View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-06-2007, 07:47 AM
He suggested to turn away from the dog and lowering your shoulders. from personel experience i know that it is dangerous. For one you loose you're dog out of sight. I had to do it once in order to protect an injurie. The result was a second injurie.

Another excemple of his capacities. A few months ago there was a reality show on tv called superdog. (winner was an english bulldog who's gratest capacaty are his expressions) One of the dogs participating was dog agressive. It took 5 attacks on another dog befor there was an intervention from Geert who was the resident trainer. Comment of the winner, concerning the late response, was that it was the first attack where he was present. Any sencible trainer would have asked the producers the footage of the first attack, analysed it and took the cullpit(s) seperate in order to solve the problem. According to the winner this didn't happen. And for us using positive training. Here is a thought. Do you realy think that getting a dog to go trough fire scale a wall and bite a decoy can be done by kicking him in the a**. There is more possitive training and praise in our type of training than you think.

Greetings

Johan
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks, it's hard for me to comment really as I don't know the situation, only thing I can say is that maybe with another dog (the 1%?) he would suggest something different, as for the show, again hard to comment. No-one's perfect, I only know what I know if you see what i mean

I'm sure there's lots of positive reinforcement going on, however the tradition has tended to be towards dominance training, etc. Not getting at you anyway Johan, just chatting

Wys
x
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2007, 06:52 PM
What gets me is people who think they are better than everyone else, who no matter what others say, dismiss it as being second rate, its their way or nothing.
to be a good dog trainer is to listen to views to adapt to differnt technics and to never close your mind to others methods.
I train my dogs for survival whether its to detect explosives or bring down an armed suspect, not to win trophies or competions, I am not getting at the sport dog world, some of their dogs are far superior in finishing touches and polish,and at taking the man at three feet from the ground at break neck speed, but some times this over rides the work, dangerous work that a police dog carries out everyday
I rely on my dog for my safety as he does for me, not to score a higher mark but to keep people alive.
So to people out there who look down on people or their methods from their perfect world, I hope the day never comes when a second rate police dog needs to help you.

My dog is my partner my guardian.
appoligies for my rave
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by 5dog View Post
We do it much the same way the dog comes off because he knows that he gets a rea bite and a fight/play.
if he doesnt come off then the decoy remains still and the dog gets no fun as soon as he releases rea bite and a fight, again. the dog soon learns to come off on command to get its reward. It also takes the dogs desire to be possessive with the sleeve away, as he only gets the enjoyment from it when hes ragging with the decoy.
This method has worked on a few problem dogs we have had who have been monsters with possessive problems

A few questions:

a: what if the greatest fetish object for the dog is the decoy. I know dogs that will hang on untill they fall a sleep.
b: what do you do with a dog trained that way (sleeve is a play moment) and you meet me in a crowd. I put on a sleeve and i take your dog anywhere.

Here are 2 links to show what can be reached with an oldfashioned training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDFP_gB0KIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE96V...elated&search=

This cat 3 lowest categorie especialy look at the second video around the 3.30 minutes mark. recal within the last meter.
Dog got 368/400 and became 4th.

Greetings

Johan
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 04:15 PM

My dog is my partner my guardian.
appoligies for my rave
Rave away, it's good therapy

Wys
x
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
A few questions:

a: what if the greatest fetish object for the dog is the decoy. I know dogs that will hang on untill they fall a sleep.
b: what do you do with a dog trained that way (sleeve is a play moment) and you meet me in a crowd. I put on a sleeve and i take your dog anywhere.

Here are 2 links to show what can be reached with an oldfashioned training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDFP_gB0KIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE96V...elated&search=

This cat 3 lowest categorie especialy look at the second video around the 3.30 minutes mark. recal within the last meter.
Dog got 368/400 and became 4th.

Greetings

Johan
Greetings
If you mean a crowd like at a riot or demontration, then you would not take my dog anywhere with a sleeve on as my baton would stop you from moving anywhere as would the dogs to my left and my right, tatics are a wonderful thing.
But seriously as you probably know the dogs seem to know the difference from training and the real thing alot of the dogs that are real sleeve driven on the training field will bite the nearest object in the real world, arms legs and even the head.
Personally if you gave my own dog a sleeve he would out on command and take any part of you I pointed at.
The dogs you refer to as hanging on until they fall asleep are of use as well, passive attack or swat where the tatics mean the dog stays on until it is physically removed.
The tag and drag method where the dog is sent into a building on a long line then once it has a hold of the suspect it is dragged back outside by its handler like a tug of war

I admit I wouldnt have a recall at such a short distance as the video about ten meters would be his limit but luckily for me he outs on command at distance.
I think in a past thread you showed a video of a Mal called Enzio, did you get a chance to work with him

Al
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I think in a past thread you showed a video of a Mal called Enzio, did you get a chance to work with him

Al
Worked with no, but i followed the dog for a few months but than he was sold to Scotland where he is used as a non complaient dog.

Greetings
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-06-2007, 09:59 PM
He is with my force, I had the bite suit on for him last week, a nice dog.

We now use him working side by side with my Mal, who is a search to contact dog
My dog is sent into a building to find a suspect, he wears a camera so I can see what he sees, and Enzio is there as back up should the suspect fail to comply.
To be honest there is no difference in the two dogs biting abitlities but Enzio doesnt have to have the same amount of control as my dog does working close to a firearms raid team
It seems to work well and puts the fear of god into any suspect with two Mals barking at them.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-06-2007, 11:31 AM
It seems to work well and puts the fear of god into any suspect with two Mals barking at them.
I know even one barking like a dog with rabies a few inches from your private parts is realy impressive even with a bitesuit on. I always have to controle the urge to protect myself

Greetings

Johan

Ps yesterday i was almost bitten there by an amstaff in training. Took the bite on my hand.
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Yip same happend to me when I was working Enzio last week when he outed from the leg bite he head butted me in the stomach then bit in the groin before eventually taking my arm, not good for control but awesome for passive attack
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7