View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which brand to pick?
Nutro Choice 5 55.56%
Hill's Science Plan Nature's Best 2 22.22%
Royal Canin Labrador Retriever 30 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2004, 10:40 AM
You do not have to feed bones! Mine are fed raw, minus bones as I have had experience of a dog choking &amp; bloating on a bone - never again.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2004, 05:37 PM
How do you feed without bones? I mean arent't here things in the bones they need?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2004, 08:20 PM
I would choose the Nutro but there doesn't look much in it between the three really. The protein in the Royal Canin seems a little high...Is Luna a puppy? as that is the approximate highest amount for a pup and adults don't need as much unless they are working and need extra than usual.

I would still say, which ever Luna prefers really though!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2004, 08:28 PM
I would say they need the calcium and phosphate (however you spell it!) but I guess that can be suplimented. The other way to give bones would be to grind them, but I don't know how you would do that?

I'm with you on this one though Bell, I would be to worried about getting the right balance of vitamins and minerals with feeding raw.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2004, 08:29 PM
I would say they need the calcium and phosphate (however you spell it!) but I guess that can be suplimented. The other way to give bones would be to grind them, but I don't know how you would do that?

I'm with you on this one though Bell, I would be to worried about getting the right balance of vitamins and minerals with feeding raw.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi Mys

Thanks for voting. No Luna is not a puppy, well sort of.... in her mind she's a puppy but she's turning 1½ year old on october 5.

Would you feed Large Breed food for an adult labrador?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Rather than feeding whole bones I give chopped up chicken/turkey necks, also chicken mince which includes ground frames (butcher does this). Main meat is raw lamb &amp; occasionally beef or wallaby. They also have a vitamin/mineral supplement, kelp, flaxseed oil, eggs (including shells), tuna, sardines, yoghurt, cheese, offal, vegetables, fruit, leftover cooked meat &amp; veg., salt &amp; sugar-free wheatbix-type biscuits, pasta. They get hard biscuits to chew (4x2's), and they chew rope &amp; rubber toys etc. which help keep teeth clean. All food, including meat, is human grade.

The idea is to feed a balanced diet over a period of days. Their diet is not perfectly balanced EVERY day, any more than ours is.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2004, 10:49 AM
I dont feed bones either - Libby had to be taken to the vets once as she couldnt pass one through

Although they do get a huge marrowbone to gnaw on once a week
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Oh wow SB. I'm just scared I'll lose control.

Lel: Yeah I remember u writing about it!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 11:01 PM
I would think of feeding large breed food to a puppy who will be over 26kg as an adult. But I'm not sure if it is necessary to feed an adult dog large breed food? I still have that to work out when Keena gets older!

What I would think would be, once you are settled and happy with a particular brand of food for your dog see what they suggest within their range and what choice you have available.

It can all be confusing though can't it.

I wonder why my posts are sometimes appearing twice. I am sorry that they have though
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >