View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 12:09 PM
To be honest, I think it's a bit of everything. They have (allegedly) been unchanged from working lines, making them less suitable as pets than most breeds. So partially it's a characteristic of the breed in general.

But as with any breed, you get some dogs which are more receptive to the handler (and will out etc no matter what) and others which are more independent, almost insular - and so will continue whatever task to the dog's satisfaction, rather than the handler's. Some are very sociable and easily handled and controlled, others barely tolerate the very existence of other species. The same could be said of virtually every breed, but my general perception of this breed is that they are not for the faint-hearted or the inexperienced, and handler bites seem to come with the territory.

Being relatively uncommon in the UK, to most people mals look like small, 'dirty', unremarkable GSDs (or maybe GSD crosses) - as far as I'm concerned their 'presence deterrent' in the UK would be virtually nothing. But, generally speaking, they do hit like a small steam train, they're unafraid of anything, their bite is impressive and I can imagine them being invaluable in the real world (i.e. police versus sport). So I'm under no illusions that once they're better known here they'll become the drug-dealer's, breaker's-yard and 'ard man's choice of dog
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
Fred, have you only worked GSDs? If so, that may be the reason you've never seen a dog that comes 'back up the lead' at the handler. Malinois are notorious for that kind of behaviour, and IMO the breed is only suitable for extremely experienced handlers. They are very good protection dogs, but their drive is so high they can lapse into a sort of berserka mode. Malinois's the only breed I personally wouldn't ever handle. They're certainly not for the uninitiated!

When the dog turns on his handler, it is because he is in extremely high drive mode - I don't know of a single mal handler who isn't routinely in A&E for stitches - the breed is not designed to make a decent pet dog, and even highly trained they bite handlers.
I have to say, I'd never have a Malinois. Personally with my experience with Rotties/Dobies/GSDs/Schnauzers/and Berneses I'd be normally hard-pressed to believe that any dog thats been allowed the sleeve would turn and bite the handler. But I've seen it, and its gob-smacking.

There is a place for all protection breeds, and I'm not saying anything degredating towards Mals, but I'd much rather have a good Rottie, Dobie, or an Australian Cattle Dog, maybe a old type GSD.

Mrs. Potter it is shocking to people who don't know the procedure I've a setter myself, could never see her doing this
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 12:29 PM
But, generally speaking, they do hit like a small steam train, they're unafraid of anything, their bite is impressive and I can imagine them being invaluable in the real world (i.e. police versus sport). So I'm under no illusions that once they're better known here they'll become the drug-dealer's, breaker's-yard and 'ard man's choice of dog
Too true. And it's totally right about what Becs said about their bite, and hit. When I have the time I train as a Helper, and to date the men who train me have NEVER let me have a Mal. They say that the bite is as strong as a Rotties, and its like being hit by a cannonball. This is a breed that would be easily exploited.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 01:27 PM
I find this all very interesting, especially Archeopath's very informative posts here, but would very much like to know where these dogs come from if they are not bred in England? Would it be France then where this video comes from? I have never even heard of these dogs let alone seen any, but I did think they were strange looking g.s.d's as I assumed that was what theywere! I thought maybe the men were our s.a.s forces! I don't think I would ever fancy having one though, even if I was a drug dealer etc. far too much to handle for my liking, I'll stick to the german shepherd. Brilliant for what they do though, they love it so much they get carried away and can't stop themselves can they.
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-07-2005, 01:45 PM
So I'm under no illusions that once they're better known here they'll become the drug-dealer's, breaker's-yard and 'ard man's choice of dog
At least there dogs will porbably eat them so we'll git rid of a few unpleasant people lol

Helena they are a Belgian breed
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Helena,

Malinois is one type of Belgian Shepherd - the other three being Groenendael, Tervueren, and Laekenois (the one I can never remember! )

Brief descriptions:
Groenendael = long haired black
Tervueren = long haired, all shades of red , fawn and grey with black mask and overlay
Malinois = short haired, colour as Tervueren
Laekenois = wirehaired, reddish fawn with black shading

I'll try to find some pics for you - and put them in a separate thread

Becs
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi Helena,

Malinois is one type of Belgian Shepherd - the other three being Groenendael, Tervueren, and Laekenois (the one I can never remember! )

Brief descriptions:
Groenendael = long haired black
Tervueren = long haired, all shades of red , fawn and grey with black mask and overlay
Malinois = short haired, colour as Tervueren
Laekenois = wirehaired, reddish fawn with black shading

I'll try to find some pics for you - and put them in a separate thread

Becs
YES PLEASEEEEEEE!!
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
YES PLEASEEEEEEE!!
Here's the thread with the pictures: http://dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/belgian...eds_15740.html
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Russ
lol these dogs aren't GSD's they are Malinios

I know they aren't GSD's LOL but admittedly I didn't know what kind of breed they were so thank you for saying.

No I was just saying I love to see GSD's in action as they are more common in Britain to be used in the police force. This video looks like it's from the states or something.
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Great Vid!! I cant belive that dog jumped over the the car like it wasn't even there!!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >