mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Sisters in crime...Cats

Our two cats.

Light colored one... 14 year old cream tabby Blue, 10 lbs
Dark one... 7 year old tortoise shell DSH Pooks, 15.5 lbs

Both female. Blue gotten at 8 weeks, Pooks at 9 months. Hate each other, tend to fight and whatnot. Don't let pics fool you.

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Had two cats live together with me for more than 12 years until one died. Can't say they hated each other. The original cat hated the new cat (and just about everything and everyone else!) and the 'new' cat who was 4 when I took him in and lived to 16, was terrified of the original cat (and just about everything and everyone else!) they rubbed along together after a fashion but never, ever, even once did they curl up together or even curl up on the same sofa or chair.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Nice story, Tang. I really do love cats as much as doggies, they are great pets (unless you get a super mean or super aloof one). A cat at my vet bites anybody who tries to pet him. They keep a warning on the chair he always lays in telling people not to pet him, he is for viewing only.

The other two cats they keep there are nice. They have have a ferret and an annoying bird that shouts HELLO!!! each time someone walks in.

Tang, I know that the cats curling up together can really paint the wrong picture! They only do this in winter, first of all. Secondly, it's only because Blue hates dogs and wants someone nice to stay warm with.

The cats would be great friends if Blue didn't hate pretty much anybody and everybody except my mother. Pooks is a sweet little soul, and it's always Blue that starts the fights... even though she almost always loses.

They really do hate each other, and they mostly avoid each other, and the rest of the time is mostly spend fighting or squabbling over something. They pretty much have the same relationship as Jade and Nigredo.

They avoid each other for the most part and can rarely play nicely. Jade pretty much avoids my room most of the time these days and stays downstairs laying in front of the T.V. or something with another family member or alone.

Oh, well! I can honestly say I've never had pets that REALLY liked each other, even when I had other dogs and cats. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe I just get pets that hate each other by fluke.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 08:45 PM
well I know for a fact that when the timid cat died the bossy boot cat missed him - for all the bossing him around and chucking him off his chosen seats and deciding his dinner was better than hers and all that. She looked very lost for a long time.

But the only reason I took the second one on was because she was always with him in my back garden. The minute I had him deloused, checked over and brought him in THINGS CHANGED!

Bit like with Bella and how I think it would be lovely to have 2 dogs. But she gets miffed if even one of her good pal dogs comes in here and stays more than 5 minutes!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 08:56 AM
I can feel you on that one. What's funny is Jade only seems to like little dogs. I have never had a little dog and like big dogs, but perhaps if her age and Nigredo's were reversed... I'd get a little dog once my oldie passed away and have two dogs again.

A Poodle or something, maybe. But as things are, I'll not own two dogs ever again. Though we have always had two cats, even though none of them really LIKED each other. They do seem to miss them sometimes.

I have not personally really encountered animals missing other animals really... since all my animals don't really like each other. We do not invite other dogs into our house for obvious reasons, of course.

Think I might pick a smaller breed (maybe a hound?) for my next dog, and we might not get another cat once Blue passes. Not sure really, we've always kept two.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Beautiful looking cats .... even if looks are deceptive
When growing up our family always had two cats and one dog. Only two of the cats got on really well and the other would just put up with each other with the odd spat if they got too close.

I do love cats apart from the fact that they kill so many garden birds

Blue and Pooks are gorgeous
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Thank you Jenny. We feed the birds here and our cats are far too old and fat to catch any of them! Our tomcat Goo Goo used to catch them though

Sadly had to give him away because he hated being an indoor cat and was killing everything in sight.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 12:36 PM
beautiful cats!

my third cat is still here and still has to be kept separate from my two. loud hissing matches through the windows and new boy regularly chases my two up trees.

they now look warily round before venturing out!

have had to block off the cat flap as when he got in he made sure everyone knew about it