View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:24 PM

Adult teeth through but milk teeth remain?

Hi I am hoping someone might know if this is a common problem or not. Bruce is a 23 week old Black Labrador Retriever. As far as I can tell nearly all his adult teeth are through now but unfortunately where his big pointy fang teeth have come through top and bottom he has still got his baby teeth!
Do you think there is a chance they might still drop out or does he need them extracted by the vet? Or do I just leave well alone?
Any one else ever come across this? xx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Tilly had the same problem. At six months she had a row of adult teeth and some puppy teeth, bit like a shark! The vet said they would probably come out eventually but when she was neutered, they took them out at the same time just in case they didnt losen on their own. I wouldnt worry to much at the moment, just keep an eye on them but if it looks like he's in pain or struggling to eat its probably worth getting the vet to check.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for your help! Yep it is a bit lke a shark! The extra teeth don't appear to bother Bruce at all. I think I will leave well alone for time being and then like you ask the vet to extract them when he is neutered. That's if I can persuade my husband to have him neutered!

Thanks again. xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi Cachapman retained deciduous teeth are quite common , your puppy is not yet 6 months so still has plenty of time to shed his baby teeth.

It helps with teething if a puppy has hard 'safe' things to chew on. Nylabones are good also a frozen whole carrot.

One of my puppies had her retained teeth removed at 9 months when she was spayed.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Bobby had this. He had a lovely set of grown up teeth and a single very long and pointy canine incisor.

I was worried that he would have to have it removed, but one morning, when he was about 6mths, it just wasn't there any more
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2010, 06:08 AM
It's good to know that Bruce isn't the only one with extra teeth! They do look funny though!
I will try giving him some frozen carrot and see if that helps! He likes carrots and apples!
We have stopped giving him hard chewy things as his gums keep bleeding? I will get him a nylabone and give that a try!
Think we spend more on Bruce each week than we do the kids!

Thanks for your replies! xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
It's good to know that Bruce isn't the only one with extra teeth! They do look funny though!
I will try giving him some frozen carrot and see if that helps! He likes carrots and apples!
We have stopped giving him hard chewy things as his gums keep bleeding? I will get him a nylabone and give that a try!
Think we spend more on Bruce each week than we do the kids!

Thanks for your replies! xx
Hi it is normal for the gums to bleed during teething , don't stop giving hard things to chew. Your puppy needs to bite on things in order to cut his teeth and to help the newly emerged teeth to settle into the gums.
Try also moistening an old tea towel, knot it and freeze it, chewing on this (under supervision) will help to sooth sore gums.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Just thought I would let you know Bruce has lost one if his extra teeth today! 3 more to go!

Thanks for all your help and advice! xx
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2010, 11:40 PM
My Yorkie who's not with us anymore retained some of her baby teeth, though when she was speyed the vet removed them.
I now have a Chihuahua who'll be 2 in a couple of weeks, he retained one tooth a couple of months longer tham all the others but it came out in one of his puppy strops lol, he bit his crate door leaving the tooth behind.
During teething we used frozen carotts, hyde sticks, nylabones. The strops have stopped now and for a small dog his teeth are great.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Yay! All 4 teeth have fell out! I am pleased as I think they spoilt his looks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >