Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 01:39 PM

Should I have been asked?

I was recently advised by a friend that they had seen a photograph of my Fabian (English Setter) on a foreign website
They gave me the details and I looked it up myself, sure enough, there was Fabian, the photo had been taken when he was awarded 2nd place in the Puppy class at National Gundog Champ show in 2004. The details of the class and everything were included on the description.
I don't mind that this dog enthusiast has posted the photograph, I suppose I feel quite flattered that Fabian was good enough to be included on her website. What does concern me is, should I have been asked for permission for him to appear? I would, of course, said yes but I'm a little worried that people could take photos and post them just like that, who is to say that the photo they take is of a stance or subject that we want to be recognised for?
Is there any rule that says we must give permission or is it just one of those things?

[IMG][/IMG]
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 01:50 PM
As far as I'm aware, when people are designing websites they have to buy any images used on the site. But if your photos aren't copyrighted??

Not much help, am i?
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 01:52 PM
who ever took the photo is the copyright owner and can do what they want with the pic without your permission. If you took the the pic and its been used without your consent than copyright has been breeched.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your replies, the lady that has the website took the photo, without my knowledge but, as I said, I would have given permission had she asked. I suppose when we are exhibiting our dogs we are showing them off to all and sundry so have to expect that people will take photos of them and us. Thank god she didn't get much of me in it, I think I was having a bad hair day!!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I think it's just common courtesty for people to ask if they can take photos of your dogs and if they can use them on your website.

Helen
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I had the same issue here with alocal paper and my son. He was part of a parade and was photographed without my permission. His picture went into the paper and onto their news web-site. Nothing i could do about that either!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I had the same issue here with alocal paper and my son. He was part of a parade and was photographed without my permission. His picture went into the paper and onto their news web-site. Nothing i could do about that either!
I think thats a bit off really, photographing children, as I said I really don't mind about Fabey but there must be times when someone doesn't want to be photographed let alone plastered on a website or in a newspaper.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I too have learned that there's very little you can do.

I've had photos (not taken by me) of my dogs appear in a breed book, my own photos appearing on other websites and also excepts from an article I wrote on genetics, appear on an internet mailing list under the name of someone else.

I have emailed some of the sites where my own photos have appeared and one did actually reply apologising. I gave permission for it to remain there.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I too have learned that there's very little you can do.

I've had photos (not taken by me) of my dogs appear in a breed book, my own photos appearing on other websites and also excepts from an article I wrote on genetics, appear on an internet mailing list under the name of someone else.

I have emailed some of the sites where my own photos have appeared and one did actually reply apologising. I gave permission for it to remain there.
The photos are bad enough but to steal an article that you have written is absolutely disgusting. You must have been livid.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
The photos are bad enough but to steal an article that you have written is absolutely disgusting. You must have been livid.
What did actually make me livid was the person's response when I confronted her ....

"any resemblance to your article is purely coincidental"
and
"you gave permission for me to use it"

I can laugh about it now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >