Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-08-2005, 11:54 AM

Goodbye 35mm Cameras?

[Is this the beginning of the end for them?]

High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital cameras.

The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the current stock of the film cameras runs out..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I think for the point and shoot photographers it's the end.
But for real photography enthusiasts i think it's still divided
I use digital cameras at work but at home i use my 35mm SLR
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I am a complete novice and as a novice I can say I can't even imagine going back to the regular film type camera...But if I was a professional, as Stew says, I would want to do it how it used to be done
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I was always a point and shoot type, but with this digital SLR, its brilliant, and I am learning too!
Dawn.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah Dawn one big advantage of digital is being able to see the results straight away which makes it great for learning.
The cost savings is a major advantage too, when i was learning i spent a fortune on film and processing.
My one real problem with digital is storage, with film you have a negative or slide for storage, but with digital all you have is the digital file and i don't trust digital storage at all.
I could bore you all with my views on digital photography (and my views are in a minority) but i wont bore you
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Have to say that I would never get rid of my SLR, like playing around with filters and stuff too much, even though I generally only keep 15 or so from a 36 film. The digi is OK but I still only regard them as 'snaps' but as Stewart says the savings on developing are emence. Always take both on holiday and the SLR will always be known as 'the proper camera'

Would like to find out more about digital SLRs at some point and maybe ask Santa for one
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Holidays can be a problem because unless you take a laptop with you you have to buy quite a few storage cards.

I must admit that i hate using digital cameras at work because i have my favourite films for different kind of portraits and with digital you are stuck with the chip quality of the camera
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I love what is probably now considered old fashioned photography, I will hold dear to my 35mm camera for life until at least it becomes financially unviable to develop the film due to rarity.

Digital cameras have their place for sure, it's great to have instant photos to send all around the world, manipulate for websites etc....

But love traditional photography particularly the darkrooms, and always will
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 07:12 PM
I love black and white printing which is something digital printers are still struggling with
Though digital colour prints are amazing and more convenient to do than traditional.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 07:15 PM
this is the same as vcr's they are not restocking once all sold
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >