Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
busybe
New Member!
Male 

10-03-2014, 01:02 AM

Help Broken teeth

my dog broke a 4th premolar and first molar on the same side. has anybody had these teeth extracted. would my dog miss the teeth. would he chew bones or eat food (raw) on the extract side. i have the option to do a root canal but they costs a lot of money. Im curious to see how the extraction site looks all healed up to those who had the dogs teeth extracted. pics would be cool to see. any help would be great.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:05 AM
I don't know which teeth those are (excuse my ignorance) but I do know my CKCS had to have a LOT of teeth removed after getting an abscess under a front one and it spread infection.

She was just FINE even the day she came out of the doggy hospital! Couldn't believe she was chewing away on treats with what teeth she had remaining. Didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest until someone cleverer comes along!
busybe
New Member!
Male 

10-03-2014, 01:07 AM
thanks for the input. its the 2 largest molars in the mouth upper and lower
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Brownie had to have a canine (the long sharp one) extracted when he got a tooth infection. He never had to have any molars removed. The rest of his front teeth simply fell out as an unknown (at that time) bone cancer destroyed the bones and loosened all his teeth.

Despite missing many teeth, he was just fine with eating etc. BTW... I have heard of certain dog toys being dangerous and causing this. Did your dog chew a Nylabone or something to cause this? If so, you might be ale to take some sort of legal action to try and have the root canals paid for?

Good luck!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:14 AM
Good question. How did he break them?
busybe
New Member!
Male 

10-03-2014, 01:14 AM
ya he broke them on a rock.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by busybe View Post
ya he broke them on a rock.

No answer to that really is there! Lordy I wouldn't be paying out for expensive root canal work on a dog who likes to bite down on ROCKS lol!
busybe
New Member!
Male 

11-03-2014, 03:05 AM
he doesent usually chew them. but i guess he was bored and really unlucky. still trying to decide between the 2. what would be the long term causes of loosing those 2 teeth on the same side loke that. im worried that he will only chew on one side and therefore miss those teeth. does any body have expirence of extracting those major molars.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Well my mother has two rear molars removed and she does chew on mostly one side... and it makes her eat slower than most, but it isn't a problem otherwise. Dogs adapt well to even blindness/deafness... far better than we adapt so I KNOW that the dog will be fine without the teeth.

Also, a root canal does NOT always save the teeth... it's just something to try that might. I have also heard root canals can be quite painful whereas tooth extractions really are far less painful.

Like Tang said... I'd not fork over tons of money for a root canal that may be very painful and end up not working anyway. If the dog gets hope to more rocks, it will be pointless anyway, right?

Jade used to stay outside and we dug up and threw out any rocks we found in her enclosure (except the huge ones that nobody can budge). The only way for him to have chewed a rock this much would have had to have been when he was alone, right?

Take some time to pitch away any loose rocks you see outside and leave him with some proper toys to ensure this doesn't happen again. Kongs work well for most dogs, but my Nigredo will eat them and Jade just ignores them.

Good luck
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2014, 06:35 AM
I'd save your cash on canal treatment ,have the broken teeth removed ,you dog won't notice the difference it's got plenty more
Dogs tend to alternate which side of the jaw to chew down on so missing a couple of teeth's no hardship probably won't know there missing once the sockets heal
Flossie our first EES had to have AlLL her teeth removed once heald it never put her up nor down she could chomp down anything
Just funny to see a gumsie smile /grin when she peed back her lips
Ask your vet's advice if your concerned of the long term affects of having the teeth removed ,if it was me I'd not waste my money there again only can decide ,cananal treatment may not work and the teeth could have to be remove anyway
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >