Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Yeah right, didn't even talk to a dog trainer just a guy who goes out after them. Its hardly comparable.
Er, you missed something - didn't just 'talk' to someone, I was actually there and went out after them myself.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah and a solid recall takes how long? and only works if you (not the dog) see the gator.
So does e-collar training. And considering the amount of dogs I see shocked OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for the SAME THINGS e-collar training DOES NOT WORK.

And it requires YOU to see the alligator and train the dog to avoid it. YOU have to see it in order to even begin the training. You cannot know what your dog is sniffing and so therefore you HAVE to make sure the dog has made the connection between the alligator YOU HAVE SEEN and the shock. You have NO way of knowing that the dog is going to make the proper connection, which is why it would take a hell of a lot more than one session to make sure the dog knew exactly what it was going to avoid. In the case of something dangerous like an alligator I would prefer to:

1. Keep my dog on a leash.
2. Keep away from the water's edge.
3. Go someplace safe to walk my dog off leash.

It's really that simple.

With e collar avoidance training the dog learns in one sesison to avoid gators.On its own, it doesn't need you nannying it ect it just looks out for itself.
0 dogs trained to avoid alligators. 0 dogs trained to avoid snakes. 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

You are shooting your mouth off about something YOU DO NOT KNOW. And all your crappy videos show dogs who have to be shocked over and over again in order to do even the simplest thing. Your shock collar training DOES NOT WORK and is in no way fool proof. Dogs will be dogs. I'd rather

How much more simple can it be? No pain, dog safe, not eaten, and off leash walking where it is.

Also, a good solid recall doesn't take that long to train with many dogs. I know YOU think it takes forever because what dog wants to come to you when you shock the crap out of it. But for those of us who actually train our dogs, it doesn't take much at all.

Also, it doesn't require YOU to know where the alligator is. If you know your dog, you can see potential warning signs that the dog has scented something interesting. It might be a small mammal or it might be an alligator. Either way you can easily call the dog back if you need to. But again, I wouldn't have my dog off leash or near the water's edge.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD????
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah so what, not a dog trainer who did this type of training was he?

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:28 PM
And how many dogs have you owned?

One isn't it, that appears to have a very easy going if somewhat fearful nature, yeah I'll really bow to your experience lol.

Adam
I own one dog. That's true. I have trained many more. I wasn't able to have my OWN dog until I got into a place where I was allowed to. I trained childhood dogs and I work with rescues to help train theirs. So really, nice try.

Also, my dog is not fearful and is easy going only because of the amount of training and exercise she gets.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
So does e-collar training. And considering the amount of dogs I see shocked OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for the SAME THINGS e-collar training DOES NOT WORK.

And it requires YOU to see the alligator and train the dog to avoid it. YOU have to see it in order to even begin the training. You cannot know what your dog is sniffing and so therefore you HAVE to make sure the dog has made the connection between the alligator YOU HAVE SEEN and the shock. You have NO way of knowing that the dog is going to make the proper connection, which is why it would take a hell of a lot more than one session to make sure the dog knew exactly what it was going to avoid. In the case of something dangerous like an alligator I would prefer to:

It's really that simple.

0 dogs trained to avoid alligators. 0 dogs trained to avoid snakes. 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

You are shooting your mouth off about something YOU DO NOT KNOW. And all your crappy videos show dogs who have to be shocked over and over again in order to do even the simplest thing. Your shock collar training DOES NOT WORK and is in no way fool proof. Dogs will be dogs. I'd rather

How much more simple can it be? No pain, dog safe, not eaten, and off leash walking where it is.

Also, a good solid recall doesn't take that long to train with many dogs. I know YOU think it takes forever because what dog wants to come to you when you shock the crap out of it. But for those of us who actually train our dogs, it doesn't take much at all.

Also, it doesn't require YOU to know where the alligator is. If you know your dog, you can see potential warning signs that the dog has scented something interesting. It might be a small mammal or it might be an alligator. Either way you can easily call the dog back if you need to. But again, I wouldn't have my dog off leash or near the water's edge.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD????
Your last paragraph makes my point about avoidance training totally. Thank you!

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Clearly this does not work or else people wouldn't need to do avoidance training.

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Your last paragraph makes my point about avoidance training totally. Thank you!

Adam
So you're going to train your dog to be scared to sniff anything? Because that's the point you're trying to make.

So you're going to shock the crap out of your dog for looking interested in SOMETHING. And so the dog is scared to do anything? Sniff anything? Move anywhere?

You're a moron.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Clearly this does not work or else people wouldn't need to do avoidance training.

Adam
Yes. It does. The problem is people don't WANT to do that. They want to let their dog off leash in dangerous areas. This person doesn't want to drive 8 miles up the road to let their dog go someplace safe. It has nothing to do with NEED and everything to do with WANT.

I also think it may be illegal to let your dog off leash in the Everglades, but I'll have to look further into that.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Nope just gators.

Dogs sniff/look interested in stuff all the time.

If they get negative feedback from it one time they do not become scared to sniff/look interested they think ''hey whats different'' ''oh yeah gator'' ''better avoid that''

Jean Donaldson talks about this in relation to punishment in on of her book (not the gator thing but the hey whats different thing)

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Nope just gators.

Dogs sniff/look interested in stuff all the time.

If they get negative feedback from it one time they do not become scared to sniff/look interested they think ''hey whats different'' ''oh yeah gator'' ''better avoid that''

Jean Donaldson talks about this in relation to punishment in on of her book (not the gator thing but the hey whats different thing)

Adam
OMG you really don't understand dogs at all, do you? Wow. I mean, I knew you didn't understand dogs, but to give them the power of human reasoning just blows my mind.

Adam, stay far away from dogs.
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »