View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Have you ever been asked for ID over 18?

I had a really funny experience at a supermarket today. We had run out of drinks at a party I was having so we went to my local supermarket to get some more. I am 31 years old on the 28th of this month and the till woman asked me for ID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! I found this really amusing as never in my wildest dreams do I look under 18

Obviously because it is the law she had to be careful. This meant delaying a whole que full of people so she could call her supervisor to "check I was over 18" as I didn't have any ID with me. She did thank me for not getting stroppy I was laughing far too much to get annoyed with her.

Has this ever happened to any of you? If so what was the oldest you were when it happened?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 10:34 PM
When I lived in America I couldn't get in any bar without showing my passport as proof of age...I was 27 (32 now)

Also when flying home one time the lady on the desk when I was checking in asked for proof of age as she didn't think I was old enough to fly alone as they didn't take under 18's travelling alone...LOL

Well I guess I don't look my age and I certainly don't act it so I can't blame people really...lol

I hated being seen as so much younger when I was younger but now I like it of course!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 10:36 PM
jake i,m 41 and it happened to me when i was with my 19 year old daughter in as shop
the guy asked me for id when buying fags
me and daughter looked at him and burst out laughing,the guy said "what do you find so funny"
my daughter said thats my mum,he looked at us as if we were lying and said i don,t really care do you have id?
well after saying a few words to him
we left the shop minus the fags
and i KNOW i don,t look underage
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
you wont be the first and you wont be the last i get it all the time in the end i had to get a passport to prove my age so now everytime i go to shop for drink or fags i show my passport and im 38 yet i dont look it i look like a little girl and i think my height dosent help either
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2005, 10:42 PM
It has happened to me ever since I turned 18. I have always looked younger than my age. (i'm sure I will appreciate it when i'm older)

My most recent experience was when I was on a night out with my work and we were meeting up in a bar in town. The barmaid wanted to make sure I was over 21 - I had turned 30 just three weeks before, my work colleagues found this most amusing and the poor barmaid got most embarrassed.

I think it was because I was texting my sister at the time and looked a wee bit suss (well that is my excuse)

I used to hate it, but I think once people take a second look now they realise their mistake

Aileen x
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I would take it as a compliment that you look younger, I know I would
In our local off licence we have a sign saying 'If you are fortunate to look under 18 please dont be offended if we ask you for ID' makes me laugh everytime I see it

I have never been asked for ID so far for anything and Im 18 I must have one of those trusting faces
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I used to get annoyed when we all went out together and my old babysitter got into clubs and I got asked for I.D. I was 21 and she was only 17. I used to get told a lot that i was good for taking my little brother out to help my mum(Matthew is mine) I could be bothered to argue.
The worst is some old woman told me that it was really unfair that my mum let me take my brother and sister(Matthew and Bronwyn)out with me while walking our big dog(Abby at 4mths) what got me the most is she thought I was a boy.
Mary
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 11:55 PM
LOL! yes!

I went into a hyper value (really shoddy little place too - but I NEEDED Dancake truffles!) and picked out a box of dancake rum flavoured truffles. I am 20 at this point, and the woman behing the counter wouldn't let me buy said sweets without ID. I hadn't the heart to tell her that they don't actually have rum in, and even if they did it's perfectly legal for me to buy them! lol!!!

xx
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 01:23 AM
I am 18 now but I look younger I was hoping that would change soon but it doesn't sound like it will
I have trouble getting into 15 certificate films
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 08:34 AM
OMG!!! Dancake rum truffles!!!!!!! so lush!!!

I never got asked for ID til i turened 18...then when i was 20 i git asked for ID for ciggies, i was with my friend who was also 20...turned out my friend used to babysit her and she got so embarrased!!!!
Then last year (me=22) got asked for id at wetherspoons and i said OMG im 22 and she turned round and said

" well im 23 but i cant prove it without ID!"

Cow!!!

Luckily at that moment one of my friends from college walked past (behind the bar) and vouched for me

Couldnt beleive it !!!

But when i was working at the co-op i used to aske everyin for id as a joke...even this 85yr old women who always came in for ciggies...she took me seriously once and got upset coz she dint have any!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >