

Why do you think shes just going to "turn"????????
Agree. When I got GSDs they were known to `turn` and were the babykillers of that era.
Provided you are sensible I don`t see the problem. JRTs are more likely to attack small squealy things - in fact they are bred to. I can`t help feeling this is part of the mystique that surrounds this breed (fostered by the breeders). They are simply GSD/ Northern breed crosses, aren`t they?
Here are my prey-driven dogs.

Is it simply that whoever is at home with the baby is not happy to train the dog? Or can`t keep procedures in place to ensure safety?
I am not questioning your decision - but at the end of the day other owners of NIs may see this high prey drive as something unique to their breed - and that isn`t so.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Rune- if river didn't manage to catch the cat ad rabbit that day would the same lable be place on the dog. Like I said my cocker killed my rabbit is she going to attack my baby when they arrive? A lot of dogs chace small animals in fact both mine do and I'm sure the puppy will when he follows the others. Would I trust them around a baby/ children yes would I leave them alone no but then again no dog should be.

All I was saying is this lable was on the dog before the baby arrived and therefor the owners were already on tender hooks waiting for her to strike

ATD x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Agree. When I got GSDs they were known to `turn` and were the babykillers of that era.
Provided you are sensible I don`t see the problem. JRTs are more likely to attack small squealy things - in fact they are bred to. I can`t help feeling this is part of the mystique that surrounds this breed (fostered by the breeders). They are simply GSD/ Northern breed crosses, aren`t they?

Is it simply that whoever is at home with the baby is not happy to train the dog? Or can`t keep procedures in place to ensure safety?
I am not questioning your decision - but at the end of the day other owners of NIs may see this high prey drive as something unique to their breed - and that isn`t so.
very good point .. btw what a gorgeous gsd in the first pic
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Rune- if river didn't manage to catch the cat ad rabbit that day would the same lable be place on the dog. Like I said my cocker killed my rabbit is she going to attack my baby when they arrive? A lot of dogs chace small animals in fact both mine do and I'm sure the puppy will when he follows the others. Would I trust them around a baby/ children yes would I leave them alone no but then again no dog should be.

All I was saying is this lable was on the dog before the baby arrived and therefor the owners were already on tender hooks waiting for her to strike

ATD x
i agree
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I think i remember this dog from another forum? First of all I really hope she finds a great home, i dont have kids so i know i am not in this position and maybe dont understand some of your reasons. That being said it is a pet hate of mine to see dogs rehomed because of babies . . . .

In this case the trust is more the issue for me here, you no longer trust your dog and with out trust its impossible to have a good relantionship (sp?) with your dog. So for that reason alone i think she would be better with someone else. Whether this loss of trust is well founded or not i have no idea as i have never met your dog or seen how she acts in your family.

ETA - For me though prey drive with small furries and aggression towards children/babies are two VERY different things. Cassie has the highest prey drive of all 5 dogs in my family and she is wonderful with children. In fact the one i would trust least with a baby/child is my nans Lhasa the dog with the least prey drive.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
And what sort of a life do you think the dog would then have?

If ANYONE doesn't want a dog----including a breeder, it is far better for the dog not to be there.

rune

I agree with you in principle ... but a GOOD, RESPONSIBLE breeder will ALWAYS take the dog back, if only to ensure that the dog will be rehomed carefully and correctly. I am sure that Dan will ensure River goes to a suitable forever home, but some people are not so conscientious.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post

off subject but have to comment on your lovely pics, especially the first one. Stunning house, garden, dog and lovely baby xxxx Completely love this pic!! Xxxxx Thanks for sharing xxxxx
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >