View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-10-2013, 06:49 PM

What do you think about electric shock collars?

Many of us have been on Dogsey for years - and if there's one topic that has gotten very heated, it is shock collars!

Have your views changed much over the years? Did you used to think they were ok and now don't? Perhaps your views have flipped the other way?

Do you support a ban? Do you think they should be made illegal?

What do YOU think about electric shock collars..
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I think they should be banned everywhere. However I got the impression on another thread that you might ban the discussion of them altogether soon?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I think they should be banned everywhere. However I got the impression on another thread that you might ban the discussion of them altogether soon?
We have a partial ban on them - in that they cannot be discussed in a thread unless specifically mentioned in the first post.

That way we do not censor the topic itself, and it prevents people from promoting them in every single training or behaviour thread they think they can get their wares into
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2013, 07:48 PM
What do I think of them? I had never come across them until I joined Dogsey - innocent dog breeder of old that I was and now just a pet dog owner. I had never heard of Cesar Milan either. But I read and I learned and when I was looking for a certain product for my dog and was given an Israeli website that sold that product, when I looked through it and saw that they sold not only electric shock collars but also prong collars and other such items of cruelty, I contacted the site owner and let him know how I felt.

His comment? But people want to buy them so I sell them. My comment? Well you will never get me as a customer then.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I too hadn't ever heard of CM until I joined Dogsey Malka.

And now I see him everywhere on the Animal Planet progs and even on some Nat Geo ones! He is everywhere!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

24-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Even though I was really annoyed that my satellite company stopped showing Animal Planet and added yet another National Graphical channel in place of it, I am oh so glad that I am unable to watch CM. I saw more than enough from links that were posted on Dogsey.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2013, 07:57 PM
My opinion of e-collars - they are NOT shock collars, they do not deliver an electric shock - is that in very extreme cases they have their place.

BUT ... and this is an extremely large but ... it is horses for courses, and not only that, you either need to do very thorough research before even attempting to use one on your dog, or ... preferably ... you need to consult someone who is thoroughly conversant with e-collars.

There is one thing that I have learned above everything else when working with dogs and horses ... and that is never to say never ... you always have to keep an open mind and be prepared to step outside the box, outside your comfort zone in order to help an animal that is crying out to be helped. And sometimes to help an animal in distress, and I include us humans in that phrase, you need to step outside your comfort zone.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2013, 09:11 AM
They may have their place like other "negative" techniques, the biggest problem is that these and other products like them are sold and promoted to people who haven't got a clue how to use them, they are bought as an easy option.

The people who sell them don't tell the owners to seek professional help or that some things can take years to sort out and like anything that requires real skill it can become downright dangerous in the wrong hands and those hands then end up with dogs that are completely traumatised.

So yes if I could I would ban them, I would rather no-one had them than have them in the hands of the thousands of people who would (albeit unknowingly) misuse them.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2013, 09:16 AM
They should be banned. They're like a weapon, normal people aren't allowed to walk around with stuff like tasers and pepper spray, so why on earth should we be allowed to put a shock collar on a dog!!!
I cannot see at all why someone would like to use them, to me that's downright cruel. And since cruelty to animals is illegal in this country, shock collars should be too!
I welcome a ban on talking about them unless it's to discuss how dangerous they are or to list the reasons why they're a bad training tool.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-10-2013, 09:24 AM
I can think of a few humans I would like to use them on...

...especially those who throw stones at my dog.
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »