Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Financial costs of having a dog/s

There must be some very 'well off' folk to be in a position to adopt.rehome dogs n everything along with it,no offense, but how do you manage it? Insurance, feeding, vet bills, trainers etc. ?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't go out socially apart from organised greyhound walks with other greyhound people which are free, and I don't buy new clothes.
I am limited to 2 dogs and still yes I find it a struggle, but they are my life.
I can't afford vets bills which is why I have mine insured so they can always get the best vet care there is.
My dogs make me happy and they keep me going and get me out exercising, so I don't need anything else.
Edited to add I don't have holidays either and I adopt/Rescue
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't go out, I don't go shopping except to Tesco, I don't have many clothes, I don't have holidays (except for four wonderful magic ones recently that someone else paid for), I don't smoke and I do have a great bank manager! I put £20 of petrol in the car each week and if the petrol runs out before the week does I don't go anywhere.

It is a lifestyle choice and I don't regret any of it.

I don't suppose I shall have this many dogs again.

They aren't insured, I save an amount a month and I have back up which will pay them if there isn't enough there and I can pay back.---I am very lucky.

rune
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Its cheaper to adopt then to buy a brand new puppy I had planned to buy mini schnauzer but at £800 its a bit steap for me morally speaking thats a lot of money to charge for a puppy reguardless of the amount of vet checks and propper tests I dont want to feel like im paying for the bills when I just want a puppy.

I just find it astonishing that people can spend thousends of pounds on their dog and then decide they don't want one after three years because their having a baby.

I can honestly afford to keep one as I dont smoke/drink or have a car to pay bills towards I dont have a kid either so adopting or sticking to my original budget will allow me to afford to keep a dog.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Work full time and earn money to pay for them! That's how!

I have two dogs. The dogs come first! They are well fed, cared for, receive ongoing traning, well walked, are insured, spayed etc etc and generally have a wonderful, varied life!

I don't drink or smoke, buy expensive stuff or go on fancy holidays etc. In fact, I don't go on any holidays (apart from the odd weekend at a dog show, ie. London), wish I could!

I wouldn't put my dogs in kennels though - ever. They would pack their bags and leave me if I did! I do, however, have my grandparents who would take care of the dogs if I chose to go away (they are with my granpa for a most of the day when I'm at work, though they can be left without a problem at all when needed).

I couldn't be without my two dogs, they are my life and I love them more thany anything. I don't regret the money and time I spend on them at all and they give back so much in return. They are amazing.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:35 PM
buy not doing anything else! simples!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
buy not doing anything else! simples!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Also, how do you mean 'adopt dogs and everything that goes along with it'? Don't understand this part!

It costs more to buy a puppy from a good breeder than it does to rescue!

No idea what the general rescue prices are really, though I'm sure it varies. Lets say £150 for example - and included in that you usually get spaying/castrating - you don't get that with a a purchased puppy!

Both rescue and bought dogs require training/feeding/walking/insuring and so on anyway as well, so that's no different really either.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I work to pay for mine I don't smoke anymore (sometimes wish I did ), I don't drink... well not much, I eat rubbish, but rubbish is cheap, infact my animals eat better food than me!! I also go without holidays because I would rather be with the dogs, piggies and bunnies!
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:43 PM
yep same as me i have got 3 dogs and 5 cats all are neutered and they are my life, i have no children and dont intend to, i dont know about u lot but i can be sitting in the living room and just look over at my girls asleep on there sofa and my heart melts, i had to do a few hors training at work today and there is a pet shop on the industrial estate so i popped in got the girls some fishy treats and bought the biggest cat scratching post u could imagine its over 1m tall and as round as a dinner plate, when i got home 4 of the cats were fast asleep on the bed and i put the post on the beroom floor and 1 by 1 they all came and had a scratch so i know it was money well spent and they all loved it ) what makes me happy is when they are happy just wish they could answer back when i talk to them lol
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »