View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I know there is a Carol who is involved on Independant Weim rescue, google IWRRS.

If this is who has rehomed him, I know their policy is not to put new owners in contact with previous ones, they will have found him a suitable home though.

If you contact them they might be able to reassure you that he is in a good home to put your mind at rest, that is if it was them who did the rehoming.

I'm very sorry this has happened but perhaps this is a lesson to everyone that contacting breed rescue, where home checks are done and dogs are assessed to match them with the right sort of home is a much safer option than rehoming yourself.
swannybaby
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Ah right thank you very much i shall try that!! I suppose my theory of it, was only i can make the judgment of the perfect home for him, as im the one who knows him inside and out. Its the wrong way to be, but i just cant help it.. Its so easy for them to be passed into the wrong hands and be used for the wrong reasons! I know Carol really wanted him herself, but she had too many dogs, but i know he would of gone to a great home, i just need reassuring of this.. What happened with the family is sad, everything went so wrong for them, they are now selling their house and hope to be out by the spring, they no longer speak to their neighbor, and dont feel their home is what is used to be. They are devastated too... Just perhaps they made a few irrational and harsh decisions, rehoming the dogs together would of been perfect, although its a lot to take on, i know theres many people out there who would give them a fantastic home together! They where like brother and sister and now they're without each other. I wish them both the very best. I just really hope i can get some reassurance of JDs whereabouts.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by swannybaby View Post
I really hope he does... His happiness is a huge concern of mine. I really fort hard to keep him, after me and my partner splitting, i had no choice in moving back home, there i had huge arguments with my parents over not being able to keep him, i fell out with everyone i loved over him. My dad has emphysema so i understand their reasons for it, i just couldnt bare the thought of giving him up. Worst decision of my life. I understand the new owners rights, im not after coming to down to see him, all i want to hear, is his living circumstances and that he is ok.. I Would be over the moon to see pictures of him, like my agreement with his last owner but obviously i dont have any rights in that! I just need to know hes happy!.. Its crushing me not knowing where he is..
Fair enough. If you do find 'Carol', she might be able to give you an idea of where he went (living with a family, couple, single person, etc.), but I wouldn't hold out for her to give you any contacts for his new owners as they are probably legally obliged not to give out such information.
swannybaby
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I think i would be ok with that, the reassurance is all i need to let this be... The thought that i will now never see him again is devastating!! I have emailed 'Carol' in hope that it is her who helped rehome him, so this will shed some light into the situation. Fingers crossed!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:35 PM
This is going to sound harsh but perhaps this thread is a lesson to many.

First of all the way you feel about your dogs being rehomed without your knowledge is how reputable breeders feel when any dog they have sold on to someone like yourself, and who have stated that they should be contacted should the owner's circumstances change, and they don't.

The person to whom you sent the dog to, felt like many dog owners do, too embarassed to go back to the breeder and went somewhere else.

The reason why breed specific rescues exist is that those that run them (be it WCGB or IWRSS) have an understanding of the breed and their needs and take great care on their rehoming.

The home you chose was evidently not suitable and it is quite likely that, had a rescue appointed home checker visited, they would have reported back to this effect.

In addition, a breed specific rescue would have assessed your dog to determine the BEST home for that particular dog. Not all homes are suitable for all dogs.

You mention that it would have been ideal for the dogs to be rehomed together, I am afraid that, out there in the real world, there are very few homes for multiple rehomed dogs, even of the same breed.

Added to that, we often do not recommend this, again for several reasons.

One of which is for the very reason your dog got into trouble, many people fail to do to ALONE training with their dogs and for many breeds it is ESSENTIAL if that dog is to mature into a competent and confident adult.

I assessed two litter mate Weims recently and this had happened to them. Consequently rehoming these dogs is subsequently more tricky as we have to consider the circumstances of a potential home to avoid the issues your dog incurred.

I know Carol, and she, like all of us who assess dogs and potential homes, have the best interests of the breed at heart, as well as the individual and our aims are to rehome dogs with the most suitable owners.

It is very unusual for a rehomer to be given the KC registration papers, and it is a condition of both rescues that all dogs are neutered to prevent exploitation.

It is very upsetting for owners when they have to rehome their dogs and as you can imagine it may not be the wisest thing for all parties concerned to know where the dog is etc.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

One never knows when the world could change and the impact it could mean for our lives and our pets, all we as representatives of various rescue organisations can do is to do what we think is best for each individual situation and dog concerned.

HTH
swannybaby
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I understand this completely, i really do.. However this do not change the situation that has already happened! Call it a lesson learnt or whatever.. But all i want to know is that JD is in a great home and happy.. I need this reassurance to let this be. Iv been to hell and back over JD so to do all that iv done for him and at the end not know if hes happy is a utter killer for me, i know i can't have updates and pictures any more, but reassurance surely isnt too much to ask for if iv found the person who has rehomed him...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:48 PM
If a the WCGB or the IWRSS have rehomed your dog, you can have that reassurance.
swannybaby
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Thats all i need
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 02:18 PM
An example of why people should go to reputable breeders who permanently ID their puppies so that in the event of them going through a breed rescue the breeder will get their puppy back.

A friend breeds Weims & they are tattooed & chipped to ensure he will get any back that the owners are too ashamed to admit they cannot keep.

The first port of call for rehoming of any dog should be the breeder not a rescue, then if they do have to go to a rescue it should always be a breed rescue
swannybaby
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I really didnt want him to go back to his breeder, i felt she would quite possibly keep him herself, when her home was far too small for the 4 she already had! She makes a lot of money doing what she does and doesnt work, she made £9100 out of the litter JD was in, and her other weim was also pregnant! This was an important decision for me to make, the family i did chose gave him a fantastic home and spent a lot of one on one time training him so now he walks without a lead and does amazing tricks, just unfortunately like me, their home didnt work out, and this has had lasting effects on their whole family to where they now have to move home.. Regardless of whether i chose this family or a rescue place chose it, it could of still happened! Things like this do happen, thats the sad part about it. You never know until you try!
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >