Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm planning a trip and need help!

Depending on when Monty has his op this year we are hoping to doing a hike/trek in August this year.

The OH wants to either do a circular route or just a route where we leave a car and then get public transport back to the car at the end of the walk. Destination is walking along Hadrian's Wall. It isn't necessarily going to be a day trip, we plan on taking a tent and pitching up at the end of each day.

So I have a few questions:

1. Have any of you done this, or similar, and can recommend a decent walk/route?
2. Can anyone recommend a decent tent that is easy to put up and will sleep two people plus 30kg of Boxer?
3. Is this kind of trip feasible with a dog?

The more i think about it the more i can't get my head round the logistics of it. We went camping for two nights last year and there was literally no room left in the car as it was full of stuff!!

Any tips or advice very welcome as this will be a new experience for me and i love my home comforts!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I've never walked any of the wall, but from what I know of the area, it is sheep country so I should imagine that Monty will have to spend a lot of time on lead. Also, how is he at getting over styles - whilst there may be gates at some places, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few styles that you'd have to go over.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I've never walked any of the wall, but from what I know of the area, it is sheep country so I should imagine that Monty will have to spend a lot of time on lead. Also, how is he at getting over styles - whilst there may be gates at some places, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few styles that you'd have to go over.
Oh if there's sheep then it's a no go! He's not good around sheep.

Stiles woulnd't be a problem. If he can't get over/under them Rich lifts him over!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Oh if there's sheep then it's a no go! He's not good around sheep.

Stiles woulnd't be a problem. If he can't get over/under them Rich lifts him over!!
The trouble is, most countryside from Yorkshire northwards is sheep country (often because it is too rough for anything else). Some routes are safe-ish in that the footpaths are fenced off from the sheep areas, though even then, if you have a a dog that really wanted to chase, the fences probably wouldn't stop them.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
The trouble is, most countryside from Yorkshire northwards is sheep country (often because it is too rough for anything else). Some routes are safe-ish in that the footpaths are fenced off from the sheep areas, though even then, if you have a a dog that really wanted to chase, the fences probably wouldn't stop them.
I don't think he'd ever jump a fence to chase them - he's not intelligent enough to work out how to do that!

Am going to explore some other options as well.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:20 PM
What about the South Downs Way? not done the whole thing personally (I don't do long distance...well, not THAT long!) but the majority is livestock free. As it's a National Park though I think there would be restrictions on where you can pitch a tent. Unless you found various dog friendly BNB's enroute.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Am going to explore some other options as well.
Might be a good idea, I'm sure you know already (but just in case you don't) farmers are allowed to shoot dogs who chase sheep, and some of them do

Could I suggest you look at some of the coastal paths, they are very beautiful, you could go down on the beach, and if you pick an area where the farming doesn't involve sheep you'd have no worries with Monty.

Where you already live is good, and there's Norfolk and Suffolk, and along the South Coast too, just a few ideas to think about.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What about the South Downs Way? not done the whole thing personally (I don't do long distance...well, not THAT long!) but the majority is livestock free. As it's a National Park though I think there would be restrictions on where you can pitch a tent. Unless you found various dog friendly BNB's enroute.
I've heard that there are camping restrictions. To be honest the realisation kicked in for me last night when i realised there would be no proper loo's along route, no decent food along route and most importantly there would be no space to carry booze!!

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Might be a good idea, I'm sure you know already (but just in case you don't) farmers are allowed to shoot dogs who chase sheep, and some of them do

Could I suggest you look at some of the coastal paths, they are very beautiful, you could go down on the beach, and if you pick an area where the farming doesn't involve sheep you'd have no worries with Monty.

Where you already live is good, and there's Norfolk and Suffolk, and along the South Coast too, just a few ideas to think about.
There are some fab places in Devon/Cornwall and along the south coast but we're going as a group and we all feel like getting out of Devon/South Coast and seeing a bit more of the country.

I'm not a big outdoors type person so out of all of us i expect i'll find it the hardest - hence why i'll be suggesting we hire a cottage in an area that has got lots of nice circular routes nearby!!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Go a bit further north.....SCOTLAND, SCOTLAND, SCOTLAND!!! The best walks I have ever been on, so quiet and beautiful, I promise you!