Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
There is a world of difference between a dog killing a prey animal like a rabbit, bird, etc., and another dog in it's household.

I for one could never in a million years keep a dog that had killed another one of my dogs in an aggressive manner.
but in a dogs eyes there is no difference. IMO
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
In view of some posters comments, I'd like to know why a dog killing another in it's pack (obviously for a reason) is any different or worse than a dog hunting and killing wildlife?
Was that directed at me dear? I think you need to reread what you have written and ask yourself that question!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
What is with this ''if he growls then he should be pts'' attitude lately anyway?

You can't get the perfect dog. It doesn't exist. Dogs, like people all have behaviour problems. You need to work on them and understand them, not just destroy them!
Sure, but where do you draw the line? every situation is different, but from my selfish perspective, I could not have a known killer of cats/dogs...I would be a nervous wreck every time another cat or dog entered the picture, and where is the fun in that? I wouldn't have a dog put down for killing a cat (although would maybe rehome -- I have three at the moment, two of which were here before my current dogs. If they hypothically killed one, would I have to rehome the other two to protect them, even though they were not the problem?), but another dog that is one of the 'pack' is a different matter altogether.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:48 AM
There is a world of difference between a dog killing a prey animal like a rabbit, bird, etc., and another dog in it's household.

I for one could never in a million years keep a dog that had killed another one of my dogs in an aggressive manner.
Why?

Would you feel the same if it was a retired grey who had killed a Papillion?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
but in a dogs eyes there is no difference. IMO
You are honestly saying that a dog does not know the difference between a rabbit and another member of it's own species? if that were the case, why haven't all our dogs turned on and killed each other?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Question avoided----and not very neatly.

What I found even worse was that pet ferrets can be thought of differently to pet cats?

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:50 AM
You are honestly saying that a dog does not know the difference between a rabbit and another member of it's own species? if that were the case, why haven't all our dogs turned on and killed each other?
Probably for the same reason my dogs don't hunt and chase rabbits!

ETA - should have put some of...Tassle (lurcher) would!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Why?

Would you feel the same if it was a retired grey who had killed a Papillion?
Yep. I would not be able to trust or live with a dog that had killed either one of my own dogs or someone elses beloved pet.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep. I would not be able to trust or live with a dog that had killed either one of my own dogs or someone elses beloved pet.
Ahh....so a beloved pet is not a dog?

The neighbours rabbit that got in the garden would count, but not the wild one in the field.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Sure, but where do you draw the line? every situation is different, but from my selfish perspective, I could not have a known killer of cats/dogs...I would be a nervous wreck every time another cat or dog entered the picture, and where is the fun in that? I wouldn't have a dog put down for killing a cat (although would maybe rehome -- I have three at the moment, two of which were here before my current dogs. If they hypothically killed one, would I have to rehome the other two to protect them, even though they were not the problem?), but another dog that is one of the 'pack' is a different matter altogether.
So you don't regard your cats as pack members and it is not good if they get killed but not a hanging offence?

rune
Page 2 of 56 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 > Last »