Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Licensed Breeder

I have just called a farm in Bury who have pups for sale. They say they sell collies and labradors, they also said they are a licensed breeder with the council. Is this a puppy farm? The man was quite abrupt on the phone and they were trying to hush the dogs in the background.

Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by jeeves View Post
I have just called a farm in Bury who have pups for sale. They say they sell collies and labradors, they also said they are a licensed breeder with the council. Is this a puppy farm? The man was quite abrupt on the phone and they were trying to hush the dogs in the background.

Thanks
I do not know as I do not have a crystal ball.

However any breeder that has x number of litters a year or more requires a licence. Not ALL breeders need licences; having one or not having one is not an indicator of quality or lack of quality.
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I know you don't have a crystal ball.

What I was asking was if a licensed council breeder was another name for a puppy farm, as I didn't know the answer I asked the question. As from your reply this doesn't necessarily indicate it is and this is what I wanted to know.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:08 PM
The requirements for a licence aren`t that difficult and the premises don`t seem to get inspected, so really being licenced doesn`t mean that much IMO. Puppy farms have licences.
The Kennel Club have a Good Breeder scheme, but I have also heard some bad things about that. I believe they `inspect` themselves which seems a bit daft.
I think the best way is to go and look at the place and see the conditions of the premises and the dogs. If there are any places they don`t want to show you, I would want to know why.
Here is a bit of info from the Dogs Trust.
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/p/pup...g/default.aspx
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Ahh that makes sense, thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it. x
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:12 PM
doesnt mean they are a puppy farm no. it just means they breed a number of litters per year.

as for hushing dogs in the background, i have to do this sometimes when on the phone if they are being noisy. and as for being abrupt he may have been busy. he could of been in the middle of feeding puppies etc if he has litters.
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Thing is the email said ask for Sopie, there was no sopie there. When I questioned him about being a farm he was very quick and abrupt. Yes he may have been busy but why email saying ask for Sophie and then when I ring there isn't one there. It just smelled fishy to me. I had no idea PF had licenses. I am learning xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:15 PM
The Kennel Club runs an Accredited Breeder scheme.

Details are here.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/accreditedbreederscheme

The Law re Licensed Breeders

Under the Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999, those breeders breeding five or more litters per year may need to be licensed. However, a local authority may still classify a dog breeder as being commercial - and therefore requiring a licence - even if the person breeds fewer than five litters per year, if in the local authority's opinion that person is deemed as breeding for commercial gain.

If breeders are in any doubt as to their eligibility under the Act, the Kennel Club advises that they contact their local Environmental Health Office for further clarification. If you need to be licensed, the Kennel Club advises that you obtain a copy of the Act so that you are fully aware of its contents and your responsibilities.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by jeeves View Post
Thing is the email said ask for Sopie, there was no sopie there. When I questioned him about being a farm he was very quick and abrupt. Yes he may have been busy but why email saying ask for Sophie and then when I ring there isn't one there. It just smelled fishy to me. I had no idea PF had licenses. I am learning xx
sophie may not have been there? just a thought. dog breeders have other things to do too.
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2011, 06:25 PM
No, I asked for Sophie, he said there isn't a Sophie working here. I asked about the pup for sale and he said which one we have loads for sale, Labradors, labradoodles, poodles, collies etc
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >