Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Wainwrights V CSJ

I am interested in opinions on the wainwrights salmon and potato adult food, as i have read a bit about CSJ and although it seems cheaper it seems to be a good food and one of my springers doesnt find it easy to keep weight on, i wondered if anyone had experience or tales to tell etc of either.

I am currently feeding wainwrights S&P, but am thinking about changing to CSJ.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 09:32 AM
The crude protein level is the same, the CSJ has 2% higher oil content, .5% higher fibre and 1.2% less mineral content.

Both contain grain as well as potato, which kind of defeats the purpose of choosing a food with potato!

Dogs gain weight from higher oil/fat content, NOT carbohydrates, Not sure what the diference in price is but if you want a dog to put on weight then you need to feed a high density calorific diet and choose a high oil content, this will usually push up the price.

You could just add oil to the existing diet.

Wainwrights

Salmon Protein (min. 23%), Potato (min. 21%), Sorghum, Whole Grain Barley (min. 10%), Atlantic Fish Meal, Whole Linseed (min. 4%), Sugar Beet Pulp (min. 5%), Sunflower Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Alfalfa, Natural Seawood (min. 0.5%), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Marigold Extract, Yucca Extract, Rosemary Extract.

Typical Analysis:

Moisture 8%, Protein 21%, Oils and Fats 10%, Fibre 3.5%, Ash 7.2%, Vitamin A 12000iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1200iu/kg, Vitamin E (a-tocopherol), 600iu/kg, Copper (Cupric Sulphate) 12mg/kg. Contains Tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin. Vitamin E and C as EC permitted antioxidant. No added colourants, flavourings or preservatives. Vitamin declaration is valid until best before date printed With batch number on back of pack

CSJ CP Salmon and Potato
Ingredients
Fresh Salmon (min 26%), Whole White Rice, Corn, Fish Meal, Barley, Chicken Oil, Oats, Brewers Yeast, Sugar Beet, Whole linseed, Salmon Oil, Herbs (marshmallow, peppermint, fenugreek, parsley, rosemary), Minerals, Vitamins, Chicory Extract, Yucca Extract, Chondroitin, Glucosamine Sulphate & MSM.

Typical Analysis
Crude Protein : 21% , Oil : 12% , Fibre : 3% , Ash : 6%,Omega 6:3 : ratio4.1:1 , Vitamin A : 20,000iu/kg , Vitamin D3 : 1,400iu/kg
Vitamin E : 120iu/kg ,Calcium : 1.2% , Phosphorus : 0.75% , Zinc : 195mg/kg , Copper (as Cupric Sulphate) : 15mg/kg , Metabolic Energy : 15.1MJ/kg
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I feed Wainwrights to Harvey. I do add some Butchers tripe mix with his "soaked" kibble. He maintains his weight, neither gains or looses it. It agrees with him - he did have Colitis - i say did as im careful with his diet.

I dont know anything about tbe other food. Skinners do a salmon kibble & they are very compepitive price wise.

If it were me, i would stick to the food that agrees with the dog

A very good food for sensitivity is Wafcol salmon & potato
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 03:35 PM
CSJ is my food of choice, perfect for my dogs when they are in hard/fit work and condition over the summer and when they are not quite so fit over the winter. They maintain their weight really well.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Another CSJ lover here, we've fed it a good while and it keeps weight on unlike Burns, for example. There's plenty of different sorts too, we've just swapped onto the less active one and both my young Border Collie and my 15 year old BCx do really well on it.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Totally off the topic here but i received samples today from CSJ as they seem very reasonably priced. Also i know a few people who have dogs on this and there dogs are in very good condition. So im giving it a try. They like the salmon and potato, but im also going to try the 'that will do' range as well. Cheaper as im now unemployed again lol
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 05:31 PM
CSJ here as well
rossi roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2011, 09:51 PM
hello to all dogsey members i have just joined your site because i am looking for a good natural kibble to feed my bedlington x whippet Rossi we have tried the natural dog food company kibble which he seemed to do very well on but as it has no added vitamins or minerals i am unsure about its long term use so we are now trying whites premium kibble can anyone recomend a better option ??? or are we on the right track ??? thank you all
Gizmoli626
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Has anyone used CSJ's with a GSD pup or any large breed?
I'm used to buying Beta's large puppy food (i found it better on her stomach than wainwrights) but CSJ's is just puppy food and not specific to large, faster growing breeds?
I'll eventually be weaning my GSD off the more expensive foods when she has fully grown to a slightly cheaper brand of food and have heard good things about CSJ
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I have looked at the Natural Dog Food company website and it states that it is the only product of its type in the UK to contain only natural vitamins so have you asked them what these are and why they are not listed on the labelling?

So what makes you want to change brands apart from this?

Both look much of a muchness to me, so if your dog is doing well on what you are currently giving him, ask the manufacturer for some information.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >