View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 06:59 PM

Two Puppies at once - what are the pros and cons?

What are peoples thoughts on having two puppies, i had Tess at 6wks old then when she was 8months i had Cassie who was 6months, i never had a problem with them they both went to training classes at the same class id do one my dad the other. Now i have Eva though and the thought of two Evas would drive me to insanity!! Has anyone ever bought up two and how did they find it the good and bad points?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 07:07 PM
There are always exceptions, there are always special circumstances, but in general I think having two puppies at the same times detracts from the experience of puppy hood for both the pup and the owner and two from the same litter makes matters even more difficult and spoils the puppy owning experience, again for owner and puppies.

To say nothing of them both reaching th eKevin stage at the same time :smt021
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I kept Harvey and Ruby from the same litter and everyone said I was mad but for me it was no harder than bringing up one. I had no young kids at home either so all our time was spent with the dogs which made it alot easier.
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 07:17 PM
to be honest with you i couldn't think of anything worse, of cause it depends on your circumstance, but it must be so hard, but i have young kids and thats bad enough, if you are on your own then having two together would benefit each other i would think.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 07:22 PM
well there's exactly 3 months between candy and buddy, and tbh they have been great together give or take a few minor fights.They have been much easier to toilet train, as Buds kind of took his lead from candy, even though he still marks in the house now and then!!
I have really enjoyed seeing them grow up together but its not for the faint hearted!!
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 07:46 PM
We had Lottie and Dougal together and they were fine but that im and educated at home so I can spend all day with them and my mom is at home as well. They both are trained well and they both get just as much attention and one puppy would. I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone but we have all the time to put in twice as much effort with the result on two wonderful sweet little dogs.

sarah xxxx
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I had two pups at the same time had shiloh and cheyanneanne since they were nearky 7wks old and they were litter mates and 10mths down the line they still are,have never had any trouble whats so ever with them they both toilet trained at the same time,they train together,sleep together,eat together,play together,walk together,they get the same attention as each other i found it easy with having the two boys and having my 6yr old son as well has made no difference to give attention to all three boys,they are brilliant with him and he also comes to training to watch ive never had a bad day with either of the boys
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I think if you are an experienced dog owner and understand/anticipate possible problems - and have the time, it can work out but IMHO it is not for the faint hearted.
I started with two littermates and I was extremely fortunate that the male was dopey and biddable, the other was a bitch who bossed him around, but they never ganged up on me and they were split up sometimes for walks and training. It worked out fine. However, I could fill this page with examples in my breed where one has had to be rehomed eventually, not an ideal outcome for anyone One case in particular involved two males, one was very close to the owner, the other less so but they were literally fighting for her attention. She rehomed the loving one as the other "was a better show prospect! " The rehomed one cried all the way to its new home. In the end she dropped out of showing as well, possibly due to all the bad vibes she was getting!

Ooops, going off thread a bit, but I suppose it illustrates that having two CAN end in tears.... especially for the novice.

Gill
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2005, 09:15 PM
As Gill says being an experienced dog makes a difference, and you need either two people or lots of time to train and walk two puppies separately. I much prefer to enjoy one puppy to the full then get another puppy when the first is fully grown and trained .
My neighbour has two whippets/litter sisters he did not have them when they were puppies, they are very strange to watch and move and act like one dog they never move more than a foot apart...it is almost as if they have one brain between two dogs and quite creepy.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 09:37 PM
we had cassie and katie at the same time 8 weeks old as they are litter sisters and didn,t find it hard at all
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >