View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Nov 1st is 'All Saints Day'. Halloween is the eve of All Saints Day.

All Saints' Day is the second day of Hallowmas, and begins at sunrise on the 1st of November and finishes at sundown on the 1st of November. It is the day before All Souls' Day.
And not just for remembering 'saints' ...

Hallowmas
Hallowmas, also known as the Triduum of All Hallows (Triduum of All Saints), is the triduum encompassing the Western Christian observances of All Hallows' Eve (Hallowe'en), All Saints' Day (All Hallows') and All Souls' Day, which last from October 31 to November 2 annually. Hallowmas is a time to remember the dead, including martyrs, saints, and all faithful departed Christians. The dates of Hallowmas were established in the 8th century AD.
Of course these days all this is more associated by the general public with pumpkins and fancy dress and witchy poo palaver than with saints or departed souls.

It is why I asked 'what it means' to any of you personally.

Anyway it means nowt here in the pumpkin witchy dress up sense. Not a sniff of it anywhere around here tho' I did read in the Anglo Info Cyprus forum that they are holding a 'graveyard cocktail theme party' somewhere on the island - probably Paphos as that is almost a British enclave now.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Meg, this is why Nov 1st is known as All Saints day to encompass all the saints that don't actually have their own day
LS I've missed my chance at making my fortune then
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Nah I won't vote for that - sounds too nationalistic!
Yes because we are the only nation on earth not allowed to be proud of ourselves....
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi No but quite a few,when i was at convent school every day at breakfst there would be a piece of shiny coloured paper about the size of the cards you used to find in tea,and a picture of the saint and a quotation from the bible.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
When I was at Convent School we had to BUY our 'Holy Pictures' lol!
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi No but quite a few,when i was at convent school every day at breakfst there would be a piece of shiny coloured paper about the size of the cards you used to find in tea,and a picture of the saint and a quotation from the bible.Gemini54
Before you said you only needed one book, the bible , to know the saints . but many saints were
After the bible, so you would need to research more than the bible to find out who they are?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Before you said you only needed one book, the bible , to know the saints . but many saints were
After the bible, so you would need to research more than the bible to find out who they are?
I think you will find (when you have time to speed read it KYes lol) that no saints are mentioned by name in the Bible! And almost all references are to 'saints' plural with none or only one in the singular.

But hell I don't want to get involved in any RELIGIOUS debates with Gemini as she is probably talking about a 'different' bible than the one I am! I'm sure she will be along shortly to back up what she has stated.

I'm reminded here of one of my favourite Woody Allen quotes:
“I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.”
[Woody Allen]
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
It is a tradition in many countries in Europe and elsewhere to celebrate a 'name day' (usually regarded by them as more important than their 'birthday') when they celebrating the day of the year associated with the saint name (or closest thing to it) of their own name.

This is the case in Poland where my DiL hails from and also here in Cyprus.

*when I 'went out to work' I used to say I was only interested in the 'special days' that entitled you to a day off work! Although any reason to celebrate and be happy is welcome.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi I was trying to explain,these pieces of paper,were from the diocese and they always issued them on the saints day plus a quotation from the bible,so as far as I am concerned when I was young these must have originated from the bible. Now priest's can put a name forward to the Vatican,who will deliberate and eventually a new saint will be born.Gemini54
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Having fought our way around Sainsburys with all the assistants dressed as witches, ghosts or vampires we decided that next year we are going to start the fashion/tradition of celebrating All Saints day. We are going to dress in angel costumes with halos and wings.
Wonder if it will catch on

I like it Nippy.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >