Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Can Dogs "go off" food?

As the title says!

Ben has been fed on dried Beta chicken and rice for as long as I can remember, it gives him a great coat and his poo is easy to pick up and he has rarely had any tummy probs.

He has sometimes played about with the bowl tryingto bury it under his bed

Like this

But lately he seems to have no interest in his biscuits at all, he will eat treats and he will eventually eat the biscuits but we are now ion day 3 of the same bowl. He was at vets last week for a general check up and his teeth etc were checked and all is well (or at least was last week) but he is happy in him self is eating anything else offered to him includiing other hard items such as bonio and dentastix. (I am not overloading on treats to compensate for no biscuits though)

So has he just decided he would like other food and should I persevere or try miixing it with a different food?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:51 AM
They can and do go off certain foods, but if it's not in his nature to do that, maybe have him back at the vets for bloods etc. to make sure there's nothing else going on. I don't worry if Rio stops eating, it's something she does, but if Dan doesn't eat he's definitely poorly.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:54 AM
I wonder if it is something wrong with the particular batch of food you have. Is is possible that it could have got damp or is out of date...something like that?

As he normally eats it no problem, personally I wouldn't force him to eat it now, but then perhaps I'm a little soft...its just when they do this, I kind of think they know something about the food that I don't.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
They can and do go off certain foods, but if it's not in his nature to do that, maybe have him back at the vets for bloods etc. to make sure there's nothing else going on. I don't worry if Rio stops eating, it's something she does, but if Dan doesn't eat he's definitely poorly.
Thanks - I think I will give the vets a call but he is quite a fussy eater normally like he plays about with it and sometimes it has to be lifted and put away 2 or 3 times and then eventually he will eat it sometimes at 10 or 11pm

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I wonder if it is something wrong with the particular batch of food you have. Is is possible that it could have got damp or is out of date...something like that?

As he normally eats it no problem, personally I wouldn't force him to eat it now, but then perhaps I'm a little soft...its just when they do this, I kind of think they know something about the food that I don't.
Thanks Hali, I did wonder that it couldn't have got damp here but thats not to say it didn't before it got here! He has always been a bit of a plaster when it comes to his food he doesn't ever mooch from us but will eat human food if he is offered some but dog food well thats another story! But he has never left it this long He is currently asleep on the sofa nd the bowl of biscuits is directly below him
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Tilly is well know for being a total fuss pot. We'll find a food that she loves then after a few months, she decides...nah! Dont want that anymore! We've been on the same food for about 6 months now and she's still eating it but Im sure she'll have a change of heart and demand something else soon!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:57 AM
If he is a fussy eater, he is being fussy, so remove all other sources of food and offer it to him, if he does not eat it, remove and feed nothing till the next meal.

If you are anxious about his appetite so will he be!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If he is a fussy eater, he is being fussy, so remove all other sources of food and offer it to him, if he does not eat it, remove and feed nothing till the next meal.

If you are anxious about his appetite so will he be!
Not every dog is a text bOok case regarding feeding
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I had a young dog go off his food. He became very slow at eating it until he refused it. I changed to a different brand and he's never looked back.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Benzmum - you could try soaking some of his food to see if that helps. Or you could try adding wee bit - couple dessertsp of tinned dog food mixed well through the kibble with small amount of water about an hour before feeding - sometimes they do get bored

If he hasnt ate for 3 days i would be inclined to give the vet a ring especially if he is usually a good feeder. Might be something simple like upset tum.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:24 AM
99% are though, and in the world of training (and most other things) we work on probabilities, one you have ruled out what is PROBABLE, you then go on to explore wha is POSSIBLE.

It is the Pareto Principle.........
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >