View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
If you have her papers then the pedigree will be OK. The letters and numbers you have quoted just refer to which of the breed record supplements their names were recorded in (I think) and there is one every quarter.
Becky
Owens
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I was told by the couple who sold her to us that they were going to use her for breeding....however, the papers are still in the breeders name as they had never bothered to transfer the details to their's inc the microchip papers.
There is an option on the KC papers to transfer the registered ownership to myself and my partner and to get a 5 generation pedigree at the same time. Is this worth doing? And would this make a difference if we decided to try and train/work her? Also, with her being a year old...is she now too old to begin training? As this is something my partner and I would like to get into.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I've no doubt someone will jump down my neck for this ( ), but with my breed (Border Collies), I was told not to start training (agility-type training) until they were 18 months old, because their shoulder-joints would not be sufficiently developed, and could be damaged.

As to basic stuff ("sit", "come" etc.), is it ever too late to start?

Snorri
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 12:29 PM
As a rehome then you should be ok as far as her having been docked - but if you go to any [ activities ] shows make sure you have the certificate with you to be on the safe side - you won`t be able to Show her at any where the public pay to enter though so if you had that in mind you won`t be able to, [ I`m assuming you would be interested in that side of things anyway as she`s from working rather than Show lines but just trying to cover the bases as much as possible for you ]
If she is already registered on the Breed register you will need to make sure ownership is transferred for certification to compete in KC activities, but if she isn`t registered already to compete in any activities you will need to do that if you decide you would like to give it a go.

I can`t get the KC site to load at the moment but hopefully someone can post you the link to the Field Trials KC officer contact info and to the forms if you need them
Owens
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Well she is a VERY energetic girl lol....She is bouncing around the room
I am having trouble getting her to sit never mind stay lol Can see I will have my work cut out
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
I've no doubt someone will jump down my neck for this ( ), but with my breed (Border Collies), I was told not to start training (agility-type training) until they were 18 months old, because their shoulder-joints would not be sufficiently developed, and could be damaged.

As to basic stuff ("sit", "come" etc.), is it ever too late to start?

Snorri
They can start at 12 months Snorri, low heights initially then working up - all dogs can compete in Agility at the full height for their size category at 18 months old, with the larger or slow maturing breeds though it`s wise to take it easy on the height training til at least that age, [ 18 months + ], but BCs are usually developed enough to start low level agility training at 12 months though
Age of training for Field Trials would also depend on size and physical maturity age of each dog involved so you are right to mention that aspect

Owens no she is`nt too old to start training, far from it, hope the above helps clarify that for you
Owens
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks Patch you have been most helpful!
If in the future we decided we would like to breed them...How do you go about becoming a registered, professional breeder? I adore my girls so I would only want the best for them both and any litters they had....
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2009, 06:48 AM
(AB3) and (AE4) are the issues of the Breed Record Supplement in which the registration of these dogs was recorded. So AE4 means that the bitch was registered in the fourth quarter of 2004, whilst the dog was registered (AB3) in the third quarter of 2001.

Yes, you should transfer her into your ownership. Whether you want to get an official pedigree is a matter of choice.

If she is working bred she will be highly energetic - these dogs are bred to run all day. You must do some sort of structured training with her or you will have real problems as she will become noisy and destructive. She needs to exercise her mind as well as her body, so even if you don't work her in the field you should be thinking about obedience or agility to keep her occupied.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2