Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Buying a dog for your hobby

Just thinking out loud here, interested in everyones views

Personaly I think if someone has to work their dog, or has an assistance dog or something then they NEED a dog to do the job they need doing
They need to find a dog bred to be able to do the job, and if the dog for whatever reason cannot do the job then they need another dog - and possibly (sadly) may have to pass on that dog

But what about for a hobby?
I know people who have got dogs for their hobby, the dogs have been unable to do the hobby, but they loved the dogs and found a new hobby
I also know people who have passed on dogs because they were unable to do the hobby
and I know people who get a dog then fall into the hobby as something fun to do with their dog

So I guess my questions are

Should you get a dog just to do a hobby with?
What happens if the dog grows up unable to do the hobby? Is it OK to pass them on to someone else?
Does it matter what the hobby is?
Should dogs be bred just to do a hobby? - pedigree dogs? crossbreeds?

I have a whole lot of conflicting ideas on this one, be interested to hear what you all think
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:09 PM
well, IMHO dogs are a hobby!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Should you get a dog just to do a hobby with?
What happens if the dog grows up unable to do the hobby? Is it OK to pass them on to someone else?
Does it matter what the hobby is?
Should dogs be bred just to do a hobby? - pedigree dogs? crossbreeds?

1 I am not sure where the word "should" comes in? If you want to participate in BMX competitions, surely you buy the tool for the job? If you buy a horse to compete in World Class Dressage/ShowJumping/Eventing, surely you buy an animal that is capable of this?

2 A dog that cannot perform your chosen task is often better off in a pet home with a person who loves it for a pet, than remaining with the original owner who may grow to resent it, not spend time with it or even it being relegated to kennels etc IMHO

Interestingly enough nobody seems to have a problem in selling on a horse that is too much for them or does not come up to scratch.

3 I am not sure why what the hobby was would be an issue? perhaps you have something in mind?

4 In the beginning ALL dogs were bred to fulfil a function; that is how we have dogs that are bred to herd, guard, bring home food for the pot etc. In countries where pets are a luxury and animals are tools, this is still the case and in other countries where they are both, unlike the UK, those breeds are TESTED to see if they can fulfil that function BEFORE being registered with their Kennel Club or equivalent.

I can see no reason why dogs should NOT be bred for a hobby, both mine were bred for specific functions and bought as competition dogs. They are also pets too and none of my dogs have been discarded when they have retired or had injury, but that is my personal choice.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:20 PM
I got Karma and Mydus for my 'hobby' - showing. Karma has never made the ring as she grew slightly to big..Nearly 3 years later she is still here because I love her, and although when picking a puppy I wanted one that could share my hobby I also wanted a family pet to, a dog that I could share my life with. Mydus so far is showing promising signs of being just what I wanted and has his first show booked for just over a week away - he is a great lad to share my home with, he is so friendly and out going and on top of that is a nice example of the breed - so I can only be on to a winner with him..If he doesnt like the ring, or for what ever reason cant be shown he will also remain as my pet, hes not a showing 'project' he is already a much loved family member - my feelings cant change towards a dog, because I cant show it.

Although I personally couldnt pass dogs on for not making the grade I can understand, and almost accept them that take it more seriously in what ever area do sometimes let dogs go who dont like the activity or didnt meet the standard set for that - as long as that dog goes on to a nice family home where tis going to be well treated, and looked after - I see no problem with it.. I may do a few shows a year, so the dogs I leave at home with someone for a few hours, dont miss out on alot - most of the time I cant do shows to far away or which would mean me staying away for the night as I have other dogs to get home for...but you will find some people who compete are away alot of week ends, having to leave dogs who are not able to attend. Many people may find it fairer to rehome the dogs that cant attend to someone that will have more time to spend with the animal. It doesnt mean they never loved the dog in the first place, but as long as the dogs best interests is what is at heart I personally see no problem.

I have always been of the opinion that their should be an aim within a litter, it should be bred for a purpose. So that would be showing, working, agility ect.. These are classed as hobbies I take it - so NO I do not feel it wrong to breed for a purpose, to for fill a hobby as long as its done in an ethical, responsible way with the dogs and puppies welfare being just as important. My feelings on cross breeding have been mentioned enough, so I wont mention that again.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:21 PM
FWIW.

My next dog will be worked (whether we go for something from the Gundog group or Working) and I will be buying with a view for the dog to fulfill the requirement of having working ability, and the ability to be a pet.

I have no problem with people x'ing breeds for their chosen sport, so long as the off spring are homed correctly. In the horse work x's are constantly being done, and the animals are rehomed for a whole host of reasons ( wrong sport, too big/small, over horsed etc) No different
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Imo, you have to get the right tool for the job. I traded in my much loved horse for a bigger one who liked jumping coz that's what you do in the horse world, so it must be the same in the dog world, although I have no interest in hobbies with dogs, purely because I did all that with my horses over many years. I could never have done what I did though, until I found the perfect home for my old horse, but when it comes to my dogs, that's a whole different ball game because of the fact that they live here at home with us, they're part of the family and trading them in just wouldn't be an option for me.

I suppose there's a lot of policeman who might be in this position, having to lose a much loved dog just because he didn't do his job properly, so they gave him another one It HAS to be though, if you want to enjoy any dog sport/hobby, you've got to get the right dog for the job otherwise it's pointless isn't it.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:28 PM
In my humble opinion, if your dedication to a sport comes before the love you have for your dog, you need to sort your priorities out! I can understand better why it is the case with horses, they are so much more expensive to keep and don't live in the house with you, but I can't fathom why anyone would go out and get a dog, train it, love it, form a bond with it, and then pass it along because it's not good enough/doesn't like the activity/whatever. Makes no sense to me.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
In my humble opinion, if your dedication to a sport comes before the love you have for your dog, you need to sort your priorities out! I can understand better why it is the case with horses, they are so much more expensive to keep and don't live in the house with you, but I can't fathom why anyone would go out and get a dog, train it, love it, form a bond with it, and then pass it along because it's not good enough/doesn't like the activity/whatever. Makes no sense to me.
With you on that Reisu.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:37 PM
yep we got Jasmine and Inca specifically for flyball and agility, and now doing comp ob with them. we started with the rotts, and got the bug so wanted more dogs, we also wanted dogs that would be faster than the bigguns
if they (rotts included) didnt enjoy the job, i wouldnt make them, but wouldnt give them up either, just find something else they enjoy!
as for cross breeding, yep Inca is kelpie x collie, so IMO an ideal sports dog. also in the US they specifically cross breed dogs for the sport, usually a combination of collie whippets and sometimes a bit of staff or other terrier thrown in, they will also buy and sell dogs that are more suited/less suited for the job
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Disagree totally, should be pets first and foremost and anything else comes as an added bonus. Also can't justify rehoming for not making whatever grade your keeping, makes me feel slightly ill frankly just as bad as breeders passing on dogs as the end of their reproductive careers!
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »