Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I would work on disapproving of any "protective" behaviour - it is our job as humans to protect our dogs - not the other way round .
that's quite a good observation on dog behaviour, muddiwarx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I am quite surprised that it now appears impossible to offer genuine advice to anyone without being shot down for it.

I agree and also feel saddened to see this trend spreading..
Such a shame , when all the advice given here is constructive.

Oh did I mention...... JET SKIS

Bandit once chased one the length of Black Rock Sands

What with JK . bikes, skates anything with wheels... the b*gger spends a lot of time on the lead.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I feel I do however have to comment on the touchiness of this thread. People have offered good and all very similar advice to a scenario given and been criticised for it. Advice is just that, whether you choose to take it is up to you, however to call others patronising when its not what you want to hear isn't the way to deal with it.

I am quite surprised that it now appears impossible to offer genuine advice to anyone without being shot down for it.
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree and also feel saddened to see this trend spreading..
I am not surprised at all and feel it is a consequence of a few the negative comments being made across the site by a tiny minority of members. I suggest anyone who sees this kind of thing happening and feels concerned about it reports the threads involved using the report post button .

I would say there has been some excellent advice given in this thread and thank those who have taken the time to post at length Of course not everyone may choose to accept your advise but it may be of help to some readers .
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Toro had her first jogger around 24 weeks old, we were at the dog designated area in the park, I was speaking to a lady with a spaniel at the time, didn't see the jogger coming and Toro took off after her, the jogger was screaming throwing her hands around and proceeded to hit Toro in the face with her water bottle, at which point I politely told the jogger she was infact hitting a 24 week old pup and if she didn't stop it I'd kick 10 different colours of sh.. out of her...1. she was running through the dog designated area 2. I didn't see her coming or I would have got Toro back on lead and 3. maybe joggers should start carrying lepar bells, that would help us a lot !
All dogs chase, and as the lady said with the spaniel joggers especially seem to be a law unto themselves...
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 10:50 AM
When Jet was a pup he used to herd joggers. Looked funny but it was an absolute nightmare for a while. He would get in front of them and crouch. They tried to attempt continue and ended up falling over him.

He then moved on to bikes (cured that one), swans (also cured - luckily he didn't like the water), geese (didn't do that more than once, he got disappointed when they flew away). Footballs during football games (the guys were usually really nice, generally whoever last kicked the ball Jet had just intercepted got a bollocking from his mates for kicking a ball at a poor defenseless dog and they always helped up catch him). He now mostly herds groups of dog walkers which isn't really a big problem and his football and rugby ball. Which is much better as dog people tend to be a bit more forgiving.

Good luck I'm sure you'll get it sorted. If you do use a long line make sure you don't knock anyone over. Jet has knocked more people over on a long line than without.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I think joggers, cyclists and other park users need to be educated in how to deal with such a situation the same way as dogs need to be taught how to cope. However, nothing in life is perfect and these things will happen as dogs do possess their own minds and there will be situations when something like this happens and ALL parties need to be aware of how to deal with it.
Becky
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I am not surprised at all and feel it is a consequence of a few the negative comments being made across the site by a tiny minority of members. I suggest anyone who sees this kind of thing happening and feels concerned about it reports the threads involved using the report post button .

I would say there has been some excellent advice given in this thread and thank those who have taken the time to post at length Of course not everyone may choose to accept your advise but it may be of help to some readers .
Report people for being sensitive to some judgmental/critical posts. I've heard it all now
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:52 PM
CheekyChihuahua, may I just ask, who was being judgmental in this thread? I just don't see it. A couple of members were blunt and to the point, me included, but I don't see that as being judgmental. The obvious solution was to put the dog on a lead to go past joggers. Someone mentioned that and then got stick from the OP. Then others agreed with putting the dog on a lead and then the OP and you accused people of being judgmental. Suggesting to put the dog on a lead was not patronizing or judgmental -- just a the most obvious solution to the problem.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
CheekyChihuahua, may I just ask, who was being judgmental in this thread? I just don't see it. A couple of members were blunt and to the point, me included, but I don't see that as being judgmental. The obvious solution was to put the dog on a lead to go past joggers. Someone mentioned that and then got stick from the OP. Then others agreed with putting the dog on a lead and then the OP and you accused people of being judgmental. Suggesting to put the dog on a lead was not patronizing or judgmental -- just a the most obvious solution to the problem.

Labradork, it doesn't matter what I think, does it? I'm talking about the OP and what she thought. To hear a Mod egging people on to report people that are, basically sensitive for whatever reason, just was too much to ignore

I will say that some people were overly blunt in my opinion and I don't have time to go back through and see who said what and so on........................ I read the whole thread in one go last night and I felt that some were harsh in their approach to the OP.

I understand why the OP received some "advice" in the way that she did, that's all I'm saying.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Just to put in another perspective. Do we really need to be blunt and to the point when posting?

Could we not all think about how our written word may be percieved and take extra care that we express our well meaning advice and views in the best way possible?

Then hopefully we could have nice discussions that people benefit from rather than upset on both sides.
Page 7 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >