Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
We had a mongrel when I was younger, nowadays people call them cross breeds? I was never ashamed of my dog I loved him for what he was, I just dont get all these very silly names that dogs are being sold with to be honest, its just a selling tactic, trying to con the average person that is not really into dogs but wants a dog, and sadly they think they are getting something rare. IMO a rock is a rock, a tree is a tree, a mongrel is a mongrel, a pedigree is a pedigree.

ETA the mongrel we bought was for £5 from a pet shop, but we are going back 44 years, wouldnt dream of getting a dog from a pet store now.
mo
Or a dog is a dog
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Or a dog is a dog
indeed, this thread has led breed snobbery to places i could never have imagined
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
A cross is a cross, which is a cross anyway there is nothing wrong with crosses, but call them what they are, mind you I have a lurcher and a longdog, what do you think of that

I don't agree, as long as the dogs are from good breeders have all the relevant health testing, and go to good homes I don't see the issue, espcailly as some people would be great homes, but are turned down by rescues, I myself would love a Podenco from the Ibizan hound rescue, but would still buy an animal from a good breeder, and its not the ones going to responsible breeders who are doing something thats 'like killing a dog in rescue', its those who go to BYB, and who don't take good care, or just don't care at all who add to the rescue poplulation who are doing this IMO.
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Or a dog is a dog
That just about sums it up
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I understand the sentiment behind your post although I dont entirely agree.

Poo's, doodles, cross breeds, call them what you will are just that - a cross between a poodle and a spaniel or whatever. There is no specific breeding programme to give them longer legs, shorter ears, wider chests or less hair-(at least I dont think they are, but I am willing to be corrected.

Maybe it's just that we all have different levels at which we draw the line?

I see no problem with the whole labradoodle, cockerpoo thing, but do have concerns about certain pedigree breed standards and the problems they cause the dog - other people feel differently.
So its ok for someone to breed different breeds together for what purpose I wonder, do these dogs not suffer the same genetic problems of the breeds you do have problems with.

You think its OK for someone to put two breeds together to get A,B,C.. not implementing any health screening nor taking into account the breeds involved , whether they are a suitable fit, money being thee primary concern for the mating.

Where are the records of health screening where can you go to reseach the health problems of these crossbreeds, what register do they go on, are they all free from genetic ailments.

I am afraid your logic is baffling the ethics of purebreds is in question, but the ethics of designer is not
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So its ok for someone to breed different breeds together for what purpose I wonder, do these dogs not suffer the same genetic problems of the breeds you do have problems with.

You think its OK for someone to put two breeds together to get A,B,C.. not implementing any health screening nor taking into account the breeds involved , whether they are a suitable fit, money being thee primary concern for the mating.

Where are the records of health screening where can you go to reseach the health problems of these crossbreeds, what register do they go on, are they all free from genetic ailments.

I am afraid your logic is baffling the ethics of purebreds is in question, but the ethics of designer is not

I dont think I have ever said that it is allright for people to get ABC and not do health screening have I? Irresponsible breeding of either cross breeds or pedigrees is no different. However there are responsible breeders of these dogs who do take care over health checks, temprement of the dogs used etc, just as there are responsible breeders of pedigree or mongrel dogs too.

If all the poo's and doodles were bred to 'enhance' a specific area of their appearance, rather than just a mix of the two breeds then, yes, I would have problems with that.

I do not question the ethics of pure bred dogs - there are some beautiful pedigree dogs out there, and I do not have a problem with that - why should I?

I do worry though when breeding standards are set that result in health problems for the dog purely to satisfy some aesthetic need of people rather than to enhance the health and vigour of the dog itself.

I am not saying that pedigree dogs are full of problems and crossbreeds and mongrels are not.

My last dog was a mongrel. A wonderful dog with a beautiful temperament but I had no idea of his ancestry, what his parents or grandparents were like.

Although he was a wonderful, kind and loving dog, he had ill health from the day I picked him up to the day he died aged 12, proof if it was needed that not all pedigree's are weak and not all mongrels full of good health!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
The ethics of the whole lot are in question!

When you get a pup and say you will only keep it if it makes the grade---when you dispose of ex breeding bitches---when you sell breeding pairs---when you sell a dog specifically as a stud dog. When you kid people on that they are getting something special which is actually a mongrel.

Not an inch between them as far as I can see!

rune
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I've got no problem with calling it a cross, or a mongrel or anything else to be honest, it's just that cockerpoo is the name that this particular 'breed' of dog has been known by for the past 60yrs so I guess that's how they are more commonly known.

Both parents have been checked for eye problems and are clear of hereditary 's reconditions and I will be getting a vet's report before I pick him up. in that!

Here's a pic of my little lad by the wMind you Monty (my last dog that I got fro the RSPCA) had supposedly been vet checked and became really ill on the way home, so I am not sure how much store to be put ay, when he was just a couple of weeks old and still a bit wobbly - can't wait to pick him up!
But its not a breed its a mutt so why make up some daft name? I would be wanting a lot more than eye checks before I sign up for a dog espcially of those breeds and would also be wanting to see hips etc well before I signed up to buy a dog - with both breeds being prone to lux I would want to be very very sure they had been checked well before they were bred.

Arj yes the good old my rescue was a sick poorly dog - so obviously all rescue dogs are! My rescues are purebreed, health checked and can be traced back a hundred years - go figure!
He sure is one cute mut pup!

Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
Purposefully breeding Hairless dogs?????? That is really ridiculous, and pure cruelty in my opinion!!!!!! Dogs have hair for a reason, if you have a problem with dog-hair, don't get a dog! If you want something to dress up, get a barbie!!!! If you're allergic, there are breeds out there already which are anti-allergic... but dogs need hair!!!
What breeds are anti allergic?

It is madness isn't it.

To be honest though it is the end result of a long line of interference into dog breeding that we have by and large put up with for years now.

Is it ok to breed a dog with a pushed in snout, because some committee somewhere thought it looked better, but not so good to breed a dog without hair? I know that is not what you are suggesting - both are bad and are examples of how far interference into the basic make up of dogs has gone unfortunately.
But its ok to breed a couple of dogs and have no idea about what you are going to get out of it? thats not interfernece?

not to mention those who breed cockapoos and all the other poo`s and doodles!!!
Couldnt agree more!

Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
indeed, this thread has led breed snobbery to places i could never have imagined
Not at all! I dont understand your reasoning! I have muts - dont mind calling them that. I also have had and have totally pure bred dogs with a pedigree you can trase back decades. Do I agree with purposely breeding x breeds - NO! Its nowt to do with snobbery just bad breeding practises! I dont agree with breeding pure breeds either when you know they will end up in rescue

Too true (shock horror me and JB agreeing!)
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The ethics of the whole lot are in question!

When you get a pup and say you will only keep it if it makes the grade---when you dispose of ex breeding bitches---when you sell breeding pairs---when you sell a dog specifically as a stud dog. When you kid people on that they are getting something special which is actually a mongrel.

Not an inch between them as far as I can see!

rune
Not a lot there I disagree with rune. I think the main thing is that people should only get a dog if they are willing to love and look after it for the rest of its life.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Not a lot there I disagree with rune. I think the main thing is that people should only get a dog if they are willing to love and look after it for the rest of its life.
Rest of its life ---yes!

rune
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I
If all the poo's and doodles were bred to 'enhance' a specific area of their appearance, rather than just a mix of the two breeds then, yes, I would have problems with that.

!
So what was the reasoning behind breeding a cocker with a poodle?

What made you not want a pure bred poodle or a pure bred cocker?
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 50 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »