View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:07 PM

K.C Puppy Good Citizen Foundation Course...

Well...1stly sorry if this ends up a long post but thoughts and opinions will be valued...

Freya is my nearly 4 month old cocker spaniel pup. I think she is doing very well and am pleased with her progress. I decided to go and do k.c puppy good citizen foundation course. I havent done this course but have completed bronze silver and gold with my boxer.

Tonight was the 1st night of the course and I was really excited. The club is long established and I have been a member on/off for about 14 years. Admittedly the trainers of the puppy class I havent met before...

So, we are all sitting down and listening to her and her friend talking re puppies and course. The main "trainer" was saying that every dog owner does their own things re furniture, run of house and there are pros and cons to everything. What she did say was if you are downstairs and your woof is upstairs and can look out the window then it will be head of the heirarchy and therefore dominant (hmm-is this true??). Then two much older puppies started eyeballing each other and one owner put his pup on his lap. He was told not to do this as his pup is a dominant pup. What are everyones thought re keep saying re dominance? Is this something that is true or is this "old hat"?? Interesting...

Then we go onto the training mats and she talks re dog tags and you must have house number and road name on it and postcode and its the law. Freya has house number and postcode. The local dog warden said this was fine a couple of years ago when doing the bronze award. Has this changed?? If so I need new tags for all my woofs...

Then, I get told off in front of everyone because Freya is wearing a harness. To be honest at this point I couldnt be bothered to argue the toss re its because she had kennel cough and I wanted to rest her trachea as she does backflips on a collar yet walks quite nicely (I think) on a harness. This is not something I have ever done before-I have always used collar and lead. Then she says "If you decide to carry on using a harness and then you choose to change to a collar and lead you have set yourself up to fail as your pup/dog will need to relearn all commands"...am I right in thinking in dog training you use your voice and hand signals?? Or am I being a bit dim-not the first time I hasten to add!!!

I have come away quite disappointed to be honest. I really love the club...well in the good old days...I suppose Ive written this post as I need to get it off my chest as I cant believe what I have just been to. Freya loved it by the way!!

It may be that I finish this course then find another club but previously this club was always the front runner of all my local clubs...

Again..all your thoughts welcomed esp If I have mis-understood what they have said or mean or if I am behind the times in the world of dog training...

Thanks xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by boxergoggins View Post
What she did say was if you are downstairs and your woof is upstairs and can look out the window then it will be head of the heirarchy and therefore dominant (hmm-is this true??).

Utter twaddle (to use a technical term)

Then two much older puppies started eyeballing each other and one owner put his pup on his lap. He was told not to do this as his pup is a dominant pup. What are everyones thought re keep saying re dominance? Is this something that is true or is this "old hat"?? Interesting...

Utter twaddle

Then we go onto the training mats and she talks re dog tags and you must have house number and road name on it and postcode and its the law. Freya has house number and postcode. The local dog warden said this was fine a couple of years ago when doing the bronze award. Has this changed?? If so I need new tags for all my woofs...

No it has not changed, you need "name or number of house plus postcode, as a bare minimum" You do not need new tags.

Then, I get told off in front of everyone because Freya is wearing a harness. To be honest at this point I couldnt be bothered to argue the toss re its because she had kennel cough and I wanted to rest her trachea as she does backflips on a collar yet walks quite nicely (I think) on a harness. This is not something I have ever done before-I have always used collar and lead. Then she says "If you decide to carry on using a harness and then you choose to change to a collar and lead you have set yourself up to fail as your pup/dog will need to relearn all commands"...am I right in thinking in dog training you use your voice and hand signals?? Or am I being a bit dim-not the first time I hasten to add!!!

Utter twaddle, using that logic, what happens when you take the collar off (as you do in Field Trials and may do in other competitions)

I have come away quite disappointed to be honest. I really love the club...well in the good old days...I suppose Ive written this post as I need to get it off my chest as I cant believe what I have just been to. Freya loved it by the way!!

It may be that I finish this course then find another club but previously this club was always the front runner of all my local clubs...

Again..all your thoughts welcomed esp If I have mis-understood what they have said or mean or if I am behind the times in the world of dog training...

Thanks xx
Just ignore all the claptrap and concentrate on passing the course.

TBH I have gone to clubs for many years where the trainers talk a load of claptrap, I just ignore them and do my own thing.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/379

See above link for legally compliant permutations.

I would suggest you print it out and take it with you.

They are there to teach you the foundation course not provide dubious behavioural advice.

your sincerely

KC Approved GCDS Examiner, Gold
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Agreed. Utter twaddle. Couldn't have said it better myself My tags have my surname plus only house number and postcode, no road name and my tags are compliant (also have tel number but not required). As for the upstairs downstairs thing Dogs can pull on a harness or a collar, they can walk nicely on a harness or a collar, it's about training, not equipment Complete the course if you like but don't take everything as gospel, you clearly know better
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
The only thing about harnesses is that a dog may not be on a harness under test..........unless there is a medical condition.
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks both of you very much for your replies...I really appreciate it. Thought I was behind the times...

I was told "the harness can injure the sternum too"!!!

smokeybear
The only thing about harnesses is that a dog may not be on a harness under test..........unless there is a medical condition.
Thanks...they didn't mention that bit!!! I think they assume we all lap up everything they say I will give Freya another week of the harness and providing all's still ok (shes just finished 2nd course of antibiotics-vet cleared her to go to dog club) I will do collar and lead (as I have always done!)

Thanks once again...
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-07-2011, 09:11 PM
We are doing the course with Coco ,So far so good with no stupid advice ..
He even accepts us changing command words that we have used in the past.
Good luck with little Freya..
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I was at a ringcraft class recently with my puppy and the hall was shared with KC obedience classes. No idea what happened, but at one point I suddenly saw a trainer hitting a little dog, pinning it to the ground! I didn't see what led to it, but I told the woman sitting next to me that if she did that to my dog, I'd punch her back! It shocked me! They were selling pet corrector so I assume it was one of the Roger Mugford associates or something like that.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
I was at a ringcraft class recently with my puppy and the hall was shared with KC obedience classes. No idea what happened, but at one point I suddenly saw a trainer hitting a little dog, pinning it to the ground! I didn't see what led to it, but I told the woman sitting next to me that if she did that to my dog, I'd punch her back! It shocked me! They were selling pet corrector so I assume it was one of the Roger Mugford associates or something like that.

Did you challenge the trainer, report it to your ringcraft trainer? As this club is training the KCGCSDS it must be KC registered, so did you report them to the KC?

Anybody can see pet correctors, or any other product it does not mean they have anything to do with RM.

Nothing will change if people like this are not reported.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Did you challenge the trainer, report it to your ringcraft trainer? As this club is training the KCGCSDS it must be KC registered, so did you report them to the KC?

Anybody can see pet correctors, or any other product it does not mean they have anything to do with RM.

Nothing will change if people like this are not reported.
No I didn't as I'm not sure if the ringcraft class has anything to do with the other class or they are just sharing the church halls. My trainer didn't see it anyway as she was at the table checking a dog. It was my first time there and it was far away but will check it out when I go next.
I did a bit of research and I think I found that trainer on one of the association websites that RM is a part of. I THINK that is the trainer on there but need to be sure.
If I see her doing it again, hell I'll confront her there and then!