Are you 1 of them in the balaclava's Becs
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Russ
Couldn't of put it better myself Becs

Are you 1 of them in the balaclava's Becs
You're kidding Russ, I'm nowhere near experienced enough to competently handle a mal
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
Nat, it may well have been me who sent you that video quite recently
Becs
Yer i know it was Becs!! im not that forgetful!
Good explaination too
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath

Carole, they are French Special Forces and their faces are covered up with balaclavas as they are training 'environmental work' in that video. In a real life situation the forces would be in this kind of uniform, complete with balaclava, so they must get the dog used to seeing, and responding, with them wearing this gear. Malinois have a tendency to become aggressive when spooked, which is no use to anyone in a real life situation.

With regard to the physical handling of the dog - yes it seems harsh to pet-owners, but the dogs aren't intentionally injured during training (or real life work). Accidents can, and do, happen to a working dog, but no good handler would deliberately hurt his dog.

Becs
thanks for explaining that
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

21-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Interesting.

One question - why do the dogs not release on command? In this sequence the handlers are pulling the dog/s off. I thought the point of a police/attack/pp/miltary/Sch. etc. dog is that it is so highly trained and under such superb control that it will 'out' on command, despite drive strength.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 10:55 AM
SB, this is one reason why I don't particularly like malinois (this is only my personal preference) - I've seen a few good mals who out correctly and without hesitation, but far more who go into overdrive. This is one of the reasons why handlers are in danger of the dog coming back up the lead at them - many mals don't appreciate being told to stop, or any kind of physical correction (e.g. being dragged off by their collar). I don't know of any dog quite like the malinois - some are brilliant, some seem to be a little 'psycho'.

Personally, I'd work a dobe, a correctly temperamented GSD or a (heavy, slow) rottie over a mal any day. I value accuracy and control over super-high drive - but then I guess I'm not a police officer in mortal danger. I'm sure many mal enthusiasts would argue the reasons in favour of a dog with this temperament and personality, but I've never been convinced. Even in play bitework with Satch, if he's sent for a bite-bar (i.e. stick) he can only go on my command and is expected to (and does) out/release immediately. Personally I don't see the point in having a dog who will turn on you when you try to out.

I've never had a mal (and never would!) so I'll ask a few friends why they like them with regard to the psycho behaviour

Becs
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

21-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the reply Becs. I have no experience of Malinois and it did seem a trifle odd given the high regard expressed (which I share) for precision trained man-work dogs.

I should be interested to know just what anyone who works with Mals finds so superior about them given their apparent temperament and what appears to be an excessively high, and difficult to control, drive.

SB
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi SB, I've just emailed a mal handler about it (the chap I mentioned in the security photo thread) and I'll ask on a protection site I'm on. The only thing I can think of it that they have an unwavering commitment to the work - once sent, they'll (literally ) fly into any situation without regard for their own safety, which I'm sure is useful and valued in real life situations (as opposed to SchH etc sport). That said, I've heard similar things said about well-bred dobes

Anyway, I'll post whatever views I get back from mal handlers

Becs
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

21-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks

Was just wondering if it is a charcteristic of the breed, a characteristic of particular lines, or a result of training methods?

I can understand the necessity for a rapid and decisive take-down in certain situations - but I sure would not like my dog to try and take my arm off afterwards
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by gordon lover
Why shocking? IMO (and experience), its all training. Those dogs are more safe to be around than most you'll meet on a walk.

Great movie.
I just hadnt seen quite so graphic videos before. Am being a wimp! They are so brave and trained to an amazing level.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »