Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peanutbutter16
New Member!
Female 

26-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Hugging Dogs to Calm them down?

Random question-

I was reading a Temple Grandin book (forgot what it was called) and about her thundershirt and how it calms dogs. I've never seen a thundershirt on a dog before but she said it works by putting pressure on the dog's body.

One time I took Luna to Persmart on a supercrowded day and she got overwhelmed by all the smells and dogs and how slippery the floor was. Got very upset. I took her to a quiet isle and wrapped my arms around her shoulders and chest. She stopped barking and jumping around all though she was still very upset (she hasn't been to petsmart since then)

Has anyone ever had any success hugging an upset dog? I can obviously see it upsetting certain dogs more but could it be a tool with very touch-tolerant dogs like Luna? She enjoys hugs at home; she will lean into me and paw me and shover her head into my neck if I stop hugging her. With dogs like that, do you think hugging or even draping a hand across their shoulders could be a helpful training tool?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Bailey my blind dog gets a lot of comfort from me touching/hugging him The other two aren't fussed but it calms Bailey down loads.

You should look into TTouch, I had a lady come out to the house, she showed me doggy massage how and where to touch him for maximum calmiong effect, body wraps and the TShirt.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2011, 11:10 PM
It's surprising how a normal tee shirt can calm a dog.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2011, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
It's surprising how a normal tee shirt can calm a dog.
Do you think it would help Pereg if I put a tee shirt on her when she is frantically post ictal?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 07:28 AM
A small word of caution - putting your face that close to an agitated dog`s teeth may be a tad risky.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

27-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
A small word of caution - putting your face that close to an agitated dog`s teeth may be a tad risky.
I know that, thanks, but once she is out of clonic she is difficult but sort of controllable if I have the strength to try and put a teeshirt on her.

Not sure if this will work but I put one on her this morning...

aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 08:14 AM
I think it depends on the situation, but I also feel it could be a bit risky if you have a very agitated dog who is no longer thinking and just wants to escape from an uncomfortable situation. Hugging when a dog is fearful could seems like a restraint to some dogs and may have the effect of making the dog more anxious and determined to escape. It could be a bit risky - unless you are confident the dog won't bite.

Edited:
Just noticed the last post and I have heard positive things about "wrapping" but have never seen it in action. I do think that stroking and touching is good.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure about doing once the dog is in a state of agitation but I used t-shirts with my Japanese chin who was a slightly nervous girl. We travelled on the tube a lot and she found it difficult in the rush hour-I bought a slightly snug fitting top for her to wear on the journey, it helped a lot.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 08:20 AM
I hug Harley when we're standing in line at training. Well, it's kind of a very loose hug where he gets one of my arms over his back, and the other is on his front tickling and stroking him. If he wanted, he could easily "escape".

The thing I find calms Harley down the most though is nice, calm, slowish, long strokes along the body (head to bum along the back), or me playing (strokey kind of fiddling) with his ears.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

27-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I think it depends on the situation, but I also feel it could be a bit risky if you have a very agitated dog who is no longer thinking and just wants to escape from an uncomfortable situation. Hugging when a dog is fearful could seems like a restraint to some dogs and may have the effect of making the dog more anxious and determined to escape. It could be a bit risky - unless you are confident the dog won't bite.
I know that once Pereg is out of a major seizure she still cannot think straight, but I also know that she is fully aware of me and what I am doing for her.

Yes, hugs are then good but only fleetingly so as her brain is totally mixed up and it appears that only the hunger part is functioning. But she is aware, and if putting a teeshirt on her will give her some form of comfort, then why not?

She is, very definitely, very difficult post ictal, but even though she will snap when she is demanding, she does not and will not snap/bite me. Yes she will grab my arm with a front paw, which hurts, but Pereg does not bite. However bad she feels, however her brain is scrambled at that time, Pereg does not and will not bite.

Life for the three or so hours after she has a seizure are sheer and utter hell for me, but somewhere in her brain Pereg seems to sense that I am trying to help her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >