View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2004, 01:55 PM
aww thas so cruel! OH calls Rocky a pig sometimes but i get very Cross! Nobody is allowed to Diss my Rocky!!!!

Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Lol. Rocky doesn't look like a pig I used to get really mad about the pigger comments, but now I laugh. :smt081
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2004, 02:19 PM
lol no... sometimes he makes piggy noises! lol
good job u laff - we'd only cry otherwise eh Babs?!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Barbara

"Protection, as trained for Schutzhund requires that the dog have a reliable temperament and show courage without viciousness. It is an advanced and complex training wherein the dog must make his own decision and use his judgment."

Heaps of references if you Google Schutzhund+temperament.

Foumd some good advice on training tracking, will see if I can find it again and pass it on to you.
Sammy
Dogsey Junior

19-05-2004, 01:52 PM
I think it is the bomb
protectionk9uk
New Member!

29-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I am a big fan of working dogs but I certainly don't think that everyone who owns a GSD (for example) should train it in Schutzhund. I do think,however,that if you are breeding a working breed they should be capable of working if required.
Schutzhund is a dog sport not a guard dog training programme so it is true to say that you could have a dog who is a good Schutzhund dog but not a family protector. This is for several reasons - firstly in Schutzhund the dog is focused on the sleeve and only bites that sleeve on the training field,and once it is trained only bites the sleeve at a particular time in the routine which it learns (unlike working trials PD or Mondio where things change from trial to trial Schutzhund always follows the same set routine). Also, dogs in Schutzhund are selected for prey drive (the desire to chase moving objects ,to hunt the sleeve) whereas if you were choosing a dog to protect you you would want far more defence drive (a desire to fight an intruder to protect yourself & the "pack").
Protection training and/or Schutzhund are fine for the right dog with the right handler and the right trainer. Contrary to misguided opinion Schutzhund/Protection training does not create vicious or uncontrollable dogs....idiots do that,very easily without going to a Schutzhund club (they would be kicked out anyway if they didn't get bored training hours of obedience without getting near a sleeve)
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2004, 03:36 PM
I love working dogs, especially the protection breeds, but as everyone has said before me, you cannot say "oh, protection breed, must do protection training". With the right dog, ther right owner and the right trainer it can be a great thing to work at, but only then.

I am working for the BH title (which you will know Protectionk9uk) with my Vallhund (hopefully we will move up to BH3 in some years), and I will get a Rottie sometime in the future as I want to get into SchH and IPO. Its very enjoyable, and its really not what most people think. The dogs have fun, they love it to bits!

And also as said before, never train man work by yourself!! It is hard, and it is tricky! I've been the "bad guy" (scary when its a Rottie hitting you at 50 miles an hour, was lifted off my feet once ), and I've helped train the dogs, from puppy to advanced. But I would never attempt it alone even now, I don't have enough experience.
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I dont think anyone who does know 110% what they are doing should even attempt to train a protection dog, apart from the fact it could backfire on them big time, i dont think it is fair on the dog in question if it isnt suitable or happy to do so. It doent mean that for example a GSD would be unhappy if it want working... we had GSD and as long as he got plenty of exercise and toys and games to stimulate him he was as content and happy as any dog could be.
I was offered a prison 'man dog' a few months ago that was about to retire, and to be honest as i know nothing about protection training, i didnt entertain the idea for long, he was a lovely dog with a lovely nature but without the knowledge behind me i thought it could become a bit of a worry!

Sorry eRaze had to laugh at the st. bernard comment, it would be like kiera trying to rescue someone drowning...the great big lolloping thing would drown someone never mind save them
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by protectionk9uk
I am a big fan of working dogs but I certainly don't think that everyone who owns a GSD (for example) should train it in Schutzhund. I do think,however,that if you are breeding a working breed they should be capable of working if required.
Schutzhund is a dog sport not a guard dog training programme so it is true to say that you could have a dog who is a good Schutzhund dog but not a family protector. This is for several reasons - firstly in Schutzhund the dog is focused on the sleeve and only bites that sleeve on the training field,and once it is trained only bites the sleeve at a particular time in the routine which it learns (unlike working trials PD or Mondio where things change from trial to trial Schutzhund always follows the same set routine). Also, dogs in Schutzhund are selected for prey drive (the desire to chase moving objects ,to hunt the sleeve) whereas if you were choosing a dog to protect you you would want far more defence drive (a desire to fight an intruder to protect yourself & the "pack").
Protection training and/or Schutzhund are fine for the right dog with the right handler and the right trainer. Contrary to misguided opinion Schutzhund/Protection training does not create vicious or uncontrollable dogs....idiots do that,very easily without going to a Schutzhund club (they would be kicked out anyway if they didn't get bored training hours of obedience without getting near a sleeve)
I dont live so far away from you, i would love to come and watch you train, if you ever allow people to do so.
protectionk9uk
New Member!

29-10-2004, 06:09 PM
I would have no problem with someone watching me training but right now I am between dogs...my GSD is almost 11 and too old....still looking for a new working dog.
You can keep an eye on the Events section of the British Schutzhund Association website - they have a Helper Liscencing event next month or contact one of the clubs to see if they will let you watch training - most are very friendly.
http://www.schutzhund.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >