Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
The dog is a product of it's breeding, it's training, it's management and environmental factors. None of those are constants in fact each situation is unique.
Not constants in the strict sense of the term but certainly dogs display trends and predispositions with degrees of consistency.

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I don't think the dog was killed just because it had killed.....It was shot because it was in front of the house in an agitated state. I think it was more to stop any further incidents....
Yet it happens in the majority of cases. I expect Jim Rehill's dog would have appreciated an assesment.

Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
What could possibly be gained from keeping this dog alive to assess?
Information and understanding that may help to stop another child losing their life.

You would never get a true insight into the dogs 'normal' behaviour as it would be in a strange environment, not treated 'normally' (after all who would treat a dog normally knowing it killed a child)
Any insight gained will be a 'true insight'. whether it will be representative of the circumstances that led to this tragedy would depend on the skill of the assessors.

My dogs are both trustworthy around my young son but if either of them mauled him to death I would much rather they be shot and killed instantly than be dragged off for assessments or be dragged to the vets in an agitated state to be pts.
I rather try to understand why dogs that were considered by you to be trustworthy would do such a thing as it may help me in the future to determine which dogs are more trustworthy and which are less so.

No matter what the breed, the dog was obviously out of control and deserved his/her fate.
I'm not talking about what the dog deserved. I'm talking about what we, the public, deserved. We deserved a comprehensive investigation into why this happened and that is now not possible.

I am not an apologist for dangerous dogs (despite the misrepresentations that several posters seem to have ascribed to me). Dangerous dogs have no place in open society but if we keep doing the same things then the same things will happen. We need to try and learn from these awful events and destroying the main piece of evidence before it can be examined is a crazy way to proceed.

No doubt they will do a post mortem ....
They did a post-mortem on Rueben but not to look for tumours - it was a PR exercise to establish breed type. Other than that I have not heard of post-mortems being conducted so I think there is considerable room for doubt.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:30 PM
looks like it is was a bull breed:

"Dog handlers and armed response officers attended the house in Ashgrove at 12.24am and, after a safety assessment, killed the dog. Officers are trying to establish the type of dog involved. Neighbours described it as a pit bull type, which is thought to have belonged to Jon Paul's uncle, a serving soldier."

It's just unimaginable.

poor boy, poor family
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
They dont always happen on merseyside. There are attacks all over the country.
here here, me being a scouser but seriously, I just want to reiterate what everyone else has said and hope that it wasn't a bull breed
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:36 PM
As all this happened around 12.30 or so this morning, what was a 4 year old doing wandering around at that time of the day ??

Another child in a Grandparents home being attacked by a "family"dog ! Jeez Thank doG I don't have any kids, no knowing what happened but I bet the dog gets the blame & not the stupid owners.

I trust my dogs, but I don't trust children especially toddlers around tham, having had more than one of my dogs injured by an under 5(one with a Stanley knife & the other with a lolly stick pushed up her nose & neither did anything in retaliation)
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
looks like it is was a bull breed:

"Dog handlers and armed response officers attended the house in Ashgrove at 12.24am and, after a safety assessment, killed the dog. Officers are trying to establish the type of dog involved. Neighbours described it as a pit bull type, which is thought to have belonged to Jon Paul's uncle, a serving soldier."

It's just unimaginable.

poor boy, poor family
Hmmmm??? I know where Ashgrove is

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
As all this happened around 12.30 or so this morning, what was a 4 year old doing wandering around at that time of the day ??
Another child in a Grandparents home being attacked by a "family"dog ! Jeez Thank doG I don't have any kids, no knowing what happened but I bet the dog gets the blame & not the stupid owners.

I trust my dogs, but I don't trust children especially toddlers around tham, having had more than one of my dogs injured by an under 5(one with a Stanley knife & the other with a lolly stick pushed up her nose & neither did anything in retaliation)

This area of Liverpool is, shall we say, not one of the nicest anymore, although it used to be when I was growing up. such a shame for all concerned.

x
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Wire Haired View Post
This is because dogs have morals and ethics. They know the difference between right and wrong and if they choose to hurt anyone they deserve to be killed.

This is why dogs that kill are put to sleep but other animals and people are not. People are locked up for life or rehabilitated.

Other animals who kill might be put to sleep out of revenge but often they are handled better in future.

On the local news this morning they report that reptiles are more popular pets than dogs. Including poisonous snakes which should be kept with a licence.

It crossed my mind that if a child was killed by a reptile because they reached in the vivarium it would probably be given to a new owner or zoo where it would be properly contained.
Omg!!! how ridiculas.

Sorry, anyway being serious for a moment.

As if any keeper of hot (venomous) snakes are going to let any child just stick their hand in a vivarium containing a rattlesnake or gaboon viper, when they sure as hell, wouldn't do that them selves.

Venomous keepers, know their animals are potentially lethal, they also know, that the animals know they're venomous as well. It is far harder to get a dwa licence, to keep venomous snakes, than it is to go out and buy a dog.

Most people who get a dog, don't expect it to attack them or their kids, so in that instance, venomous keepers, are far more aware of the potential dangers of their animals, then a lot of dog owners.

If you would really like to know what'd happen, to a owner of a venomous snake, and to the snake itself, if it bit and killed a child. Then, I'll quite happily, ask the dwa keepers on the exotics forum I'm a member of, most of whoom, have years of experience of working with them, either in the wild and or captivity, and know the law insideout

I'd also like to know what experience you've got wit reptiles, or, are you just going off the same overexagerated media hipe, as surrounds dangerous dogs.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
here here, me being a scouser but seriously, I just want to reiterate what everyone else has said and hope that it wasn't a bull breed
Well i grew up in the area

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Luckily not all children are like that- my son is very good with my dogs.
However, I fail to see how a child could provoke your 'average family dog' into killing them..but i guess this will turn out to be not your average dog.

Johnderonden: I was merely giving an opinion when i used my dogs as an example. If i had even the slightest doubt on their temperament i would not have them with a 2yr old child.
I also dont believe you would see the dogs true temperament in those situations..the same way as you dont see the true colours of the dog with kennel stress and hyper behaviour..get him in the home and hes a different dog.
The same as after a dog fight- both dogs can likely fight again due to the high adrenaline levels- it can take hours and even days for them to return to normal. And also the same as if you take a sensitive dog away from home surroundings, in the company of strangers you would not be able to assess the dog correctly..for instance, i know my GSD would probably not do herself any favours in that situation- that would not reflect how she is at home.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:59 PM
My thoughts go out to the family Poor Little Boy.....

Just one thing though.....Adult supervision? There is no way any dog would attack my kids without getting through me first. I just don't understand x
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 02:59 PM
A report I have seen has said they dog is thought to be either a Pitbull or Mastiff type.
They said it belonged to the boys uncle who has just started in the army.

The local radio have been on the phone to me already.

I just hope an other amnesty is not on the way.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
Why ? It just killed a child.
As I said, I know the dogs actions were wrong but as always in these types of circumstances the full blame always ends with the dog. It is another classic example of why you don't leave dogs alone with kids regardless of how much you trust your dog or your kids.

Obviously this dog had some issues but I highly doubt it attacked for no reason.

It is a terrible tragedy and I really feel for the childs family but I think it is all too easy these days to put 100% blame on the dog and for humans to ease their own guilt in doing so. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it's just my opinion.
Page 5 of 53 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »