View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Just reading this thread has made me realise how lucky I was to be living abroad and able to be in close contact with the breeder of my import. It gave me a chance to really get to know them and their dogs and them to also get to know and trust me. I did pay more than what I would have paid here, nearly double actually, but that was the going rate at the time with all breeders. I actually found that most breeds were more expensive over there so not just in my breed.
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2009, 06:39 PM
my coonhound zara is 1 of the 1st litter in this country .the breeder went to america and brought back the dogs he said it worked out about £3000 in total this depends on the price of the dog obviously,all the dogs i fancied i couldnt seem to find in this country but then we all have individual tastes dont we.let us know what you decide.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Blimey-O-Reilly, it's expensive to import then huh?

I guess unless I win the lottery, Frenchies are out of the question for us then!!
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I know its just my opinion but to spend over £3000 on a puppy from another country just baffles me when there is so many unwanted dogs in this country.
Surely there is poodles and dobes in this country?
Holly-Rosee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
oh i've always loved coonhounds'what colour did you get and have you got any pics to post as i would love to see them
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I know its just my opinion but to spend over £3000 on a puppy from another country just baffles me when there is so many unwanted dogs in this country.
Surely there is poodles and dobes in this country?
Not everyone wants a rescue and importing is about a lot more than just wanting a pup!
Becky
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 07:56 AM
I didnt mean just rescues surely there are good breeders of poodles and dobes in this country.
And I said just my opinion but £3500 on a single dog seems scandolous.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Until the Pet Passport came into being imports were few and far between, this meant that (and this applies to all breeds) the gene pools in this country were limited. Also in Germany they can only breed from health tested, measured stock which means over all their dogs health was better than those here in the UK, where even today breeders don't take advantage of the schemes available.
I don't see me spending my own money on a dog as scandalous. It may not make sense to some people but then I don't understand why people waste their money on fags and booze and have nothing to show for it but I wouldn't say they were 'scandalous' to do so!
Becky
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Did you import a dog for breeding purposes or for a pet?
I think to most people though £3500 is a lot of money for a dog especially in todays climate.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 08:16 AM
All my dogs are pets first and foremost but yes I wanted them for breeding as well. I don't care whether people think it's a lot of money for a dog. If they don't want to pay that much then don't.
I really don't see what your problem is. If you want to give all your money to rescue then do so, me importing a dog or two isn't stopping you from doing that!
Becky
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >