View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:24 AM
LOL who said I give all my money to rescue?

But its your money so upto you what you spend it on I just stated IMO £3500 is a lot to pay for any dog unless its made of gold.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:25 AM
My dogs are worth far more then mere gold.
Becky
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I am sure they are just I dont look at mine in monetary terms.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Neither do I which is why the price I paid for them is irrelevant. I was just pointing out the cost implications of importing so people are aware.
Becky
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Just been thinking , those importing from abroad for breeding/showing. How do the breed standards compare?
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Just been thinking , those importing from abroad for breeding/showing. How do the breed standards compare?
It is the same as the UK breed standard for my breed.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Should be no discernible difference really in my book, esp if importing from country of origin. Most FL judges say how close UK standard in the ring is to Finland. The written standard has some differences but that is as much to do with KC copyright as interpretation and UK breeders taking a different route, I daresay other breeds are different.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I was just thinking about a show I watched ref the Rough Collie (USA). I think size may have been the only difference. Couple of inches, I guess that isn't much of a difference?
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Pretty much the same - we have taken two UK-bred dogs back to the Czech Republic and won the CAC (same as our CC) at the Club show, whilst my imported Czech bitch won 7 BOBs at champ shows last year and ended up top dog in the breed.

On the subject of costs. Yes it IS expensive to import - but if you have a breed that originates in another country, and you want to have the best bloodlines, you usually have to go back to that country to get hold of them. I can't understand the people who seem to have a need to have a dog that is imported just for the perceived status that it brings - it takes a long time to research bloodlines and become accepted by breeders in other countries, but it's well worth the effort in terms of the benefits not only to your own breeding programme but to the breed as a whole in the UK.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
LOL who said I give all my money to rescue?

But its your money so upto you what you spend it on I just stated IMO £3500 is a lot to pay for any dog unless its made of gold.
Well, hopefully those spending £3500 on importing a dog will be doing so to add to the gene pool in this country which can only be a good thing, especially in terms of hereditary health problems as you need to keep breeding out to eradicate them

We have looked at importing before (too expensive at the moment! ) but it is something i may do in the future.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >