Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 06:35 PM

" Get in your bed "

How many times have you heard someone say this to their dog?
AND....
Do you agree with this command?

I often hear people tell their dogs to " get in their beds " and often as a punishment or if the dog is doing something they dont want them to do. Do you say this to your dog? Do you agree with it? Why?
I have not yet told Georgie to " get in his bed " as I see his bed as nice, peaceful place for Georgie to be rather than somewhere he goes when he's been told off. Maybe I'm wrong????

What are your views on this?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 06:51 PM
If I'm cooking dinner and I want them in their beds, I just say 'bed' and in they go. I certainly don't punish them if they don't do it first time.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I tell Bodhi to get on her bed if I want her to get from under my feet, or, if I want her in her bed.

It means, go over there and sit down to her...

For instance, sometimes when I open the car door - I say "get on your bed", and she hops in a lies/sits down.

I can specifiy where her bed is by pointing, and she knows her "bed" is always a soft squishy place.

It's never ever a punishment... I don't punish Bodhi - I can't see the purpose in that - she is a dog and doesn't associate it with her action.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 06:56 PM
dont think ive ever told mine to go to bed as a command when night times comes i just say you ready for bo boes and of they go
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 06:59 PM
We say to to Hollie "on your bed" when she needs to be out of the way. As Bodhi said it is various places - somewhere for her to lay down out of the way.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Tilly and all previous dogs are told to 'in your bed' when we're having tea or are getting under my feet. Tilly has 2 beds, one for daytime use (in the livingroom) and one for night time use (in the kitchen) she's learning the difference bless her. I never, ever use it as a punishment.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Mine are all used to the term "go to bed", they always take themselves off to bed anyway when they're ready but, if they are under my feet I just say "bed" and off they go. No problems, just one of the few commands they choose to understand.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2006, 07:33 PM
I always tell my two "go in yer bed" when we are eating. They don't always take a blind bit of notice but they're getting there
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 07:42 PM
I tell mine "in your bed" too, not as a punishment, but they are crated, so when they need to go in there out of they way, they can.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2006, 07:44 PM
If i said "bed"-Vegas would no doubt trot upstairs onto mine! No,i've never ordered a dog onto their bed cause i feel this is their special place and i dont want anything negative associated with it,but if he's in my way-i just say politely 'move' and he'll go somewhere else.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >