Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poodlelady
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Help with Agility

Hiya,
Just wondered if anyone on here had/has the same problem as i have.
My dog (Standard Poodle) was doing great on the Dog Walk, running over confidently, getting the contacts... then!!! He fell off on the upward stretch and now wont even go near it. I have tried everything I know. Going back to basics.... using his beloved toy/treats/loads and loads of praise. He flatly refuses to go anywhere near it and runs away when we get to that bit of equipment..
Any ideas would be welcomed
Thanks,
Linda & Flint
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Oh dear poor him!!

Have you tried putting the dog walk on the floor?? so there is no height and then totaly reward

If he wont even go near that how about just put lots of treats all along it and leave him to take them if he wants - but just ignore him
then leave it and dont go near it again that sesh

Then build up slowly

Or how about totaly changing the exersise for a wee while - get him to nose touch a target and then place the target in random places - sometimes close to the dogwalk
Make it lots of fun and always stop when he is still desperate to play

Then over time build up to him touching the target on the side of the dogwalk, then on the contact at the bottom, then up a wee bit so he has 2 paws on it
THen hopefully he sould forget about the big scary thing he fell off of and remember that you are playing the really fun and rewarding game of nose touch things

HTH
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Oh no, poor little chap

The only other thing I can think of that worked for Jack, that Ben Mc hasn't mentioned is getting your dog to sit, on lead, with you, near the dog walk, in a completly relaxed manor, Chris used to sit on the floor cuddling Jack, and just watch the other dogs go up the dog walk, and in Jack's case A-Frame and See-Saw. it took a long time, but Jack got there in the end.

The only other thing I can sugest is try not to make a big thing of it, your dog has had a fright and if you make a big fuss about it, he'll know to continue to be frightened, but big, huge, way over the top praise for the tiniest of baby steps and don't push your dog further than is comfortable for him, it's obviously going to take time, just don't expect too much too soon.

Jack got frightened on the See-Saw and wouldn't go near it for ages, but he's got there know, but it took over a year, so please be patient and don't give up hope
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Lots of good ideas but I wondered if he will still do seesaw?

If so maybe take one of the ramps from the dogwalk and put it against the table and see if he will do that
poodlelady
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Hiya all,
Thanks for al the tips, they are taken on board and will put them into practise next time we go out training. We have a small dog walk and he has no problems with that. Maybe I am not giving him enough time, bless his sensitive soul!!!! Just very frustrating as he was flying over the dog walk,getting the contacts no problem.... A frame and see saw no problem either... Funny things dogs.....
I am doing a training weekend at the end of March, will let you know how we get on.
Thanks again,
Linda & Flint