Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Boarding Kennel charges

A question about boarding kennel charges has arisen on a general forum of which I am a member, with nobody seemingly in agreement as to how much a "good and reputable" kennel should charge per dog per day.

Amounts have been quoted from £10 to up to £25 a day [this is in the UK] and I wondered what Dogsey people would consider to be a reasonable charge.

[This is just out of curiosity on my part 'cos I am nosy not with any ulterior motive]
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
My local kennels charge £12 per day but I don't like leaving Molly there so I use a home boarder who charges £15 per day.

I think price really isn't much of an indicator of anything but I do think £15-£20 is a reasonable charge. All the places I called charged round about £15 per day and all were very nice and places I would be happy to leave my dog.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I've only ever left my dogs at one kennels which is about 12 miles away. They charge £15-19 per day for my lot. Jenzi is the cheapest as she's the smallest. At 18 months old nearly she's a small female GSD. Whereas Zane costs £19 per day and he's half as big again as he should be.

I wouldn't leave them anywhere else adn they actually enjoy going. They get treats, walks, tiem spent with each of them and something I noticed from day 1 is that there is NO small. Not even of bleach or cleaning fluids. Nothing.

It's a small, private kennels and if I had the land and could afford to set up myuself, I'd definitely do it but in such a way that I pinch their business model and make sure I give the dogs the same service mine get when they go there.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Tilly is going to home boarding at the behaviourists, it's a lovely setting with plenty of fenced off land & it's £18 a day which I think is reasonable.
Anything is reasonable if it gives you peace of mind they will be well cared for & exercised I think!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:23 PM
where i work its £7.50 for a cat, £10.20 for a small dog, £10.70 for a medium dog and £11.20 for a big dog. But i do think this is to cheep.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2011, 05:10 PM
£12.45 a day for the Dobermanns
£11.45 a day for the staffy
£10.95 a day for the terrier mix
£2.00 a day for heating as they go into kennels in January and share a very large kennel and run.
I looked at loads before deciding on the one we use which was by far the best available for miles around and price is no indicator of quality or care in my opinion.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
A question about boarding kennel charges has arisen on a general forum of which I am a member, with nobody seemingly in agreement as to how much a "good and reputable" kennel should charge per dog per day.

Amounts have been quoted from £10 to up to £25 a day [this is in the UK] and I wondered what Dogsey people would consider to be a reasonable charge.

[This is just out of curiosity on my part 'cos I am nosy not with any ulterior motive]
Well I would not be coughing up £25 per day for my dogs thank you, but I think these either reflect London loading or the "boutique" kennels which have home furnishings etc!

I think having this sort of kennel has a higher risk of infecton etc so prefer the basic kennel which charges differing prices depending on size of dogs and if dogs (from the same house) share.

I certainly would not be paying more than £15 per day for one dog.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Never having used kennels, why are dogs charged according to size? Don't they all get the same sized kennel?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Never having used kennels, why are dogs charged according to size? Don't they all get the same sized kennel?
No, there are various sizes. Also, small dogs eat less food!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone - very interested to see what people pay/think. The first time Pereg had to go into kennels was because of an emergency hospital admission and my Vet recommended the place - I had no idea that there were any in the area.

She was collected by the owner, and I had a full report on how she had gotten on when I was home and he brought her home. The main comment was that she was "very shy" but settled very quickly, so he let her out of the kennel to be with his own four dogs.

They have boarding facilities for a maximum of 12 dogs, each in large kennels with covered runs, and a massive secure garden-cum-park area. Boarded dogs are taken out on long leashes at least twice a day but are not normally mixed for safety reasons. The kennels are not their main business as they are wholesalers for all dog, cat and bird products, with a hanger-type sales area.

Since that first time Pereg has gone for daycare when I have had to be out for more than just a couple of hours, always being collected and brought home again. The place is on a neighbouring Moshav, maybe 15 minutes away by car. I had not seen it before she went the first time but that, as I said, was an emergency situation, but I have since been a couple of times with my dog trainer - firstly he wanted to see it for future boarding of his own two dogs, and the second time to go buy some things.

When she goes for daycare Pereg has the run of the place - her special friend being the biggest, fluffiest, white dog I have ever seen! Terrified me the first time I saw him, but Pereg and he apparently spend all their time together when she is there, playing together and roaming around. She is happy to go and happy to be there.

They know that she has now developed epilepsy but are still happy to have her whenever I want, and will adopt her as one of their own in the event of my death, if I pre-decease her.

They charge me ~£7 a day, which includes collecting her and bringing her home, but I do not know if that is their standard charge. I know that the very large boarding kennels near the airport charge a heck of a lot more, but boarding is obviously that place's sole business.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >