Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why? because its their "pack" if you want to call it that. Dogs do not go round killing eachother, its amply demonstrated by other dogs being present but not taking part in the killing, if it was "natural" then surely all the dogs that were present in such a situation would pile in?
In the situation we had ALL the dogs piled in---including my friends GSD's. Fortunately we were all three here and the dogs were obedient enough to come off----except the terrier which carried on when in mid air!

How very DARE you even suggest you know that the other dogs didn't have anything to do with it! You were not there and nor was anyone else.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Well if you want to equate it to Terriers and Hounds I find it remarkable strange that you dont understand. Given that some Hounds were bred to hunt and kill Mink, and Otter, likewise Terriers hunting Otter, Mink and Polecat, I find it very plausable that a dog of that type would see an animal like a Ferret in a cage that they are NOT allowed to touch as fair game, where as the pet Cat who is with them is part of their family.
Right---so you would consider your cats to be members of your pack/family. You think dogs have a concept of family?

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Bitches that kill pups are not pts----there are excuses made for them.

rune
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Again well done Rune for starting this thread, the comments in the other thread were getting very insensitive and some people seem to really think they are perfect. I would love to say I am surprised but sadly I am not.

I can see that there is a difference between killing a prey animal and killing a pack member. But they are both a result of instincts at work just different ones. as a modern human one is easier to understand then the other because we no longer live in a world where the old and weak have to be disposed of for the greater good. When I was younger I had a harder time understanding either and did hate Kiska for a little while a couple of times. She killed my pet ferret and one of my piggies. Now looking back I know it was just her prey drive at work and was my fault for not making sure the cages were more Kiska proof and I would never blame her.

The same goes for Cassie to her anything small and furry is prey and her instincts tell her to chase it and catch it so she does. We are careful when out with her with small dogs to as she is a sight hound and one small furry blob looks like another in the distance to her, I am sure she would realize once she got there it was a dog but you never know so we don’t take the risk. If we see a small dog in the park in the distance she is on the lead, if they are close enough that she see they are a dog its ok.

My dogs are just that - dogs, animals and not people. They don’t do something to be evil or nasty they do it for a reason and just because we as humans can not understand that doesn’t mean they should always pay with there life.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Bitches that kill pups are not pts----there are excuses made for them.

rune

Do remember over 30 years ago a friend of mine who used ferrets for rabbiting he had a ferret who had had a litter of 5.

Very good mother.

He made a mistake one day and took her out rabbiting, on returning her to her litter she killed ever one of them....

Its called Blood Lust
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Why? because its their "pack" if you want to call it that. Dogs do not go round killing eachother, its amply demonstrated by other dogs being present but not taking part in the killing, if it was "natural" then surely all the dogs that were present in such a situation would pile in?
That is such a simplistic response & completely fails to take into account the character/temperament/experiences of each dog as an individual.

Of course it's not "natural" for one dog to kill another ~ we all know this from our studies of dog behaviour. But all dogs are different, they react differently to different scenarios, have different emotions associated with different things. And sometimes those emotions can be so highly charged, or be lurking under the surface until they boil over. So just because one dog in a household gets spooked, or fearful, or decides something is worth fighting over, does not mean that all the other dogs in the same house are going to feel the same.

And just because dogs may live in the same house, with the same humans, it doesn't necessarily mean that this is the same as living in a "pack" that would perhaps form with a collection of feral dogs. It is we humans that form these so called artificial "packs" & then we expect our pet dogs to accept that this is their "pack"!! That's a bit close-minded & naive to think that. Yes, these dogs may rub along together & make it work, mostly because they have to. But it doesn't mean they have to get along all the time, in all scenarios.

We all know many instances where dogs have to be fed separately because of food aggression, or resource guarding, but we cope with these situations & manage them so as to minimise conflict. And, if necessary, separate the dogs when we can't be around to supervise things.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Do remember over 30 years ago a friend of mine who used ferrets for rabbiting he had a ferret who had had a litter of 5.

Very good mother.

He made a mistake one day and took her out rabbiting, on returning her to her litter she killed ever one of them....

Its called Blood Lust
Funny, so is hunting.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Funny, so is hunting.

You might find it funny.

Any animal that turns and kills its down to blood lust.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:12 AM
You might find it funny.

What??? You surely can't be serious!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:15 AM
You might find it funny.

Oh believe me, there is nothing funny about hunting as far as I'm concerned. Vile sport.

Anyway, enough now as I've gone OT and that's not fair to OP.
Page 5 of 56 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 > Last »