Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Who's the adult??

I know I shouldn't, I know I'm supposed to be an adult and set a good example but . . . .

My new foster kid well she's 10 but been there, seen it, had more than everyone else! ! Everything you say she's done/had more

So tonight she was boasting that she could eat 20 pancakes with chocolate spread on - so I ummmm kinda challenged her for a tenner (2 weeks pocket money)

She managed 4 and left 3, I just kept on making them and piling them up on her plate She's now laid out on the sofa bloated and not feeling too well

Oooops

(obviously I'm not going to take the money off her - but she doesn't know it yet!!!)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh how mean.. but I suppose it's a good way of teaching her that lies can be found out.. it's the sort of thing adults do to other adults - and you didn't accuse her..
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I think that was a great method of parenting teaches in a non violent or aggressive way that lies will always be found out.

I remember as a child constantly pretending that I was smoking a cigarette, then one day my gran sat me down (I was about 7) and made me and my cousin smoke a whole cigarette between us. I can still remember the sickness to this day lol, and neither of us have ever smoked (and no I don't recommend this nowadays )
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2011, 08:02 PM
i remember my mum telling me that when she was little her dad bought her an ice cream from the ice cream van, when she got it she complained it was small and that she could eat a bigger one ................ so what did he do ....... he got the biggest bowl he could find in the house took it back to the ice cream van and got them to fill it up and then made my mum sit and eat all of it
she never complained about the size of an ice cream again in fact she didnt want ice cream for a while after that
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 09:36 AM
*snigger* Sorry, shouldn't laugh. But it's so tempting to do that sometimes.

I had a similar situation with my husband when we first got married, he can't drive, had never sat behind the wheel of a car or even contemplated it.

He and I had just been to the movies and we had a racing game on the machines in the foyer of the theatre. He won and ALL the way home he was going on and on and on about how much better a driver he was than me....so I pulled off onto an unused aerodrome and got out of the car and said...RIGHT...you drive!

Fair play, he got into the drivers seat, sorted himself out, and I got him to drive a short distance...we got to him changing from first to second gear...when we came to a stop he said he didn't like driving...it was way too complicated!

Ever since he has never criticised my driving or even said he could be a better driver

Rather amusing.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I remember pestering my parents for a Knickerbocker Glory when on hols once.... I pestered all through the holiday, every day. Drove my parents mad.

They were huge and really expensive. Eventually Dad said I could have one, but I had to eat it all and I said "Of course I can!"

So I got one. I ate so much, and felt horribly sick and bloated; and Dad wouldn't let us leave the cafe until I'd finished it. I remember crying that I couldn't finish it, and feeling horrible....

I don't think I ended up eating it all.... just enough to teach me a lesson though....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Haha! I would have done the same thing. Nothing more annoying than a know-it-all kid! (I have one of those here ) ... although I WOULD take the money!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 06:16 PM
obviously a child that has the need to impress
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I did feel bad for a while but we've not had one 'well I can . . more/better/faster ' today !! We've nicknamed her Elevenarife ( gotta go one better than Tenerife)