View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I agree. It is irresponsible IMO. Having witnessed two separate greyhound attacks on small dogs (one a toy poodle, one a Yorkie) led me to believe that when in prey/chase mode, dogs make mistakes. Mistakes that can be fatal for the victim animal. The two separate greyhound incidents I have witnesses have been when the dogs were off lead and unmuzzled. So I don't buy that dogs know the difference between a cat, small dog, rabbit or rodent in that situation. They chase first and ask questions later.
Excellent point

Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
You'd have thought the cat would have more sense than to come in the in garden with dogs there anyway, cats are treated as wild animals in the law as they can't be kept from wandering. If the cat keeps coming in the garden when it knows dogs are there then it knows it will get chased then thats the risk it takes imo.
I put my dog on a lead because obviously its not the done thing to let your dog kill another ! She doesn't get the chance to chase anything inappropriate as you put it. My dog is spayed but no i would not allow her to mate if she wasn't

Actually - to answer your question yes i have had to take my neighbours dead cat round to her house after my cat killed in in MY garden - satisfied ???? have you ? incidentally i do not encourage my dog to chase cats !
Yes I have and I felt awful but I didn’t think the cat should have had more sense and known there was a dog there, its their natural instinct to wander, also some cats do live with dogs and don’t seem to realise that not all dogs are going to be fine with them – it was a very sad accident and one I would avoid if at all possible, although like you I do not have mine muzzled in the garden but do on walks – you never know when a hidden cat can suddenly dash out – one snap and its gone.

I do feel though especially with greys encouraging them to chase rabbits but not cats can give very mixed messages

Originally Posted by stunt monkey View Post
i wouldnt want my dogs to kill a cat,but nor do i want cats in my garden like i said we had a rabbit and a guinea pig and if it wasnt for our dearly departed lab jess then the cats would have killed them(they tried to get into the hutch many times)i understand that you dont like dogs to hunt and kill but you have an animal and nobody can stop their natural animal instincts 100% would any dog let a cat chew its bone in the garden i dont think so.IMHO.
But why did you have a problem with cats following their natural instincts but actively encourage your dogs to chase cats?

Again then do you stop your dogs from following any of their natural instincts or stop some of them and encourage others?

Surely its also not exactly a natural instinct or behaviour for a rabbit to live in a hutch.

Originally Posted by stunt monkey View Post
my dogs are chasing cats out of MY garden i do not let them roam the area looking for cats,i know people who have had cats kill their koi carp, a farmer friend of mine has a big problem with cats killing his baby pheasants cats are qouted as being the "perfect killers" in the animal world.i am sure that cats kill more animals domestic and wild than dogs ever will.
But why is it a problem for cats to do what its their natural instinct to do – ie kill fish, your rabbits etc but its fine for a dog?

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think the original topic was about letting a dog obey its instincts. In fact, dogs have had these instincts shaped by us over hundreds of years. A gundog has been bred to be soft enough to give up the game, not eat it. So to stop a gundog breed killing, you train it.
Other breeds have different traits bred into them, so need different handling. My Hound is not let off lead around game. His instincts and breeding over-ride any training when a prey is in sight.
Dogs are predators and carnivores, so it is normal for them to chase and kill. In their eyes they are not doing wrong. It is our morals that are outraged at the sight of a dog killing an animal because we are so protected from the more brutal side of nature. Maybe if we had to slaughter our own cattle we would feel differently?
I stop my dogs from following their natural instincts for their own safety and the safety of other animals.

I assume that GK has perfect recall with her grey – something Ive not yet achieved with many of mine and so I don’t let them hunt especially a hare or deer which could run for miles.

Nope I think I would feel just the same if I had to watch any animal slaughtered it certainly would not make me think it was fine for my dogs to go ahead and kill a rabbit, cat, hare or whatever.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 04:48 PM
As i said on the other thread NO COMMENT its getting ruddy ridiculous !
spot
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2009, 04:55 PM
As i said on the other thread NO COMMENT its getting ruddy ridiculous !
But this has nothing to do with any other thread its about prey drive which is strong in greyhounds as you know yourself and as a fellow greyhound lover I thought it was an interesting debate as to how some differ in their opinions and what they allow their dogs to do ie hunt rabbits.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 05:03 PM
My grey is actually really good around all dogs big and small but i do put her on a lead if i see a small dog just in case.

Depends on your point of view as to whether or not a natural instinct in an animal is cruel - its mother nature at the end of the day. Of course as well the case of ex racing greyhounds its all they know and thats what they've been trained to do so its an even stronger instinct in them.

I haven't got a problem with my dog catching rabbits - she hasn't actually managed it yet anyway in fact she usually comes off worse. last time she chased she ended up in a bramble patch.

What i was trying to say in the case of badgers etc is that they hunt prey so whats the difference when a dog does it, its still instinct albeit not for food.
Thats what people were trying to say to you on the other thread!!

I see its appropriate for your dog to chase Rabbits, why is that? I dont think its "appropriate for mine to do that, why should yours?

You'd have thought the cat would have more sense than to come in the in garden with dogs there anyway, cats are treated as wild animals in the law as they can't be kept from wandering. If the cat keeps coming in the garden when it knows dogs are there then it knows it will get chased then thats the risk it takes imo.
Thats a classic, you'd of thought the Cat would of had more sense!!! PLEASE!!!! Its a Cat!! You'd of thought your dog would of had more sense not chasing it in the first place her "mommy" didnt want her to! See my point, human characteristics!!

I put my dog on a lead because obviously its not the done thing to let your dog kill another ! She doesn't get the chance to chase anything inappropriate as you put it. My dog is spayed but no i would not allow her to mate if she wasn't

Actually - to answer your question yes i have had to take my neighbours dead cat round to her house after my cat killed in in MY garden - satisfied ???? have you ? incidentally i do not encourage my dog to chase cats !
Satisfied? Disgusted more like. But only because of the way you spoke of the Staff that was acting like a dog, just like your Grey.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Oh wind your neck in and get a life for gods sake its not mother nature for dog to kill another dog imo,
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Oh wind your neck in and get a life for gods sake its not mother nature for dog to kill another dog imo,
Oh dear, more abuse, typical typical.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:25 PM
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Hang on, what thread am I on here?????*scratches head in confusion* The same stuff was being discussed on another thread. What's happening, I think I've lost my way
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I`m not saying it is fine for a dog to hunt and kill (I am anti bloodsports as it happens) - I`m saying that the dog doesn`t see it as `wrong`. If we lived as hunter-gatherers we would encourage the dog to hunt and kill for us. As it is, they (and us in my opinion) are living in a highly artificial society where some animals are `pets` and some are food or vermin. We stop a dog killing for the same reason we house-train it - because it offends us.
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-05-2009, 09:34 PM
the rabbit had a run in the garden i cant see a problem with that,i have a right to keep cats out of my garden,if i wanted cats in there i would buy 1 but i dont,yes it is nature for a cat to kill fish birds etc but i do not want it in my garden i dont honestly believe that a dog that chases and kills rabbits is doing anything wrong IN THE PROPER ENVIROMENT such as farms smallholdings etc .our old lab would chase rabbits in the fields and also cats in the garden but would let our rabbit walk right by it ,you have your opinion on dogs i have mine idont want my dogs to kill rabbits or cats but i do want them to chase cats out of my garden and i can see no harm in my dogs chasing a rabbit across the fields,nature is not for the squeemish sometimes but nearly all dog breeds were originally breed to do a specific job retrievers fetch, greyhounds chase, bloodhounds track the list goes on and on without the talents these dogs have we wouldnt be the nation of dog lovers that we are.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >