Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 08:48 PM

Best way to 'finish off' a rabbit

Sorry, wasn't sure the best place to post this, but I thought those with working dogs may have more experience. Its something that has really been playing on my mind. Those that are squeemish, please don't read.

3 times in recent months I've been in the position of having a very poorly wild rabbit to deal with.

the first one had been got by something - I suspect been dropped by a bird of prey. It was ripped in several places and all but dead. There was a very large rock nearby and I picked this up and smashed it over the head.

The 2nd, Stumpy brought me....very pleased with herself, she dropped it at my feet. there was not a mark on it, but luckily for me (not for the rabbit) it died almost immediately on her dropping it, presumably from shock.

Today was the most unpleasant. Stumpy again presented me with a rabbit. I know she didn't chase her, because I'd been watching and she literally just went over and picked it up. It was still alive but evidently suffering badly from mixy.

Now this is where I lost my bottle. There was nothing handy for me to hit it with and I really didn't want to leave Stumpy to deal with it as I don't want her to kill...she left it the minute I told her to.

But when it comes to it again, what is the most humane way to kill a very sick rabbit assuming that you have no 'weapons' with you?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 08:50 PM
The only thing I can think of is twisting it's neck to break it. Apart from suffocation, that's the only one I can come up with.

x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I was told by a gamekeeper, that the proper way to do it, is to have one hand behind the ears, with your hand facing it's head, then a quick "yank" with the other hand on it's back legs This is the quickest, kindest way, he told me, coz it breaks the spinal cord instantly and probably the neck at the same time, but thank God I've never had to do it, and probably couldn't! That's the propery way though, or so I've been told!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 11:21 PM
When Pharaoh was younger, I had to face this more than once. He was fast enough to catch them, but not mature enough to kill them. The game warden of our usual rabbity field showed me a very good way to deal with them in the end, but you do need to have a certain lack of squeam... You take the rabbit behind the head, ears resting over your palm, facing outwards... Then sharply flick your wrist. It took me a couple of times to get it right, but there is a sort of click and they are gone... I always left the body on the field for the foxes.

Kindest thing to do for the mixy rabbits really.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Well done Hali for asking the question, because it's important to know how to dispatch suffering animals efficiently.

Normally I use the method that others have described.

Hold the back legs in one hand and grasp the neck with the other hand, with the palm facing the head and the thumb and forefinger forming a circle round the neck. Then pull up with the legs and at the same time lever neck down and the chin up.

If the myxy is very far advanced and you just can't bear to touch the head you could hold the legs in one hand and use your foot against the back of the neck. I know that sounds very disrespectful to the rabbit - I agree it does - but it is not our own feelings that are important here and it is a quick end for the rabbit.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I hate having to deal with dying rabbits and we seem to have quite a few with myxy up here just now I always let my dogs kill them - they are pretty quick and efficient. If you don't want your dogs to finish them off though, the method described by Helen, Magpye and Redcollar is the best way.

What I have seen an unusual amount of this year are stoats either killing rabbits - or rabbits already killed by stoats. The gamekeepers must be on holiday
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 11:42 AM
breaking its neck.. but its not really that easy.. and it is if you know what I mean.. I have had to do it with loads... I have found the best way is to get a good grip... twist and slightly pull up at the same time. kinda like the twist and flick magpye mentioned..

Dougie is useless at it.. so doesnt do it now.. if you dont do it right... its really horrid..

if your going to do it,... dont go at it all ittty bitty.. be very positive..
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
I know that sounds very disrespectful to the rabbit - I agree it does - but it is not our own feelings that are important here and it is a quick end for the rabbit.
Redcollar is absolutely bang on here IMO and is the way i was taught by a game keeper.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
Redcollar is absolutely bang on here IMO and is the way i was taught by a game keeper.
I agree as well, also if you are not sure about the other method this is a better way to do it ensure a quick death.

My brother in law still has the 'dispatch' the rabbits when we go working as i'm still not sure i would be as quick as him!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Thank you for all your advice - I hope I don't have to put it into practice, but am pretty sure I will at some stage

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I always let my dogs kill them - they are pretty quick and efficient.
What I have seen an unusual amount of this year are stoats either killing rabbits - or rabbits already killed by stoats. The gamekeepers must be on holiday
Well Stumpy is the one that catches them, but she is too cat like - she hasn't really got the kill instinct, she just wants to 'play' with it, which I think would be more cruel.

And Hoki loves to chase, but is not at all interested in actually catching them.

We used to have several stoats around, but I've not seen them for awhile. Mind you, ours never seemed to kill and leave - they would always drag them away to eat (and feed young). Perhaps if our stoats have left, that's why there's more rabbits for Stumpy to find!

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
if your going to do it,... dont go at it all ittty bitty.. be very positive..
Shona you're getting to know me well - that is exactly what I'm worried about being like; only doing half a job and making things worse. As you say, I just need to go at it positively and not freak out if I don't get it right first time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >