Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 06:40 PM

If You Could Be An Expert...?

What particular part of dogs/dog ownership interests you the most?

For example, you might really be into the genetics of breeding, you might be a swot when it comes to dog psychology or you might be up on the medical side.

Me personally, I have a keen interest in canine nutrition. It came about because Jed was overweight, Flynn had skin problems so I really started to pay attention to what I was feeding them. I became obsessed with reading labels!

I'm in no way an expert on the matter, from from it but i'd love to do a course on canine nutrition and really know my stuff. That would be my major, my second choice would be dog psychology.

I was just wondering if you could be an expert in a particular doggy field, what would it be and why? For those of you who are experts, what made you decide on that area?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm also interested in nutrition, and also coat colour genetics. I would like to learn more about canine physiology too, and do a ttouch qualification, as I have been on a basic course and it was great.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm interested in the medical side of things, and soooo wish I'd been a vet, which I probably could have been, I had good qualifications, but chose another route, then again, maybe it's for the best, I might have ended up worrying myself to death seeing all the things they have to see, and unable to help them sometimes. Did you know that vets have the highest suicide rate than any other profession? We've lost three vets that way in my area alone over the years!

I'm not interested in nutrition at all, I'd find that boring tbh, training doesn't interest me either, whereas dog psychology does, same as human psychology.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Training.
I suppose I know the most about puppy training, but I am on a sharp and steep learning curve with rescues too!
I am also really interested in canine communication.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Like Helena, I wish I'd have been a vet! I'm really interested in genetics (particularly to do with populations) and I'd love to learn more about construction and movement. At university I did some research into the dog in art, which was really interesting, albeit not very useful! I think I'd rather be an expert in something that would improve the lives of dogs, even in a small way.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 07:44 PM
if I could be an expert in any area it would be training/breeding

thank god for dogsey, I can come on here and get really good advice on all of the topics listed,

I would say that nutrition is my weekest point.,
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:23 PM
For me it would be genetics followed closely by veterinary
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I`d just like to understand them more. For that I think observation, interaction and the benefit of others` experience is best.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I think dog Psychology and then nutrition. I have had to learn a lot about nutrition with Jess being a sensitive dog and my Westie used to be allergic to meat/meat deriratives.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-11-2009, 11:22 PM
From a practical point of view I'd say behaviour and communcation. Buuuut I think from an anthropological perspective dogs are fascinating, and I'd love to know more about that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >