View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Iain....sorry, I'm not picking on you but.......
Trainers/owners are in the business to make money....why else would they want to own a greyhound and keep it in a kennel?
There is money in the industry, huge money. Over 2 billion pounds are gambled on greyhounds every year and in return the bookmakers pay a voluntary levy of 0.6% of their gross profits back into the industry. This amounted to a dismal 11 million quid for 2008. Compared to the compulsory levy the bookies make towards the horse racing industry of 10% of their gross profits, you can see how massively under funded the industry is. Not that i'm justifying horse racing....i'm not!
The trainers who slaughter their greyhounds are more likely to be the trainers who are contracted to the stadiums to race BAGS (bookmakers afternoon greyhound service) greyhounds.
These are the most exploited of all racing greyhounds. They are the slowest and are bred in huge numbers to supply the 80 BAGS races every day. BAGS meetings are not a social event, they are purely organised to be televised to the high street bookmakers shops and online betting sites. They cost £200 and these are literally 'disposable commodities'. It is because they are purely a 'unit' very little money will be invested in them. If they sustain an injury they will not be afforded vet treatment if it exceeds their value or their potential to earn that money back. Ive spoken to trainers who say, its cheaper to get rid (not by humane euthanasia at £80)and buy another two hundred pounder!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well the offer stands, if anyone can prove who owned the ex-racer greys and prove that their owners discarded them, or they were badly treated, or the owners refused to make any provision for them, I will gladly name and shame them on my website for all to see.
Here you go :

http://www.tiagreyhounds.org.uk/wall.htm
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
My request was examples of things they have personally seen not media stories!

Those are documented cases including where legal action was involved. Do you not think those images are real nor the reports that go with them ? Seriously ?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
That was part of my point Snorri, ban greyhound racing and something else will take over, it is human nature. Instead of banning it, tighter control is needed so that there are less greyhounds going down the wrong track. I hope your leg is better this morning
There is not enough levy paid by the bookmakers to ensure tighter controls..........
BAN IT!
and lets have some fun on the virtual greyhound racing
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Iain....sorry, I'm not picking on you but.......
Trainers/owners are in the business to make money....why else would they want to own a greyhound and keep it in a kennel?
There is money in the industry, huge money. Over 2 billion pounds are gambled on greyhounds every year and in return the bookmakers pay a voluntary levy of 0.6% of their gross profits back into the industry. This amounted to a dismal 11 million quid for 2008. Compared to the compulsory levy the bookies make towards the horse racing industry of 10% of their gross profits, you can see how massively under funded the industry is. Not that i'm justifying horse racing....i'm not!
The trainers who slaughter their greyhounds are more likely to be the trainers who are contracted to the stadiums to race BAGS (bookmakers afternoon greyhound service) greyhounds.
These are the most exploited of all racing greyhounds. They are the slowest and are bred in huge numbers to supply the 80 BAGS races every day. BAGS meetings are not a social event, they are purely organised to be televised to the high street bookmakers shops and online betting sites. They cost £200 and these are literally 'disposable commodities'. It is because they are purely a 'unit' very little money will be invested in them. If they sustain an injury they will not be afforded vet treatment if it exceeds their value or their potential to earn that money back. Ive spoken to trainers who say, its cheaper to get rid (not by humane euthanasia at £80)and buy another two hundred pounder!

There is money in gambling, that I agree!

Dogs aren't bred purely for BAGS meetings, however I agree BAGS meetings are there for the bookies, and those that wish to gamble!

If you have spoken to trainers that claim to get rid of dogs, what have you done about them?

Please find me an average owner who has made money out of owning a racing greyhound! And find me a trainer that has made a lot of money! Some of the successful ones will be very comfortable but very few would be rich. Most trainers start out by mucking out the kennels, there are much easier ways to make money! There are a large amount of owners that would love to take their greyhound home to train it rather than keep it in kennels all day, but to protect other breeds and species of animal it is against the law for them to be able to do this.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
There is not enough levy paid by the bookmakers to ensure tighter controls..........
BAN IT!
and lets have some fun on the virtual greyhound racing
You wouldn't have virtual raciong for long Most have come from previous races : D

There is only one reason why I don't want to see it banned, and that is because I love what a greyhound is, and in the pathetic world we live in today, the greyhound as we know it would die out!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:46 PM
The betting/money element should be abolished. Races should be for the enjoyment the dogs have and for the enjoyment of watching them and the thrill of winning of course. It is the money element that makes it as it is. It should be conducted as a more canine based activity than a people centred one, like breed shows. How many vans do you see out the back of Crufts waiting to shoot the loosers?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
The betting/money element should be abolished. Races should be for the enjoyment the dogs have and for the enjoyment of watching them and the thrill of winning of course. It is the money element that makes it as it is. It should be conducted as a more canine based activity than a people centred one, like breed shows. How many vans do you see out the back of Crufts waiting to shoot the loosers?

Or at Agility competitions, or Flyball, or Obedience, or Dock Dogs, or Heelwork To Music competitions...

Excellent post Random.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Or at Agility competitions, or Flyball, or Obedience, or Dock Dogs, or Heelwork To Music competitions...

Excellent post Random.
Exactly Patch, it could so easily be made into another doggy sport as those mentioned but at the moment it isn't, it's a human one.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Jackbox
Yes I can see horse racing abolished……………I was there peacefully protesting at Cheltenham nearly two weeks ago in fact.
I do believe two horses died that same day as well
Page 7 of 157 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 57 107 > Last »