Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Absolutely from resce I can get a dog that has been fully assessed, house trained, already neutered, is known to be good with other dogs and in some cases cats and kids, walks beautifully on the lead and can be left for more than 10 minutes on its own

With a pup I get lots of training to do, cost of vaxs, neutering, and lots of yuck stuff to pick up
Have yeen speaking to Hali?!!!!!

I have to admit part of the appeal of a rescue is exactly what you have just said! I am enjoying not having a small pup in the house at the moment...we have had one for so many years now, it's noce to just pop Cosmo in the car, pop my son in the car, pack a picnic and head off for the day walking. Just brilliant....a puppy would ruin that!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Which is exactly what I would expect people getting a pup from a breeder or a rescue to do. But as this topic is about rescues it did seem that you were saying that in comparison rescues wouldnt do the above - they do and probably have more stringent checks than breeders.

Just as an aside (if this is going to be about breeders) do they do trial periods, do they do homechecks, do they expect all members of the family to meet the dogs and, if appropriate all other dogs in the house to meet the pup?
The breeder we got Cosmo from spoke to me for yonks on the phone several times before I was allowed to meet her dogs. When we met her the pups were 3 weeks old and we met mum, gran, cousin,aunt..uncle...you name it. We saw health certificates and pics of dad...great grandma great great grandma...etcetcetc. She gave us the Spanish Inquisition and we did the same to her.
All the family went to meet the pup...my son was in his element, with pups to cuddle and her son to play with! We went for an hour and stayed about four.
She didn't do a homecheck, no, but at the time we were still puppy walkers which she was able to verify given the fact I was writing about it in a national doggy publication every month.. I think she thought if we were ok for an assistance dog charity, we were ok for her...which is what we thought about her given Cosmo's half brother is a Dog for the Disabled (she gifted a pup to them )

Had things not worked out she would have had him back. If anything happens now she would insist on having him back...

No our other two dogs at that time didn't come along but it would have been inappropriate given there was a litter of pups there. Given our older dog passed his assessment to live with assistance dog pups and the other one at the time was an 11 month old assistance dog pup that had been okayed by the charity to live with a young pup there was no need anyway. The other people who got pups, that already had dogs, all had Flat Coats from people that the breeder knew..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
No because you will always get numptys with the attitude well we can try before we buy. You dont get a ready made dog it takes time, patience and love so adopters need to show there dedication and commitment not a trial period.
And I want to see a firm commitment from people who adopt our dogs not them being half hearted.
Thing is Pidge people like you are seeing it from the adopters side whilst some of us put the dogs needs first.

We do aim at getting it right 1st time Pidge which is why we have a tried and tested method we stick to.
Difference is I am out there helping not sat on the internet hindering
Ok Pidge getting a bit fed up of your expertise quite frankly.
You were giving your dog as a xmas present so not what I would call ideal circumstances and you clearly have a breed you are struggling to control so quite frankly where I am in your estimations doesnt really concern me.

But when I am out there giving 24/7 to a rescue and trust me longer hours than a full time job I will get on my blimmin high horse when I feel people are making out rescues always have issues and going to attack your family and dogs. As it narks me beyond belief people who have no idea come on sites gobbing of about something they know diddly about.

But in my experience Kruse most of the rescues I deal with dont have issues so am talking from my own point of view. I know what your saying I bite my lip nearly all day most days but when it comes to a forum dont see why I should not say how it is, may not always be nice but neither is life.

Its these sweeping statements that rile me.
Have you got a rescue, had a rescue?
Do you help at a rescue?

Whats your sweeping statement based on?
I do respect some peoples opinions as I am sure you do but not all, I cant respect people who chirp on slagging rescues of yet no nothing about them Sorry
I have been thinking seriously about what I will do when I get older. Having a puppy won't really be an option because in a long lived breed like Minis (which I have always had) there is a good chance it will outlive me and this won't be so likely to happen with an old dog . I really hate the thought of not having a dog at all.
So I would consider taking on a small elderly dog something like a little terrier cross maybe one with problems/health problems which no one else wants.

It would be nice to think a Rescue would give me the opportunity to take on such a dog and to make sure I was still able to cope with it and that it was compatible with my family's dogs before I committed to taking it on permanently .
Such a dog may be unlikely to find a home elsewhere so better to at least give it a chance of a home than to spend the rest of its life in kennels.
Does this make me 'a numpty with the attitude I will buy before I try' or does it show 'the lack of a firm commitment' ?
I hope some Rescues are a little more amenable to re homing dogs than is indicated by some of the quotes above, then I will be able to do as my friend did mentioned in post 99.
Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 12 13 14 15